Whistler Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Does anybody know if whistler is going to have parts for my GRE PSR 800? It's totally fried and needs new parts?

(and I apologize that I have said that the radio was fried in other threads and not to sound like a broken record or to hijack any other threads, just so mad that I had such radio and it didn't even last 2 years!)

SCPD

QRT
To echo what has most likely been said on your other threads on this same topic, Uniden will repair GRE scanners. If you need more info, check out this thread from our resident Uniden representative. http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/289112-whistler-gre-support-2.html#post2177989 Appears to be a flat repair rate of about $50 with an additional $10 for shipping/handling.

But does Uniden have all the part necessary to fix my scanner? I don't want to send it to them and have to pay for something that can't be fixed

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
But does Uniden have all the part necessary to fix my scanner? I don't want to send it to them and have to pay for something that can't be fixed

Looks like the first post in the link provided by n5ims answers your question.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
, just so mad that I had such radio and it didn't even last 2 years!)

According to one of your first posts on the matter, it wasn't exactly the radio's fault:

http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/289505-very-disappointed-my-800-a.html#post2176254

Uniden will look at the scanner first and advise if the radio can be fixed or not. You might be out the cost of shipping, but I would think it would be worth it to find out for sure.

n5ims

You could guess. We could guess. The man in the moon could guess and they'd all not provide any real answers. Try calling their number and ask them. You'll have to provide some specific information but at least they can give you an educated guess based on what parts they do and do not have instead of uneducated guesses based on no real information at all.

Product Repair
call our repair department @ 1-800-235-3874

SCPD

QRT
You could guess. We could guess. The man in the moon could guess and they'd all not provide any real answers. Try calling their number and ask them. You'll have to provide some specific information but at least they can give you an educated guess based on what parts they do and do not have instead of uneducated guesses based on no real information at all.

Product Repair

Thanks guys!

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Why not give G & G a call. They worked on my 800 and the price was reasonable and I believe they do have some replacement parts.
G & G Communications
7825 Black Street Rd
Leroy, NY. 14482-9725
Phone 585-768-8151 & talk to Gerry

SCPD

QRT
Why not give G & G a call. They worked on my 800 and the price was reasonable and I believe they do have some replacement parts.

G & G Communications

7825 Black Street Rd

Leroy, NY. 14482-9725

Phone 585-768-8151 & talk to Gerry

I had actually emailed them and they said they didn't have any of the parts I needed, I will still Uniden a call on Monday

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Our outside call center had not gotten the information that we could work on other brands. Ability to repair is subject to the specific parts needed, but 90% of the parts used are going to be common parts. Exceptions would be case/mechanical parts, LCD, and perhaps masked ROM parts. $49.50 + $10 shipping w/90-day warranty.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Our outside call center had not gotten the information that we could work on other brands. Ability to repair is subject to the specific parts needed, but 90% of the parts used are going to be common parts. Exceptions would be case/mechanical parts, LCD, and perhaps masked ROM parts. $49.50 + $10 shipping w/90-day warranty.
I like what I'm reading here.

SCPD

QRT
I'm just afraid that Uniden won't have the parts I need (keypad, Circuit board, speaker) because if that's the case I'm probably screwed because I don't know where I'm going to find $600 bucks for a new Uniden. there expensive!

You would expect a big company like Uniden to offer financing?

Or maybe I'm just dreaming, LOL

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Keypad: No.
Circuit board: No.
Speaker: Probably

Is the entire circuit board destroyed? Or are there some components that need to be replaced? If just components, good chance we have those.

For the keypad, is it the cosmetic part that is broken? Or, is the keypad not working (it could be a component failure that we might be able to fix by correcting the underlying issue).

n5ims

I'm just afraid that Uniden won't have the parts I need (keypad, Circuit board, speaker) because if that's the case I'm probably screwed because I don't know where I'm going to find $600 bucks for a new Uniden. there expensive!

You would expect a big company like Uniden to offer financing?

Or maybe I'm just dreaming, LOL

Keypad - The keypad is generally three major parts. 1) the lands on the circuit board that does the electrical connections for the switch (easily repaired and rarely damaged). 2) The metal part molded to the switch housing (a commodity part that's easily repaired). 3) The molded plastic you press (often a custom design, but if you don't abuse it lasts the life of the product).

Circuit board - Custom part so it's generally not easily available. It's generally very difficult to damage (it's buried deep inside the radio so to damage it you either must do serious harm to the radio or have significant burn damage). Unless it's really seriously damaged, it's fairly easy to make minor repairs using jumper wires, non-conducting epoxy, or a circuit trace pen.

Speaker - Commodity part. Most likely a repair shop will have one on hand or can order one from their supplier. Even if it's not an exact match, one nearly the same size, shape, and electrical values can easily be installed so you can't tell that it isn't stock.

Components - Most individual components are standard and are on hand or quickly available from a supplier.

Case parts - Custom parts so generally not easily available. Depending on the damage, they may be able to repair using plastic repair solutions (heat, glue, or other products to repair the damage) but may still be visible depending upon the damage done. Solution, don't smash with a hammer.

Custom parts - Custom parts so generally not easily available. Custom ICs may be used, but due to cost, this wouldn't be the company's first choice. Perhaps a daughter board can be built using standard parts to replace them, but generally this would be expensive to do.

Custom part - CPU. A custom CPU is generally not available. A CPU where a combination of CPU, ROM, Flash ROM, and RAM may be used. Often even then, the ROM (the custom part of the chip) can be bypassed if the device allows firmware updates. You can generally get a similar chip without the ROM (or replaced with Flash ROM) and simply flash the firmware when a replacement is needed. The ROM often is only the initial firmware and shipped with upgraded firmware anyway so the ROM is only there to provide a "known good" firmware, used only to allow a new flash upgrade when one failed.

Note, these are general parts replacement/repair solutions and may not always apply. A good repair shop should know them and when to (and more importantly when not to) apply them.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Keypad: No.
Circuit board: No.
Speaker: Probably

Is the entire circuit board destroyed? Or are there some components that need to be replaced? If just components, good chance we have those.

For the keypad, is it the cosmetic part that is broken? Or, is the keypad not working (it could be a component failure that we might be able to fix by correcting the underlying issue).

For the keypad it just seems to be certain parts and I don't know why they are sticking

The CPU needs to be replaced and some other components on the circuit board

n5ims

For the keypad it just seems to be certain parts and I don't know why they are sticking

Could be it just needs a disassemble, thorough cleaning, and reassemble.

The CPU needs to be replaced and some other components on the circuit board

What makes you certain it's a bad CPU? It could be many things external to the CPU causing an apparent CPU failure. A bad timing crystal, a bad pull up resister, a bad isolation diode, etc. All easy fixes to a trained repair person.

SCPD

QRT
Could be it just needs a disassemble, thorough cleaning, and reassemble.

What makes you certain it's a bad CPU? It could be many things external to the CPU causing an apparent CPU failure. A bad timing crystal, a bad pull up resister, a bad isolation diode, etc. All easy fixes to a trained repair person.

Apparently there was moisture in it according to one of the repair guys i sent it to. And that he didn't have the parts

Status
Not open for further replies.