Whistler 1065 and Cleveland Ohio

mjschwartz2003

Premium Subscriber
ive been reading the forums and understand about Cleveland and the county being simlucast....i am not having any issues receiving but occasonally a channel will be garbled.....i think it might be some type of encryption as it only happens on dispatch or surveillance ids.....any comments or ideas?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ive been reading the forums and understand about Cleveland and the county being simlucast....i am not having any issues receiving but occasonally a channel will be garbled.....i think it might be some type of encryption as it only happens on dispatch or surveillance ids.....any comments or ideas?
Looking at the system in the databse,

the surveillance and tactical talkgroups are tagged as encrypted. While dispatch is not, it may be that they are using it selectively, for certain isues, and no one has submitted that to the database. The capital DE in the mode column for a talkgroup means that full-time encryption is in place. If, instead, that was tagged as De (capital D, lower case e), then encryption would only be in use part of the time. On the WS1065, encryption usually sounds like a jumbled mess of sounds, sometimes described as "R2D2 on steroids". If that describes what you are hearing, then that is encryption.

When you hear "garbled transmissions", are you hearing other talkgroups, such as fire or EMS without issues? If they were garbled as well, then that would tip the scales towards simulcast. But if they are clear & understandable, then encryption, not simulcast, is your likely issue.

mjschwartz2003

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the system in the databse,

the surveillance and tactical talkgroups are tagged as encrypted. While dispatch is not, it may be that they are using it selectively, for certain isues, and no one has submitted that to the database. The capital DE in the mode column for a talkgroup means that full-time encryption is in place. If, instead, that was tagged as De (capital D, lower case e), then encryption would only be in use part of the time. On the WS1065, encryption usually sounds like a jumbled mess of sounds, sometimes described as "R2D2 on steroids". If that describes what you are hearing, then that is encryption.

When you hear "garbled transmissions", are you hearing other talkgroups, such as fire or EMS without issues? If they were garbled as well, then that would tip the scales towards simulcast. But if they are clear & understandable, then encryption, not simulcast, is your likely issue.
thanks Steve....yep i hear everything fine ....its just those 2 talk groups...