Whistler 1080 portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Hi
I always forget how to program a trunked system. Even after downloading, and loading all the sites, and talk groups. My scanner will not tune into the system!?

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks

tvengr

Well Known Member
What is your city, county, and state, and which agencies do you want to monitor? I assume you are using the WS1080/WS1088 EZ Scan software.

tvengr

Well Known Member
What county are you in and which agencies do you want to monitor? I need that information for troubleshooting. If you attach your configuration file, I will check it for problems.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber

Attachments

• CDAT_2021-08-30_16-18.zip
    310.7 KB · Views: 3

tvengr

Well Known Member

jonsmth

Premium Subscriber
I live in Peru MA and use a Radio Shack PRO-668 converted to a WS-1080. I set-up the EZ Scan software as I want the Scanner to be set up then "copy" the configuration to my scanner. I've never attempted to manually program the scanner at all with the exception of programming it by zip code. The only thing on the COMIRS system in Berkshire County is Mass State Police Troop B. TG 2099 is MSP-B-PTL-1 (B2-Shelburne Falls, B3-Springfield, B6-Northampton). TG 2101 is MSP-B-PTL-2 (B1-Lee, B4-Cheshire, B5-Russell, B8-Westfield).
As mentioned by "tvengr" Berkshire Fire/Police as well as Pittsfield Fire/Police are all on conventional VHF frequencies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The only thing on the COMIRS system in Berkshire County is Mass State Police Troop B. TG 2099 is MSP-B-PTL-1 (B2-Shelburne Falls, B3-Springfield, B6-Northampton). TG 2101 is MSP-B-PTL-2 (B1-Lee, B4-Cheshire, B5-Russell, B8-Westfield).
If you are not receiving State Police Troop B, You are probably suffering from simulcast distortion.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
I don't see any talkgroups for Berkshire County on the CoMIRS system. Berkshire County uses all conventional frequencies. You have no conventional frequencies programmed in your scanner. You need to add the conventional frequencies for Berkshire County. Berkshire County, Massachusetts (MA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference (radioreference.com)
Troop B out of lee Ma uses the CoMIRS system. But no matter what I try, if loading from the software, or doing it manually with the scanner. I can’t seem to hear anything on the system.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Look up all of the articles on simulcast distortion. The sites of the CoMIRS system closest to you appear to be simulcast. Although listed as a single site, there are multiple towers all transmitting on the same frequency at the same time. The signals arrive at your scanner at slightly different times impairing the scanner's ability to properly decode the control channel. Whistler scanners do not have a good track record with simulcast systems. I didn't see any problems with your programming, so I suspect simulcast distortion is the problem. Try turning on the attenuator to reduce the number of towers you receive. Also, lay the scanner on its back and spin it around with the antenna pointing various directions. Try moving the scanner to different locations around the house. Take it mobile and see what happens. If you are close to one tower, it can override the interference from the other towers. The only scanners designed to decode simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile. I started a thread on the Massachusetts forum to verify that the sites are indeed simulcast and that state police troop B is active on CoMIRS.

jonsmth

Premium Subscriber
I know that within the past year, I saw that the FCC had assigned frequencies for CoMIRs to be transmitted on the tall Microwave tower in Peru, MA. If memory serves me correctly those frequencies are the same frequencies being transmitted on the CoMIRS tower in Florida, MA. So it does seem that CoMIRS in Berkshire County IS a simulcast system. Fortunately, for me, I only live about 3/4 of a mile down the mountain from the antenna in Peru, so I have not experienced any issues with simulcast distortion. I clearly receive (5 bars) MSP Troop B using my RS PRO-668/WS-1080 every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.