Whistler 1040 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is there anyone in the Houston/Harris County Texas area that can help me program the Whistler 1040 ??

-Dave-
Welcome to RadioReference, Dave

You would be more likely to find someone in your area by having your post moved to the Texas Regional Forum. (I'm in Dallas, so would not be as familiar with the systems in your area as someone in the Houston Metro would be.)

To get this moved to the Texas forum, click on the red outlined triangle in the upper right corner of your original post, to 'report this thread'. In the memo box that comes up, make your move request there. Do NOT start a new thread, as Forum rules frown on posting the same thing in more than one section. A moderator will see your move request and take care of it for you.

You might also post an inquiry on the HoustonScan Yahoo group.

Also, take a look at this Wiki page, and explore the links on it.

Are you using software? If so, be sure to specify which of the three most common programs you have. These are Win500, PSREdit500, and ARC500. Links are on the Wiki page linked above.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve..

I'm using the ARC500 and also the PSR EDIT 500... which one should I use ??
I prefer WIN500, PSREdit500, and ARC500, in that order. However, all three have 30-day free trials, before you have to purchase the program. You can try all three, and see which one you like best. Any of the three will program your scanner; they just handle it a little differently. Use whichever one you are most comfortable with. You may find that the user interface of one is preferable because, perhaps, it is similar to another program you've used in the past.

WIN500 includes logging and recording. PSREdit500 has recording. ARC500 Basic does not do logging or recording; you have to upgrade to the "Pro" version for an additional $30 to get those options.

If you can't get a response from someone closer, I, or any number of other members, can create a file for your area, if you specify your approximate location (city, N/S/E/W), and agencies of interest. I know that virtually everything in the Houston Metro area is on TxWARN P25, other than a few conventional channels and a couple of small systems. However, City of Houston, and some of the suburbs are using P25 Phase II, which your scanner does not handle. However, you can hear at least some of Houston activity by following the programming on this Wiki page. Remember that the sites do not all carry every talkgroup. Usually, you would select the site(s) closest to the suburb cities of interest, though that is not always the case. Someone in the area would be much more familiar with which sites to select for specific areas.

For the TxWARN P25 system, the talkgroups with a T in the mode column are Phase II, so skip those. Also skip the E (encrypted) ones. You're looking for the groups labeled with a D, which are P25 Phase I, and your scanner can use those.

Status
Not open for further replies.