Whistler 1040. Will not scan trunking freq. HELP before I throw out window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sondeesrider

All joking aside. I have programmed my trunking freq and it will not scan those frequencies. I know I am a blond but dang usually I am not this dumb. I know I am missing probably one little detail when I put the frequencies in. I had to do this manually because we have nothing but Apple computers in my home. I would actually like to do a factory reset and clear out all of the convchannels then try to add only the trunk channels first to see if this is a bad scanner. Help and thank you in advance guys!! Also newbie here I had scanners years ago but this truck stuff is over my head.

I have programmed my trunking freq and it will not scan those frequencies.
Do you have scan lists enabled?

See here:

Last edited:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
This guy has a load of how to videos for that scanner especially on Youtube.

Sondeesrider

Already watched these actually followed him while I programmed it. But thank you
Actually I wiped the whole scanner just put in the frequencies per these exact instructions and still nothing. It will not even show the boxed "T" in the upper part of the screen like his.

Sondeesrider

All joking aside. I have programmed my trunking freq and it will not scan those frequencies. I know I am a blond but dang usually I am not this dumb. I know I am missing probably one little detail when I put the frequencies in. I had to do this manually because we have nothing but Apple computers in my home. I would actually like to do a factory reset and clear out all of the convchannels then try to add only the trunk channels first to see if this is a bad scanner. Help and thank you in advance guys!! Also newbie here I had scanners years ago but this truck stuff is over my head.
I have now wiped the entire system via factory reset went step by step putting in only the trunked frequencies in and still nothing. I even analyzed each frequency and I get nothing on each.

N7YUO

When my WS1040 says nothing enabled, it usually means that I have no scan banks turned on.
I just tried it. It had banks 1, 5, & 10 on.
I pressed keys 1, 5, & 0 to turn those banks off.
after a few seconds, the display shows NOTHING ENABLED.

So, turn the thing on, and when it says nothing enabled, press 1 or any other number keys.

Win500, by default, puts the new Talk Groups (TGRPs) in bank 1.

Open your Win500 program, select TSYS Objects.
If you have more than one site programmed, select a Trunked site close to your location.
Look at the right side of Win500. It shows what bank your TGRPs are in.
Or, maybe it shows NO TSYS OBJECTS, which means that no Talk Groups have been programmed.

What about your Site Frequencies?
If this is a Motorola system, you will need to enable the CUSTOM TRUNKING TABLES.

fireside

Premium Subscriber
I have now wiped the entire system via factory reset went step by step putting in only the trunked frequencies in and still nothing. I even analyzed each frequency and I get nothing on each.
That means you are not receiving the control channel for the system you are trying to listen to.

Premium Subscriber
Win500, by default, puts the new Talk Groups (TGRPs) in bank 1.

Open your Win500 program, select TSYS Objects.
If you have more than one site programmed, select a Trunked site close to your location.
Look at the right side of Win500. It shows what bank your TGRPs are in.
Or, maybe it shows NO TSYS OBJECTS, which means that no Talk Groups have been programmed.

Please correct me if I am wrong (I havent used Win500 in a ages) This is not Apple compatible. Correct?

OP said in first post that he has access only to Apple products in his home.

hill

Premium Subscriber
It would be best if you had one of the programs that works with the WS 1040. Then you can download the system right into the scanner. Also if doesn't work someone on this site can look at your programming file to see if they can fix it.

As all this radio software runs on just windows computers would just find a cheap one or used one. Doesn't need to be latest or greatest one, even ones with older operating systems still will work.

KG4DRF

Suggest sending back to Whistler or exchanging if still time. 1st 1040 we had Stopped Receiving trunk systems. After going thru extended warranty group sent it off to get worked on. After putting new part in got sent a e-credit for wally-world as new part completely killed scanner while guy was working on it. So far no problems with 2nd one.

Sondeesrider

Ok guys got mine working finally !! Also programmed my parents scanner that was working perfect at my house. I take it to theirs I get 2 to 3 bars of service and it will not pick up anything. I drove down the road got 4 bars waited for some type radio traffic and nadda. Any ideas before they shell out more money on a antenna? They are in Robbins NC, I live in Vass. They only thing downloaded is the Moore County NC channels and Troop H of highway patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.