WS1040: whistler 1040

thkl9

used arc500 to program fire stations in my area but doesnt stop at frequency and dont get audio if i manualy do it i get audio but miss some of call but i know that a scanner can work good by listening on line what am i doing wrong or can someone show me how to properly set this to my scanner

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
We need more info to help you, where are you, what system or agencies are you trying to listen to?

thkl9

im in olds alberta trying to listen to fire ambulance olds carstairs didsbury creamona sundrie fire i picked the towns in the list and on the other side picked mountainview county

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Go up to the blue bar at the top where it says 'RadioReference' at the left, use the pulldown and select 'Database'. You can use the map or the various pulldowns to navigate to where you are. It sounds very much like you're in an area where there are many towers that are sending traffic at the same time and the scanner is not able to deal with that well, but without more information (as noted above), that's just a guess

Mike

thkl9

what do i need to tell you i did have a look with the data base for the county there isnt to many thing listed

thkl9

if it helps you it also says nothing enabled so must be a diferent isue then to many towers
but its all in there can go to them manualy but dont work i am new to this watched you tube

thkl9

i think i might of figered it out 1 thing i did wrong i upload instead of down load to scanner but still the same all my b anks are on

tvengr

Well Known Member
Give this ARC500 file a try. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500. Go to the Scanner tab and click on Upload to Scanner. This file is setup so that you can easily select which site or sites in Mountain View Co you wish to scan. When you first upload to the scanner, all 6 sites will be scanning. You can toggle each site on and off by pressing the corresponding number of the scan list on the keypad. Scan lists as follows:

SCAN LISTS:
1. MtnVw Cremona
2. MtnVw Eagle Hill
3. MtnVw Didsbury
4. MtnVw Olds
5. MtnVw Sundre
6. MtnVw Carstairs

Attachments

• Mountain View Co GR5.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 9

tvengr

Well Known Member
Some additional notes: Did you install the driver for your cable? Which cable are you using? Different cables can require different drivers. If the correct driver is installed, when you upload to scanner, you should see a blue bar running from left to right on ARC500 and the scanner display should show the percentage of the file transferred. If the correct com port is not selected, you will not see that. With the cable plugged into the computer, you can go to the Device Manager in Windows and Ports (COM & LPT) to view the correct USB Serial Port number (Usually 3, 4, or 5). If you get the blue bar on ARC500 when you upload to scanner and the scanner still does not work, check the following: If your cable has a mono adapter on the end, remove it. The WS1040 requires a TRS stereo plug. Make sure you are plugged into the PC/IF jack on the scanner, not the headphone jack. Check that the plug is fully seated. Scanner must be on. Make sure that you look at my previous post for the file.

Last edited:

thkl9

thanks for that file you sent me its working now or i did hear 1 call so far thanks so much

thkl9

if i wanted to add ambulance for mountainveiw county i think that would be central but not sure is that hard to do

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you look in the database, it appears that most of AHS EMS is encrypted (Mode DE). No scanner can receive encrypted transmissions.

thkl9

was wondering in that regard does just the letter d means it is encrypted under cental there are some that just say d

tvengr

Well Known Member
D means digital. If the system is P25, that means P25 Phase 1 (One audio channel per frequency). A mode of T (TDMA-Time Division Multiple Access) in a P25 system means P25 Phase 2. A mode of TE means P25 Phase 2 fully encrypted. A lower case "e" means encrypted only part of the time. A P25 Phase 2 system has two audio channels (slots) per frequency. That greatly increases the capacity of a system using the same number of frequencies. The Mode D talkgroups for AHS EMS are for mutual aid only and most likely have very little traffic. All of the main talkgroups are fully encrypted. You may notice 3 more trunked systems in Mountain View County. The 2 other AHS systems are DMR. Like P25 Phase 2, DMR has 2 audio slots per frequency. ATCO Gas is NXDN, another digital format. The WS1040 is not capable of decoding P25 Phase 2, DMR, or NXDN.

thkl9

D means digital. If the system is P25, that means P25 Phase 1 (One audio channel per frequency). A mode of T (TDMA-Time Division Multiple Access) in a P25 system means P25 Phase 2. A mode of TE means P25 Phase 2 fully encrypted. A lower case "e" means encrypted only part of the time. A P25 Phase 2 system has two audio channels (slots) per frequency. That greatly increases the capacity of a system using the same number of frequencies. The Mode D talkgroups for AHS EMS are for mutual aid only and most likely have very little traffic. All of the main talkgroups are fully encrypted. You may notice 3 more trunked systems in Mountain View County. The 2 other AHS systems are DMR. Like P25 Phase 2, DMR has 2 audio slots per frequency. ATCO Gas is NXDN, another digital format. The WS1040 is not capable of decoding P25 Phase 2, DMR, or NXDN.
thanks