whistler 1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry59

Premium Subscriber
have had a whistler 1040 for about 2 years now and no problems, the other day when turning on, all i got was static, when bought i had Okwin professinally download for the Lawton area been working fine with the NEW digital freq, now all i get is static what is up with this and what is the "fix"?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I see Lawton and the whole state has gone from the an old Motorola type II smartzone to P25 digital radio some weeks ago. Radio must have been quiet for quite a while? You'll have to reprogram it.

Look at

Frequencies are here for Commanche county and then farther down for the talkgroups.
Oklahoma Wireless Interoperability Network (OKWIN) (P25) Trunking System, Various, Oklahoma - Scanner Frequencies Read the section under "Latest News" about Lawton

I see they use a 3 tower simulcast now and whistler radios don't fair too well with that, once reprogrammed probably will notice some, maybe lots, a long shot not much audio that is garbed or at times no audio. Closer to a tower the better you are.

Last edited:

mam1081

Feed Provider
Jerry, if you need assistance re programming, let us know. The 1040 should work on the new state stuff, but maybe not well (simulcast issues in Lawton). I have some software for that radio and would be happy to assist (you can download your program, send it to me, and I'll do the update so you can load it back in your radio). Let me know!

Jerry59

Premium Subscriber
mam1081 is now PDR 25, Okwin thinking about your offer and how to do that dowload

DUH P25

mam1081

Feed Provider
There is a program you can get to "read" your scanner to the computer...several out there, but PSREdit - Configuration Editors for Whistler, GRE, and Radio Shack scanners gives you a 30 day trial, as does SALE Whistler WS1040 WS1065 software RadioShack PRO-106 PRO106 PRO-197 PRO197 PSR-500 PSR-600 PRO-106 PRO106 PRO-197 PRO197 PSR500 PSR600 PRO651 PRO652 Software not win500 . If you already had another program, let me know and I'll see if I can find it too. I do have a licensed version of ARC500, so that would likely be my preference to help you with. Obviously, you'll need your programming cable for your radio too.

If you want to attempt to just program from the keyboard, here are some steps to try:

Scanner on...hit "PROG", then F2 for "edit". Scroll over until you see "TSYS" and hit the key under that. Hit the up or down arrows until you are on your OKWIN system (not sure what yours is called). Once on it, hit "EDIT". On the next menu, on type, it should be "MOT 800/900", and we want to change this to "P25 AUTO". Hit Save and get out of all the menus. This should allow the system to be searched if you had a "wildcard" programmed in. In the scanner's language, the talkgroups are different numbers now (they didn't speak hexadecimal - if they did, no other changes would be required), so the labels may not come up as they used to.

Jerry59

Premium Subscriber
ok gotcha allready have PSREedit and on it for the programming will try it and licensce

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
There is a program you can get to "read" your scanner to the computer...several out there, but PSREdit - Configuration Editors for Whistler, GRE, and Radio Shack scanners gives you a 30 day trial, as does SALE Whistler WS1040 WS1065 software RadioShack PRO-106 PRO106 PRO-197 PRO197 PSR-500 PSR-600 PRO-106 PRO106 PRO-197 PRO197 PSR500 PSR600 PRO651 PRO652 Software not win500 . If you already had another program, let me know and I'll see if I can find it too. I do have a licensed version of ARC500, so that would likely be my preference to help you with. Obviously, you'll need your programming cable for your radio too.

If you want to attempt to just program from the keyboard, here are some steps to try:

Scanner on...hit "PROG", then F2 for "edit". Scroll over until you see "TSYS" and hit the key under that. Hit the up or down arrows until you are on your OKWIN system (not sure what yours is called). Once on it, hit "EDIT". On the next menu, on type, it should be "MOT 800/900", and we want to change this to "P25 AUTO". Hit Save and get out of all the menus. This should allow the system to be searched if you had a "wildcard" programmed in. In the scanner's language, the talkgroups are different numbers now (they didn't speak hexadecimal - if they did, no other changes would be required), so the labels may not come up as they used to.
ok gotcha allready have PSREedit and on it for the programming will try it and licensce
Don't forget that PSREdit500 can import an ARC500 file. (Actually, it converts it to a PSREdit file, but the result is the same as am import.)

insuranceofedmond

Premium Subscriber
Jerry, if you need assistance re programming, let us know. The 1040 should work on the new state stuff, but maybe not well (simulcast issues in Lawton). I have some software for that radio and would be happy to assist (you can download your program, send it to me, and I'll do the update so you can load it back in your radio). Let me know!
Hi Mark-
I just purchased a 1040 and need help programming....I downloaded PSEdit500 ...now I'm lost.
Thanks
Brian

snerd

Listening.....
I live about halfway between transmitters #1 & #2 in Lawton. I get the simulcast weirdness sometimes, but usually I have to position the antenna in what I would think is the worst possible spot! Retracted, bent downward and toward back. Strong signals out this way!

Status
Not open for further replies.