Whistler 1065 programming –*newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WGSU

Premium Subscriber
Newbie question … I’m following the steps detailed here:

http://psredit.com/psredit500/PSREdit500_Programming_example.pdf

Though I haven’t yet downloaded to the scanner (the next step), I’ve saved trunked frequencies I’m interested in, but I’m uncertain about the “conventional” ones. Are they unique, or dupes of the trunked frequencies (in which case I shouldn’t bother with them)? (New to this type of scanner … and kind of miss the days of the old “plug and play” crystal sets! ;-) But hope to grow to love it!)

Thanks, in advance!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forum! Conventional are simply non-trunked frequencies, and are not duplicates. I use PSREdit500 for my RadioShack Pro-651, and have downloaded both types according to my scanning needs. Selecting either "trunked" or "conventional" simply narrows down the eventual choices of what you'll see on RR.com for that download session.

WGSU

Premium Subscriber
Awesome – thanks for the info! I’m just a bit sketchy on the difference between the two (and the manual that came with the scanner doesn’t offer much clarification, unfortunately). Our goal is to simply hear local police/fire calls in our little radio station newsroom. If we chose the trunked options we want, it would likely accomplish our main goal? Thanks, again!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
A search of public safety frequencies in Livingston County shows that they're using a Project 25, Phase 2, digital system. The WS1065 can only decode Phase 1 digital. The short explanation is that, even after successfully programming the desired county frequencies into your scanner, you won't hear anything from any agencies using this system. You would need a Phase 2 capable scanner. Here's a nice scanner primer if you decide to shop around: Scanner Recommendations.

WGSU

Premium Subscriber
$#@! Not what I was hoping to hear, obviously…. So, essentially what you’re saying is I bought a boat anchor … or a really expensive weather radio? Will it at least pick up our campus PD? Any other options?

While I realize the technology is still “shaking out” (and, of course, caveat emptor always applies), I’d also add that it seems bit disingenuous, at best, of the big manufacturers to be taking advantage of unsuspecting consumers. Aargh….

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Yes, scanner (and radio) choices have become much more complex since "digital" modulation schemes have been introduced. P25 Phase I, P25 Phase II, DMR, ProVoice, NXDN are all in use at various locations across the U.S. You have to really research what you want to listen to in the area(s) you want to listen to them to determine the scanner models that will meet your needs. Even then, other factors like P25 simulcast (LSM) can prevent you from hearing audio even with a scanner that can normally decode that digital format. And if the agency uses encryption, you will never be able to hear their traffic. Added up, this can result in a lot of frustration for new and experienced scanner users alike.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Here's the RR.com link to the Livingston County P25 system: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9093. SUNY Geneseo PD is using this system, along with NYSP, Sheriffs and local municipalities. This grouping of county systems into one is in the process of build-out here in Albany County also. Although here, the system is Phase 1, at least for now. Regarding the selection of a useable scanner, the buyer indeed must beware. I sold scanners for over 20 years for RadioShack, and lack of customer knowledge is very common. Your 1065 is still useable beyond a paper weight, but would have limited value in a newsroom in your area. If I were you, I'd be looking at a reasonably price alternative such as the Uniden BCD996p2: Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 Police Scanner | Scanner Master, or the Uniden HomePatrol 2: Police Radio, Uniden HomePatrol-2 Police Scanner, Policescanner Radios | Scanner Master, which could eliminate some of the programming headaches. While there are more expensive Phase 2 scanners available, you probably wouldn't need all the features available on those. You could always ebay your 1065 to recoup some of your investment if you chose to.

Heartofgold68

Premium Subscriber
New To This! Whistler 1065 Need Help Please !!! Programming !

I Know Nothing About Programming A Scanner ! I Know Nothing About A Scanner Period ! My Daughter Recently Become A 911 Dispatcher And Want To Listen To Her ! I Have The Software To Program It But Im Not Getting Nowhere !! Please Help Would Appreciate It !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.