TRX-1: Whistler is slipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
First of all I bought the TRX-1 in good faith and hoped to get something better than my GRE PSR-800 scanner.
DMR is hit or miss,and the Phase 2 is worthless in North New Jersey,it doesnt work due to LSM or whatever reason.
In the beginning they were very attendent to user's needs,answering the phone,emails and fixing bug and feature requests.
After the website redo,I find that they're slipping a bit,not calling back,no email answers to simple questions.
Is this how Whistler wants to treat their customers now?I sure hope not!
Another thing is I thought I had a few good do-able feature requests and I got nothing back.
This is not sitting well with me,is Whistler want to be like all the other
companies out there?
I think the new website isnt allowing emails to go through,theres my 2 cents..........

Thought they wanted to be the cool,different company! :/

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sorry the TRX-1 does not work for you my works as expected. Unication G5's work but you will get the 700/800 or VHF or UHF from my readings so as I see it that is $1000.00 per band to get what you want.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Sorry the TRX-1 does not work for you my works as expected. Unication G5's work but you will get the 700/800 or VHF or UHF from my readings so as I see it that is $1000.00 per band to get what you want.

The G5 is VHF/7-800 or UHF/7-800, so you get 2 bands. The price is less than $1k. There is a whole Unication forum at RR now for further Unication discussion.

allend

Premium Subscriber
First of all I bought the TRX-1 in good faith and hoped to get something better than my GRE PSR-800 scanner.
DMR is hit or miss,and the Phase 2 is worthless in North New Jersey,it doesnt work due to LSM or whatever reason.
In the beginning they were very attendent to user's needs,answering the phone,emails and fixing bug and feature requests.
After the website redo,I find that they're slipping a bit,not calling back,no email answers to simple questions.
Is this how Whistler wants to treat their customers now?I sure hope not!
Another thing is I thought I had a few good do-able feature requests and I got nothing back.
This is not sitting well with me,is Whistler want to be like all the other
companies out there?
I think the new website isnt allowing emails to go through,theres my 2 cents..........

Thought they wanted to be the cool,different company! :/

Every scanner that you buy should just be another tool to add to your tool shed. Never expect perfection with Uniden or Whistler. Take the good things from each manufacturer and be happy.

As to the LSM issue its been talked about over and over and over again. The only fix for it is to buy a commercial grade Motorola XTS Astro 5000 model or an APX line of radio if you need Phase II TDMA. This radio can be programmed safe and will perform with a 100 percent perfection but you will have to shell out the money for it.

You get what you pay for.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
As to the LSM issue its been talked about over and over and over again. The only fix for it is to buy a commercial grade Motorola XTS Astro 5000 model or an APX line of radio if you need Phase II TDMA. This radio can be programmed safe and will perform with a 100 percent perfection but you will have to shell out the money for it.

No longer the "only fix." As the previous replies noted, a Unication pager can be obtained for less and is infinitely safer to program with the same demodulating capabilities as commercial gear. Scanner Master even has them available in stock. No Phase II support yet, but it is apparently down the road.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Sorry about your experience with the TRX-1. I know how you feel though, I have the same feelings about the 436/536. I've had no issues with DMR or Phase 2. I like the TRX-1 so much, I bought a TRX-2.

I can say that my TRX-1 does not suffer from some of the same problems as my PSR-800.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I looked at buying 30+ G5's and was told they will only 1 band at a time not both. So it would do either 800 or VHF but not both at the same time.

Wrong.

It's either VHF/700/800 or UHF/700/800.

I suggest you visit the Unication forum rather than dragging this thread off-topic even more.

SCPD

QRT
I'd be happy if they took their customers seriously.Them not answering emails or phone calls is somewhat of a bummer.And as for the email us for features,you should live up to the "we'll see if its do-able" thing,Whistler before blowing it off.The phase 2 is probably unfixable without a narrower 700mhz filter....The DMR I dont know what the deal is with that,no priority on,and its cuting out with the new firmware.I tried everything.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Mike why was I told different buy 2 dealers about this my department wanted 30 and this is what we were told sorry if I am wrong but my info came from 2 dealers in 2 states. If this is true then our department would be looking to buy.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I'd be happy if they took their customers seriously.Them not answering emails or phone calls is somewhat of a bummer.And as for the email us for features,you should live up to the "we'll see if its do-able" thing,Whistler before blowing it off.The phase 2 is probably unfixable without a narrower 700mhz filter....The DMR I dont know what the deal is with that,no priority on,and its cuting out with the new firmware.I tried everything.

They are probably just running a skeleton crew to keep costs down and really don't have time to answers emails or questions. SAD but that's the brutal reality of companies these days.

There is no A+ customer service anymore. I think Whistler had their day in the sun when they released scanners with the Whistler name on it. If they were a very serious scanner maker they would of blown the doors wide open and wowed the scanner community. I am not saying it was bad coming out the gate but it was nothing to call home to MOM about.

I think these scanner companies think we the us community that we want a scanner made cheaply and buy it for cheap. It's completely wrong. We was a bullet proof high end scanner made with all of the bells and whistles and we will pay the costs. But it need to perform as expected.

Lets just hope for 2017 for something great to come out. I don't see any news equipment coming out by Christmas this year.

KA1RBI

As to the LSM issue its been talked about over and over and over again. The only fix for it is to buy a commercial grade Motorola XTS Astro 5000 model or an APX line of radio if you need Phase II TDMA <snip>

A commercial grade receiver such as those mentioned will solve the LSM problem nicely.

However it's _not_ correct to say that's the "only fix".

You get what you pay for.

haha

Max

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I looked at buying 30+ G5's and was told they will only 1 band at a time not both. So it would do either 800 or VHF but not both at the same time.

The G5 will pass audio from only one source at a time. So if you have a UHF/700/800 version you can set it to monitor UHF channels or 700/800 channels. I have a G4 so cant tell you if it will scan across the bands.
I know my G4 will only scan one system at a time if its monitoring a trunking system, or scan across several conventional P25 digitial channels at a time. It will not do both conventional and trunking at the same time.

I would suggest hopping on over to the Unication forum and asking your questions over there.
Unication Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

NC1

Who here would like to just go back to 100% analog radios and cut out all the nonsense?

It seems to me that all the new stuff out there is causing more problems than it is worth, and I am talking for both the users and scanner listeners. There is a lot of unnecessary spending and headache. Your taxes pay for the new town/county and state equipment, then you have to spend more $$ to decode the new signals that your taxes paid for. I see that as a massive waste of both money and time.

As for me, I am not buying any scanner until all this new technology levels off for a while...... AND the companies producing scanning equipment can get a proper handle on hardware, software, and upgrades. It seems there are changes made almost every 6 months in terms of technology and software. Nobody can keep up with all this and are too busy chasing what they have along with the new stuff coming out to get a real working knowledge and understanding of it all.

I know there are some exceptions, but for the most part I think people are giving up on the scanning hobby because all the fun is being sucked out of it through both the constant costs & upgrades, and a general feeling of frustration with the process of programming and poor customer support.

Thankfully, I don't really need anything other than a cheapo analog scanner here. An old Bearcat III with the proper crystals would be sufficient. :)

SCPD

QRT
Best scanner in the world

They are probably just running a skeleton crew to keep costs down and really don't have time to answers emails or questions. SAD but that's the brutal reality of companies these days.

There is no A+ customer service anymore. I think Whistler had their day in the sun when they released scanners with the Whistler name on it. If they were a very serious scanner maker they would of blown the doors wide open and wowed the scanner community. I am not saying it was bad coming out the gate but it was nothing to call home to MOM about.

I think these scanner companies think we the us community that we want a scanner made cheaply and buy it for cheap. It's completely wrong. We was a bullet proof high end scanner made with all of the bells and whistles and we will pay the costs. But it need to perform as expected.

Lets just hope for 2017 for something great to come out. I don't see any news equipment coming out by Christmas this year.

Answer to analog,Yes we should all go back to analog,and stop trying to reinvent the wheel! Same goes for ham radio,if it sounds so good,why are you talking to me on Analog? Silly Motorola,digitals for kids.

a UNIFICATION pager is $900 bucks,hows that cheaper ?

I have the 3.9 software getter backer if anyone needs it TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free

Last edited:

NC1

a bullet proof high end scanner made with all of the bells and whistles and we will pay the costs.

I don't know who the "WE" is that's willing to pay a premium, but it's not me.

Just make something that works like it should, with good customer service, and as easy to understand as possible, that's all.

I don't need bells, whistles, or a flashlight.

And price point is a major consideration for most people. We are not all from the Rockefeller family, and don't live in Mom's basement. We have real jobs and real lives with real bills to pay.

I still think somebody like Baofeng will beat all the scanner manufacturers soon and put out a cheap scanner that does just what it should. Nobody expects firmware upgrades or stellar customer service when paying 1/6th the price of a name brand. If I pay $130 instead of $800, I don't care if they support it or not because I know it will be outdated because of new technology coming out within another year or 18 months that the scanner won't be able to receive. This last reason is why the scanning hobby is in a death spiral.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone -
First off I'd like to apologize to anyone who may have had a bad experience with customer service. At Whistler we strive to have top notch customer service and anything less is not acceptable.

I am personally going to look into the issue with the website emails to see if we indeed do have an
issue.

As for the bugreports and scannersuggestion emails, we do receive these emails and your suggestions and bug reports are logged and if a feasible suggestion (labor, etc.) we will implement the suggestion whenever possible. By submitted a suggestion, it is by no means a guarantee that it will be implemented but we will do our best to see if we can whenever possible.

Thank you to everyone for being patient while we moved to the new website. If you are still receiving what you feel is inadequate customer service, please send me a PM and let me know what is troubling you and I will do my best to see if we can come to a resolution.

Thanks everyone!
Happy Scanning!

Whistler Wendy

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
website

Nobody ever emailed me back,the new website doesnt work.
I called and got someone Monday.
But what annoys someone is when they say they're going to call back and dont (what happened friday).And left my number via email.
Better check to see if the email works on the website,its not a direct email,like it used to be.
Its a form.
When you do get someone they try and help.
Tell them to hire more people in customer service,nobody wants to hear the annoying crappy loop music that they think makes people calm,Junk it.
One of the worst things a company can get is AUDIX this system prevents calls from getting through.I used to work at a big company and you could sit there for hours and not get through.You want me to talk to the corporate office,I will,with pleasure,Wendy.
Thank you Wendy for all your help.

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Nobody ever emailed me back,the new website doesnt work.

Tell them to hire more people in customer service,nobody wants to hear the annoying crappy loop music that they think makes people calm,Junk it.

And then your next TRX purchase will be $850 to hire more people.

Always amazes me how people seem to "know" how to run a business, but have no idea the costs involved, they just WANT IT NOW!!!

SCPD

QRT
After they get rid of the AUDIX system,they will have the cash.
Listen,for $600,I want customer service!Its not a $40 scanner.
When you say you are going to do something,you do it (priceless).
Marconator,you want them to not answer the phones? Leave it alone.
Answer the phones,answer emails,it makes a better company(not rocket science)

Status
Not open for further replies.