Whistler 1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
This is one of the oldest scanner designs for digital trunking, originally called the Radio Shack Pro 106. At the time it was introduced (in 2008), it was one of the best, but newer radio systems, especially simulcast can cause problems. Your distance and type of transmission, which you didn't state, can make a great difference. An external antenna can help if distance is the problem, but not if you are in a low spot or have hilly regions between you and the transmitter.

81greer

Premium Subscriber
This is one of the oldest scanner designs for digital trunking, originally called the Radio Shack Pro 106. At the time it was introduced (in 2008), it was one of the best, but newer radio systems, especially simulcast can cause problems. Your distance and type of transmission, which you didn't state, can make a great difference. An external antenna can help if distance is the problem, but not if you are in a low spot or have hilly regions between you and the transmitter.
Good info. I have a Pro 651 which I understand is the same as the 1040. The pro 651 has issues and couldn't find parts. I had uploaded my program into my son's 651 and it worked fine. Must just be the distance thing.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I live in a high population area with three colleges (one the home of the Big House) and Detroit only about 30 miles away, so there are a lot of things to hear. It is the same as the 651. I purchased it the year it came out at the Dayton Hamfest, and have not had any problems.
Noticed the Ford logo. My youngest son was an engineer at Ford, and my older son worked for the Ford family as a tutor. If you ever visit this area, plan on a trip to Greenfield Village, where you can even ride in a genuine Model T and take a side trip to the Ford pick up truck factory.

81greer

Premium Subscriber
I live in a high population area with three colleges (one the home of the Big House) and Detroit only about 30 miles away, so there are a lot of things to hear. It is the same as the 651. I purchased it the year it came out at the Dayton Hamfest, and have not had any problems.
Noticed the Ford logo. My youngest son was an engineer at Ford, and my older son worked for the Ford family as a tutor. If you ever visit this area, plan on a trip to Greenfield Village, where you can even ride in a genuine Model T and take a side trip to the Ford pick up truck factory.
I would love to visit where ford trucks are made. I do drive an F250 Thanks for the info

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes on distance if you can get farther away and still get say 2 bars of signal you can lessen the number of towers your getting on a simulcast system and reception improves. Also your son might be in a county that isnt simulcast so it would work there, I.e. Allegan 9 towers, Ottawa 7 towers and then Kent which is in testing and will be simulcast with some 13 towers is simulcast and thats likely your issue.
Dont know where your son lives, but probably farther away from the towers and/or in a non simulcast county.
This link we have labeled the county systems as simulcast under 'System Frequencies' https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100

Assumption its simulcast -
I have worked with others in Saginaw and midland counties both having four towers and the people report back little and mostly no reception at all on that scanner or its desktop ws1065.
See this thread and my message #2, disregard message 7 as whistler didnt persue that -

You can try turning on the attenuater, but from experience with the above it doesnt work.
What you you can try is the paperclip antenna, less signal is better!

Ultimately if that doesnt work your looking at getting any of the Uniden digitals as they work much better in simulcast.
Portables - 325P2, 436HP, Home patrol 2 is like a pseudo like desktop-portable.
The only one that is designed for simulcast and its pricey, but would work is the SDS100., they are in high demand and often sold out all over.

Maybe sell the ws1040 and put that money towards a Uniden?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I may have thought you were someone else based on your name, it would really help us out if you let us know where you are in your profile or on here. All we can provide are just generic replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.