TRX-1: Whistler is slipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescue1

Every scanner that you buy should just be another tool to add to your tool shed. Never expect perfection with Uniden or Whistler. Take the good things from each manufacturer and be happy.

As to the LSM issue its been talked about over and over and over again. The only fix for it is to buy a commercial grade Motorola XTS Astro 5000 model or an APX line of radio if you need Phase II TDMA. This radio can be programmed safe and will perform with a 100 percent perfection but you will have to shell out the money for it.

You get what you pay for.

I agree with you to a point here.. The problem I have is spending $500 plus for a piece of equipment that I have to just deal with. For these price points I expect more than chintzy plastic cases(Uniden) let alone any sort of performance. All we end up paying for is the license agreements the companies have with the various protocols, and the money doesn't go towards quality. A real shame.

SCPD

QRT
right

I agree with you to a point here.. The problem I have is spending $500 plus for a piece of equipment that I have to just deal with. For these price points I expect more than chintzy plastic cases(Uniden) let alone any sort of performance. All we end up paying for is the license agreements the companies have with the various protocols, and the money doesn't go towards quality. A real shame.

The scanners should do at least what they say they decode.
LSM and use in cities should have been tested(like NYC or Newark),so to see if they work in places overpopulated with RF signals.
Better quality RF filters could fix this,and or processing.
I notice if I turn my squelch all the way down,I can decode 80 percent of
Phase 2 transmissions but that leaves me stuck when it goes to an analog channel.

MichaelBhere

If running the latest CPU FW be sure to check your ADC Gain setting in the radio. It should be somewhere between -2 thru +2. if it is not within this range, you will need to edit it and save your changes.

I read that some have reported improved results in LSM areas with the DSP Level Adapt setting around 90. I do not have those issues in my area so I cannot confirm if there is only a small improvement or no improvement, just passing along what i have read.

SCPD

QRT
If i put the squelch all the way down and lay the radio wirthout the antenna all the way in ,it works about 75 percent on the 700 mhz NJ system.DSP setting is 62.I leave the ADC and DAC at 0

scotttish

Work in progress

I'd be happy if they took their customers seriously.Them not answering emails or phone calls is somewhat of a bummer.And as for the email us for features,you should live up to the "we'll see if its do-able" thing,Whistler before blowing it off.The phase 2 is probably unfixable without a narrower 700mhz filter....The DMR I dont know what the deal is with that,no priority on,and its cuting out with the new firmware.I tried everything.

I spent an entire day last week, touring the Whistler Warehouse and talking with one of their guru's. Whistler scanners are really great, but not perfect. They are hiring customer service reps and training all of the time. I live about 40 mins away from their offices and they know me by name. Most of the time that the scanner isn't working right, it is me screwing things up or not doing what I should have done. There is ALWAYS room for improvement and they know it and they are responding by making improvements! Employees Bryan and John ROCK! Until they are able to get fully up to speed, be persistent until you get to where you need to be with your scanner.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Whistler is slipping?

Nice post SCOTTISH. Nice to hear about the people who made my scanner. I have had nothing but good contacts with them when I first bought the WS1080 in Sept of 2014. There are places where this scanner is perfect and I love it. There are other places *like where I live* where it is washed out by terrible LSM problems. You have to have patience and use workarounds, the proper antennas for the frequencies..etc. Nothing is perfect. In fact many have to resort to paper clips, a length of cable TV cord with screw on BNC or THIS kind of thing in my Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxp3-2_y8g Luckily I have beaten LSM with a 700/800mhz Yagi. Well worth the money.
While I'd like to buy a Unication G4/G5 Pager and CAN afford it, it still doesn't have all the things I'm used to in a scanner. Maybe next year it might? I'd rather listen to all bands instead of one at a time. until then I'm seriously looking at the TRX-1 to see if it's any better at home here over my WS1080. And with that? ... I see Whistler has another update today. Off to do that now. Thanks Whistler.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCPD

QRT
700mhz and whistler

Nice post SCOTTISH. Nice to hear about the people who made my scanner. I have had nothing but good contacts with them when I first bought the WS1080 in Sept of 2014. There are places where this scanner is perfect and I love it. There are other places *like where I live* where it is washed out by terrible LSM problems. You have to have patience and use workarounds, the proper antennas for the frequencies..etc. Nothing is perfect. In fact many have to resort to paper clips, a length of cable TV cord with screw on BNC or THIS kind of thing in my Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxp3-2_y8g Luckily I have beaten LSM with a 700/800mhz Yagi. Well worth the money.
While I'd like to buy a Unication G4/G5 Pager and CAN afford it, it still doesn't have all the things I'm used to in a scanner. Maybe next year it might? I'd rather listen to all bands instead of one at a time. until then I'm seriously looking at the TRX-1 to see if it's any better at home here over my WS1080. And with that? ... I see Whistler has another update today. Off to do that now. Thanks Whistler.

My TRX1 is about the same as the 1080 was except you gain DMR and hopefully one day NXDN.

I like how you have the Phase 2 coming in! What antenna are you using,I'd PM you,but it doesnt allow me to.?

Dont get me wrong,when you do get someone at Whistler on the phone they are very helpful!Got me the downgrading tool pretty quick

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Whistler

@K2tool - That's not even an antenna. It's a BNC to RCA adapter/connector. I had a bunch of BNC connectors laying around from my high end Stereo days for an Audio Alchemy digital transmitter to feed the signal from a CD transport to a Wadia Digital to Audio Converter. It's like a Swiss knife of digital transmitters for audio. Anywho... I had 3 of those bnc to rca connectors with it but you can get those at Radio Shack too. My guess is it's just close to the right SIZE of the 800mhz antennas the Police use on the back of their cars. Like 3.3 inches for 800mhz/900? I usually use that RS800mhz on a window clip/bnc on the outside of the car. I put that connector on just for fun and drove around and got Phase 2 in really well. It's not perfect of course. I only used it when I just want to hear the P25 Starcom21 system near me as Simulcast interference is so strong I needed something to come "under" the interference. You may or may not get other bands in a bit.I DO have the DMR update on my WS1080 and listen to Ohare Airport's DMR's for United Airlines *my other 2 youtube videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.