WHISTLER Legacy UPGRADES

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Both of my scanners have the upgrade, and it was a good deal at the regular price. It is a real plus for the RS Pro-18 because it gave it the same features as the GRE models.

lands818

Premium Subscriber
Use due caution, I had multiple issues with Whistler during my scanners return for upgrade. Even more funny is the Whistler promo showed up in my Facebook feed (trust me, I don’t like or follow them) this evening and I commented per the attached...which Whistler promptly flagged as a spam posting. Caveat emptor friends!

Attachments

• A74BCE0D-825E-4A7A-89DD-3AAC09F1F8F0.png
    A74BCE0D-825E-4A7A-89DD-3AAC09F1F8F0.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 88

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Use due caution, I had multiple issues with Whistler during my scanners return for upgrade. Even more funny is the Whistler promo showed up in my Facebook feed (trust me, I don’t like or follow them) this evening and I commented per the attached...which Whistler promptly flagged as a spam posting. Caveat emptor friends!

Please rest assured that this is not something we did intentional. It is something that Facebook does automatically. We don't even see your post if it does this.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Also make sure you read the fine print so to speak. If a unit has been modified its an additional fee.
I was about to bite but i was an early adapter of updating my 668 unofficially. So even though it collects dust and has been for a year (plus i actually purchased a 1080 from a scratch and dent sale ) I guess i wont be sending mine in. 49 is in my price range but 89 not so much.
Perhaps one day they will allow all units to come in for re-flashing at flat rate regardless of its firmware.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Also make sure you read the fine print so to speak. If a unit has been modified its an additional fee.
I was about to bite but i was an early adapter of updating my 668 unofficially. So even though it collects dust and has been for a year (plus i actually purchased a 1080 from a scratch and dent sale ) I guess i wont be sending mine in. 49 is in my price range but 89 not so much.
Perhaps one day they will allow all units to come in for re-flashing.

If you did not install the time bomb dsp firmware they will do it for the lower price, the higher price is for those that messed up the logic board with the time bomb dsp firmware ver3.1 dated any time AFTER June 2017, easiest way to tell is if it boots with whistler on the lcd and picks up DMR then they will fix it for less....if no DMR reception then YOU messed up the logic board and it is has to be replaced.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
If you did not install the time bomb dsp firmware they will do it for the lower price, the higher price is for those that messed up the logic board with the time bomb dsp firmware ver3.1 dated any time AFTER June 2017, easiest way to tell is if it boots with whistler on the lcd and picks up DMR then they will fix it for less....if no DMR reception then YOU messed up the logic board and it is has to be replaced.
All of the update variants are $10 off so the Unofficial update is $79.99 for the month of December.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Ah learned something new. It still works with DMR. while its been sitting on a shelf collecting dust since i got my 1080 from Whistler it does work with DMR. used it once in the last year to compare them on a connect plus trbo system. they both operated equally.
So while it does have the modified firwmare its not the one that killed something.
So im back to the 49 upgrade.

CycleSycho

:) I can confirm Facebook sneaks those ad's no matter what you want (until you tell them not to). Be advised, FB is an AD revenue generating website that culls keywords and inserts whatever gets them clicks. Their revenue is generated by AD's, Whistler didn't ask them (keywords) and they don't have a contract with M Z (FB). Remember, if it has a .com, it is a commercial site and since they don't sell anything (FB), your being 'mined' for data/information. That is why random stuff pops in, someone (either you or a 'friend') said or posted something about Whistler (Then BAM) data culled, ad's pop in/up/are there all over the place. Your preferences MIGHT stop or slow them but the next 'privacy update' (or something more hidden) will allow them again. Good luck with FB, it is a giant mining company (and they sell it to anyone (by law I pray) with the $ to purchase it! :)

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Ah learned something new. It still works with DMR. while its been sitting on a shelf collecting dust since i got my 1080 from Whistler it does work with DMR. used it once in the last year to compare them on a connect plus trbo system. they both operated equally.
So while it does have the modified firwmare its not the one that killed something.
So im back to the 49 upgrade.

I don't know what they consider "unauthorized' (is it any FW other than original or just the bricking one???), but if you do send yours in I would revert it back to a GRE beforehand to keep from possibly being charged more since it does have Whistler FW in it now.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what they consider "unauthorized' (is it any FW other than original or just the bricking one???), but if you do send yours in I would revert it back to a GRE beforehand to keep from possibly being charged more since it does have Whistler FW in it now.
They have previously upgraded scanners on "Unauthorized" firmware for the lower price as long as the logic board is not bricked from the time bomb version. So no need to roll it back and if it was on the time bomb version you can't roll it back.

KevinC

Super Moderator
They have previously upgraded scanners on "Unauthorized" firmware for the lower price as long as the logic board is not bricked from the time bomb version.

Thanks for the info. Maybe Wendy will chime in to confirm that is still true.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Both of my scanners have the upgrade, and it was a good deal at the regular price. It is a real plus for the RS Pro-18 because it gave it the same features as the GRE models.
It's pretty amazing, a scanner from 2011 back when we couldn't really scan DMR all that well and people were resorting to modifying chinese radios and DSD to do it. Now has the DMR and recording like a regular database scanner.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Maybe Wendy will chime in to confirm that is still true.

Here is a break down of the legacy upgrade fees for more clarity:

$49.99 (reg. $59.99) - Any PSR-800, Pro-18 or Pro-668 in good condition and not bricked
$79.99 (reg. $89.99) - Any PSR-800, Pro-18 or Pro-668 which has been bricked because of the unauthorized firmware
$110 (reg. $120) - Any PSR-800, Pro-18 or Pro-668 that is damaged and requires repair (USB port is damaged, screen is damaged, BNC connector is damaged, etc.)

Hope that helps!

KevinC

Super Moderator
Here is a break down of the legacy upgrade fees for more clarity:

$49.99 (reg. $59.99) - Any PSR-800, Pro-18 or Pro-668 in good condition and not bricked
$79.99 (reg. $89.99) - Any PSR-800, Pro-18 or Pro-668 which has been bricked because of the unauthorized firmware
$110 (reg. $120) - Any PSR-800, Pro-18 or Pro-668 that is damaged and requires repair (USB port is damaged, screen is damaged, BNC connector is damaged, etc.)

Hope that helps!

Thanks Ms. Wendy!

KevinC

Super Moderator
I took advantage of this. Ten days from ship to return, not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.