WS1040: Whistler 1040 USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE8RDS

I just got a Whistler 1040 scratch and dent for a good deal and I'm looking to get programming software.

I downloaded ARC500, Win500 and PSREdit and only PSREdit will read or write the scanner and only in serial port mode.

The other software's seem to want FTDI drivers so I loaded the latest but my com ports didn't change.

Does anyone know if the factory Whistler cable is FTDI or not?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Jeff
KE8RDS

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
PSREdit500 Version 1.93 Release 17 (Released April 17, 2019)

• Due to changes in the current version of the Whistler USB programming cables, two default options in the software have been changed. This change will not affect existing installations but will set these options in new installs. These options are located in the Serial Port Settings area under the Configuration menu. The settings that have been changed are as follows:
    • Cable access mode has been changed from Direct to COM port by default. The new cables do not use the FTDI chipset so using the Direct access mode is no longer an option with these cables.
    • The option to add additional time while uploading a configuration to the scanner has been enabled by default. The current chipset no longer handles an upload at full speed so enabling this option is necessary.

KE8RDS

Thanks for the replies, I did just find the info laidback posted. I have Win500 and PSREdit working, although PSREdit will not run control, I emailed the dev and he looking into it. I really like the Arc500 but it doesn't seem to work with the newer Whistler cables and I don't think I want to buy another cable.

In the end control is not really that useful on a handheld. So I'll probably just buy the PSREdit product.

Regards, Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.