Whistler 1065 group ids

Status
Not open for further replies.

skomer84

I recently received and programmed a whistler 1065. I used a programming software for it and programmed it using the frequencies and 3 digit talkgroup ids found on radioreference database. It programmed successful and receives great. My question is, how do I go through the scanner settings and view what those 3 digit ids are? Example, if I would come across another 1065 scanner and want to see what the talkgroup ids are that is has programmed, how would I do that using the scanner? Thanks!

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
If you are actively trying to locate the talkgroup IDs, you can MANually go to each object and read the 3rd line. It will say "ID: (Talkgroup ID)" when the talkgroup is not active.

If you are scanning and you want to see the talkgroup ID, you will need to wait for the transmission to come to an end. Afterwards, you should see the "ID: (Talkgroup ID)" on the 3rd line if you have the default delay set.

skomer84

Thanks for the reply. When I just tried manually locating the ID, I see an 8 digit number I have not seen before. During programming, I only entered 3 digit numbers into the programming software. Where did this 8 digit number come from?

Spitfire8520

Thanks for the reply. When I just tried manually locating the ID, I see an 8 digit number I have not seen before. During programming, I only entered 3 digit numbers into the programming software. Where did this 8 digit number come from?

That seems really odd. What software are you using? Can you give an example of what you are seeing and what system you are programming?

skomer84

The software I used is "ScanCat". I went to the database on radioreference, it has it listed as a "Project 25 Phase 1 system" and it gave me a talkgroup in DEC format which was 203. I entered that into the scancat program along with the frequencies and it receives fine. However, when I manually look for the talkgroup ids on the scanner, it shows '16711883' on that 3rd line.

N8IAA

The software I used is "ScanCat". I went to the database on radioreference, it has it listed as a "Project 25 Phase 1 system" and it gave me a talkgroup in DEC format which was 203. I entered that into the scancat program along with the frequencies and it receives fine. However, when I manually look for the talkgroup ids on the scanner, it shows '16711883' on that 3rd line.

Please, Please, don't use ScanCat!! Get Don Starr's Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197, 651, 652), Whistler (WS1040, WS1065), and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400, 310, 410) scanners Win500, PsrEdit500, or anything else. They have 30 day free trials and will work much better with the scanner.
Larry

Spitfire8520

It looks like ScanCat is programming the scanner incorrectly, but it somehow still works because of how it handles the group IDs.

For a technical explanation:
  • 203 in HEX is 'CB'
  • 16711883 in HEX is 'FF00CB'
  • P25 systems only go up to talkgroup ID 'FFFF'
  • Scanner appears to ignore the extra bits, so programming 'F00CB' or 983243 would still somehow work

That said, it should not be like that at all. If you have already purchased ScanCat, then you should absolutely immediately bring this to the attention of the developer of that software. If you can switch software, then it that might be a good idea. It will help in the event you run into a software specific question. I personally use Win500, but PSREdit500 and ARC500 are also very popular. All have a trial period to test out the software.

skomer84

Thanks for all the input. That is interesting, I never thought it would have been due to the software. I did in fact pay for the scancat software. After I had done that, I saw a lot of poor reviews for it. However, with the exception of this subject of the group id error, I really had no problem using the software and found it very easy to use and program. But I think I will contact them and see what they say about the problem.

skomer84

I just heard back from the software developer and they confirmed it is a "bug" that causes the numbers to display incorrectly.

skomer84

The way I understood the email was that they have tried but have been unable to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.