Whip antenna worn down from parking garages

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC1

I can see this is turning into something akin to the Ford vs Chevy argument. I still stand behind my post, you can respond with all the modeling, and theoretical anecdotal evidence, and what manufacturer models what (they're in business to sell you something after all), but when the rubber meets the road the 1/4 is still the best choice given what I wrote.
Anyway, this is getting a bit off topic.

jhooten

For those with short attention spans who can't make it all the way to the end here is the conclusion of the article:
"In the real world the actual gain difference between a 1/4 wave antenna and a 5/8th wave can be anywhere from no gain or a very slight loss up to a maximum of 2dB gain over a 1/4 wave. The 5/8th wave is never really worse, explaining why people have no problems using them. This is true for any repeater antenna height. The primary advantage of a 5/8th wave in mobile operation is increased antenna height, not from an actual gain increase."

NC1,
There is one reason to select a 1/4 wave over a 5/8 wave vhf antenna. A 1/4 wave vhf is 3/4 wave on uhf and requires no further matching to the feed line. If one wants to use low and high band vhf with the same antenna a 5/8 wave high band antenna is very close to a 1/4 wave low band.

Last edited:

NC1

There is one reason to select a 1/4 wave over a 5/8 wave vhf antenna. A 1/4 wave vhf is 3/4 wave on uhf and requires no further matching to the feed line. If one wants to use low and high band vhf with the same antenna a 5/8 wave high band antenna is very close to a 1/4 wave low band.

We are not using a repeater, and we are not using it for dual band, those arguments are null and void. There is no matching needed either because it is a single purpose antenna. The difference in terrain elevation when using a 5/8 has a greater potential of having the signal "miss" due to the narrower horizontal pattern.

The 1/4 wave antenna will not suffer the same consequences due to a broader pattern. As said many times, an antenna will receive the same way it transmits, so it stands to logical reason that a more focused transmit pattern with the 5/8 will also result in a limited receive pattern when elevation comes into play. Take into account that if you are parked or driving on an incline, it will also be limiting on the 5/8 in terms of receiving signals above and below it's narrowed line of sight.

Theory and fancy charts are a good starting point, but then it meets the real world and things don't quite work out so well. It's called Antenna Theory - notice the word "Theory" is in there, and for a very good reason, because application and experience wins every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.