TRX-1: Whistler is going down hill fast

starmotionracing

Premium Subscriber
First I am no stranger to Whistler Scanners I have 3 Ws1040, 4 WS 1065 and a WS1098. On May 2nd I picked up a scratch and dent TX 1. 4 of my scanners are scratch and dents and never had a problem. So I order the TX 1 on 5/2/24 and got the radio on 5/11/24. On 6/2/24 I went to update the CPU and the radio just locked up. On 6/4 it was sent in to Whistler for repair and then found out it had a bad logic board. They replaced it and I got the radio back yesterday 6/24. Programed the radio and turned it and nothing, it had no receive could not even pick up the weather station 10 miles away with and outside antenna. So it is off to get fixed again. How can you repair something and not even test it? What is bad is I got this radio because I needed a handheld Phase 2 scanner. Maybe the next radio will be a Uniden

Ubbe

Those scratch and dent type of devices, and open box units and refurbs, are customer returns and a quick check might not reveal any issues that the customer where experiencing. You where probably lucky with your other purchases. But getting a scanner back after repair that doesn't work have also happened at several occasions from Uniden.

/Ubbe

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
Stick with it. The scratch and dent TRX1 I have is a fine scanner, comparing well to my BCD436HP.
If you go Uniden, add $160 to the asking price right off the bat to buy "upgrades" the Whistler comes with.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Stick with it. The scratch and dent TRX1 I have is a fine scanner, comparing well to my BCD436HP.
If you go Uniden, add $160 to the asking price right off the bat to buy "upgrades" the Whistler comes with.

While I agree with @KI5EDJ and have had a TRX-1 Scratch and Dent that works fine for over 5 years now, I would mention that the free "upgrades" from Whistler are not the same as the Uniden paid upgrades.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
The TRX-1 cannot decode ProVoice. Subtract $50.
Call me schooled then. I learn new stuff every day.
However, my TRX1 came with a case and a set of batteries was $30. I've seen decent NiMH AA cells run anywhere from $2 to $7 each and a good smart charger between $30 and $80.
Compared to the 436 batteries cost slightly more to get the Whistler going and you need the smart charger but maybe no case. Compared to the SDS 100 the first battery comes with it but extras run $70 and you still need a $30 charger.
Last, someone toss a dent and ding quote on a Uniden if you have it. The TRX1 can be purchased open box or dent and ding for $350 direct from the company.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti Uniden or anti Whistler at all. I have several scanners from both. The TRX, BCX36HP, and SDS scanners are all good units.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
First I am no stranger to Whistler Scanners I have 3 Ws1040, 4 WS 1065 and a WS1098. On May 2nd I picked up a scratch and dent TX 1. 4 of my scanners are scratch and dents and never had a problem. So I order the TX 1 on 5/2/24 and got the radio on 5/11/24. On 6/2/24 I went to update the CPU and the radio just locked up. On 6/4 it was sent in to Whistler for repair and then found out it had a bad logic board. They replaced it and I got the radio back yesterday 6/24. Programed the radio and turned it and nothing, it had no receive could not even pick up the weather station 10 miles away with and outside antenna. So it is off to get fixed again. How can you repair something and not even test it? What is bad is I got this radio because I needed a handheld Phase 2 scanner. Maybe the next radio will be a Uniden

Just because *you* had problems does not mean that "Whistler is going downhill fast". That's a nonsense statement given that most people have no problems with their Whistler scanners and Whistler's scanner line is only part of what they make and sell.

You got a dud and didn't get the service you expected - big deal. S**t happens. Uniden has the same problem - people whinging about dud products which aren't repaired to their satisfaction or just plain ignored.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
They are hit and miss...to a point. Whistler is a small company staffed by down to earth country folks. They believe in their product, even if the product is a bit lacking. In that case they *will* make it right.
I went through several of their radar detectors before we finally discovered a fault in the hardware. They offered me their highest priced unit as compensation for my trouble. Instead I chose one that met my needs, which they sent.
Give those guys a chance to get your scanner going for you or to get you a replacement.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Five years using a $330 TRX-1 Scratch & Dent almost 24/7 and it still works/looks like new. I also purchased a 1040 Scratch & Dent for $135 from them seven years ago and zero problems. Additionally, I had my Pro-668 upgraded and zero issues.

A technician failing to test a device after repair is poor performance indeed. There can be poor performing individuals at any company. Still, I am doubtful Whistler as a company has a policy to not test a radio after repair. @starmotionracing - I encourage you to search RadioRef. I have a feeling you may find posts showing "concern" about Uniden and their repair service as well.

CycleSycho

:) Purchased three radar detectors 'scratch-n-dents' from Whistler a number of years ago, always looking for a bargain. They are still working to this day. Will admit, they go off on the newer vehicle systems but that is OK if it keeps me from getting tickets (as of late, local LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers) have been using unmarked vehicles with everything inside the cab (ie cars, suv's, p/u's). :)

starmotionracing

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE they have had the scanner since 7/2 have had no contact from them yet. seeing I have other scanners I am just going to wait and see what happens