Whistler 1040 antenna help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I am using a Whistler 1040 portable. The antenna i am using is a 2 foot long rubber antenna. I get VHF and UHF signals fne however the P-25 signal comes id distorted? Is there a better antenna i can use?. I would very much appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
John
N8ZHF

could be 2 things...1 simulcast system.....whistlers are prone to not to receive the audio cuts in and out or there is none....
2 could be encrypted....the best way to find out is check the RR database....

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are using the WV SIRN system, make sure the system type is P25 Auto, try with SuperTrack decode algorithm on and off, and turn off digital AGC. Also, try with attenuator on and off. Which site or sites are you using?

tvengr

Well Known Member
At least one site must be on for the system to work. If set to Stationary, all sites will be scanned. If set to Auto, only the site with the best signal will be scanned. If using only a single site, set Multi-Site to Off.

I am doing it manually. However when i go to program Belmont County it looks like i will have to use the software. With the software i am not really sure where to start. I am sorry to be a bother. When i started in the fire department in 1984 8 channels covered the 3 county are so i am not used to all of the digital stuff.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I use Butel ARC500 for my programming. I also have Win500. There have been some problems with Win500 keys. Do you presently have any software? On the scanner, press PROG and EDIT, go to the system and SEL. If you scroll down, you will see Atten, DIG AGC, SuperTrack, and Multi-Site under the EXPERT settings. Software is sooo.... much easier.

DEL134

Premium Subscriber
I had same issues with my WS1040 until I found the DG Int Prime setting. Thanks to some one else here. I slowly up'd the value. Started at 60 now up to 85. To access it press <prg> <func> <F3> then scroll down.

DEL134

Premium Subscriber
I'm using ARC 500. It has a built in user manual. And I use the 'virtual control' window on the PC screen alot. One thing I found out the hard way is when you load the scanner with the info from the PC, it overwrites everything. So if you already have some good scan lists, load them from the radio to the PC, then add to it before you reload it on the scanner. If you've already done some programming with out a PC, you'll find the PC easier on the thumbs :)

WB9YBM

Hello Everyone,
I am using a Whistler 1040 portable. The antenna i am using is a 2 foot long rubber antenna. I get VHF and UHF signals fne however the P-25 signal comes id distorted? Is there a better antenna i can use?. I would very much appreciate any suggestions.

I've never heard of antennas distorting a signal (of course that doesn't mean it couldn't happen, I guess) so I think the distortion is coming from a different source, like maybe the audio amp...

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have The ARC 500 software. If we could get together that would be great.
Please read your scanner (Download from Scanner) and attach your ARC500 file and I will check it for problems. You will have to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. If your click on Trunk Systems in ARC500, you will be able to easily change attenuator, digital AGC, SuperTrack and Multi-Site.

Status
Not open for further replies.