Whistler pretty much junk with service!!!...until they aren't.

I_Am_Infinite

I sent my scanner to whistler repair on January 4 2022 with a money order of 138.99$ for repair (129$) and 9.99$ extra for a SD Card because that's what they said it would cost for SD card... They received it Friday the 7th, put it in there system on Wednesday the 12th, was notified by email... Wednesday the 26th it was finished, they sent it back Thursday the 27th... Actually pretty good time, I thought nice this is good considering it said 4-6 weeks on there website.

Well I got it back today, there's NO SD Card in it, not in the box, not in the scanner, no where!!! So know I'm wondering if they even updated the thing. Like what kinda deal is that!! Also I have smudge, fingerprint, and a square mark on the Display!!! Like what the heck!! Not on the outside where I can wipe it, that b fine, but under the outside on the inside screen where they took it apart to fix it and I guess didn't figure to clean it up after putting it back together, so nonetheless I'm pissed!!

No SD Card that I paid for and smudges, fingerprint and a square mark, like just wow!! So now will it even work or did they even update it, I don't know because don't firmware for CPU and DSP go onto card.. This is just terrible!!

I_Am_Infinite

I tried, I called left voicemail, and emailed, but nothing because its Saturday and there not open.. So maybe Monday I will get a response.

Its just terrible I shouldn't have to deal with them not giving me the SD Card that I paid for, nor have to deal with screen marks that they made while working on it.. They should of had it right before sending it back..

So what this = out to is, I gotta wait til Monday, then talk to them which then they will probably send me an SD Card, wait till it gets here... Then send my scanner back waste 15$ of my money to ship it again, not to mention the gas to drive 40 miles round trip to send it, then wait another 3 weeks to get it back? Like I said this is crap I shouldn't have to deal with AT ALL!

To me if that's not crappy service then I don't know what is.

CycleSycho

:( Sent my 668 in to get it upgraded a couple years back, it came back with the screen scratched (I sent it pristine). They offered a $10.00 discount towards anything on the site, I should have told them to replace the screen (case) but I wanted the updated radio, I regret taking their offer... Good luck with your issue! :(

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for now. You did say they returned the scanner to you faster than you had expected.

Maybe the tech working on the radio had a bad day and made a mistake and forgot to include the SD Card. It happens. There are times where I ship out items and I forget to put something in the shipment. It doesn't happen every time, but every so often, something is overlooked.

Now, having a thumb print inside the screen and also a mark, yeah, I'd be annoyed too. But give them time to respond. If they are closed on a Saturday then you are correct, you probably won't hear from them until Monday. I'm sure they will take the scanner back to fix that issue. I'd push them to pay for the return shipping because of their mistake.

Remember, you gather more flies with honey than you do vinegar. I get you are upset and I would be too. Let's see what Whistler comes back with. Give them some time to respond to you. If they don't make it right, then you have every right to get mad and I'd be just as upset if this happened to me.

PS - I'm a bit jealous. It takes 20 miles to get to the post office? Where I am on LI, we are tripping over each other and properties are postage sized. It must be nice to have a bit of space to spread out and not live on top of your neighbors ;)

I_Am_Infinite

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for now. You did say they returned the scanner to you faster than you had expected.

Maybe the tech working on the radio had a bad day and made a mistake and forgot to include the SD Card. It happens. There are times where I ship out items and I forget to put something in the shipment. It doesn't happen every time, but every so often, something is overlooked.

Now, having a thumb print inside the screen and also a mark, yeah, I'd be annoyed too. But give them time to respond. If they are closed on a Saturday then you are correct, you probably won't hear from them until Monday. I'm sure they will take the scanner back to fix that issue. I'd push them to pay for the return shipping because of their mistake.

Remember, you gather more flies with honey than you do vinegar. I get you are upset and I would be too. Let's see what Whistler comes back with. Give them some time to respond to you. If they don't make it right, then you have every right to get mad and I'd be just as upset if this happened to me.

PS - I'm a bit jealous. It takes 20 miles to get to the post office? Where I am on LI, we are tripping over each other and properties are postage sized. It must be nice to have a bit of space to spread out and not live on top of your neighbors ;)
I agree mistakes can definitely be made and I'm by far not perfect at all, so I can understand. The fingerprint and square mark definitely is annoying to see it, but both issues really annoy me.

On a side note I did go and buy another SD Card so I could at least try it and see if it was fixed and if it was updated. It is indeed fixed and the CPU was updated 4.8 I believe it was, the DSP was at 3.1 it had an update for that to, to go to 3.2 which I did. It seemed to work on one of the 2 systems I was gonna monitor with it, both simulcast so I wasn't expecting much.

I did notice another issue that I didn't before. I can have the scanner not connected to any antenna at all and get 3-4-5 bar signals back and forth on every band there is, which makes me wonder if they overlooked something. This unit the reason I had it repaired was it was hit by lightning and fried the power plug in so it only worked with batteries. Makes me wonder if the reason it has signal on All bands 25mhz to 900s mhz with no antenna is because they didn't notice something, like a ground or something, tbh I have no idea.

I have other scanners (whistler 1095, uniden sds 200, radioshack pro 197, gre psr 310) and none them have any signal on any band like it does, so it definitely makes me think there's something else wrong... I'm worried it will mess with the signals I want to pick up because of how strong the signal strength is. I even turned squelch all way up, and oddly turned on ATT which didn't do anything but make it a little stronger, not much but changed it not for better. I figured ATT it would go away but it was there on All bands regardless.

So nonetheless that's where I am at now.

Last edited:

Cognomen

Also I have smudge, fingerprint, and a square mark on the Display!!! Like what the heck!! Not on the outside where I can wipe it, that b fine, but under the outside on the inside screen where they took it apart to fix it and I guess didn't figure to clean it up after putting it back together, so nonetheless I'm pissed!!
Argh, I feel for you. I'm VERY careful to not leave any dust speck or anything visible inside the display window. I wouldn't want to see that in my own radios, plus it's a pride thing.

Ubbe

I can have the scanner not connected to any antenna at all and get 3-4-5 bar signals back and forth on every band there is
The level where each bar should light up are settable by the user and could be corrupt. Go into EZ-Scan and the Advance Features/Display Option. Look at the bar values and see if they change after doing "Load Default Values". I have tweaked my values in TRX-2 to be more useful and perhaps it's the same one for TRX-1, although it depends of component tolerance spread and such things.
Bar #1 300
Bar #2 330
Bar #3 335
Bar #4 338
Bar #5 340

/Ubbe

I_Am_Infinite

Is this also for the gre per 800 upgraded to whistler 1080? I'm looking RN as I type.

On a side note and update... I got to talk to whistler this morning on phone, told them about the no SD card, the marks under the case on the screen and the signal bars of 2-3-4 and have seen 5... There gonna send an SD card in mail along with a return label to ship it to them.

Said expedited on getting it fixed and back so we will see.

Edit: the signal thing was at 190 on 1bar and I seen it wasn't close to ur so I put default and there now at.. Have yet to program to scanner and see differences.

Bar #1 370
Bar #2 450
Bar #3 520
Bar #4 610
Bar #5 680

I_Am_Infinite

Ubbe

I did the update to scanner and that fixed the signal bars, know there's no bars when there shouldn't be.. Thank you so much Ubbe your a genius!!! 💙🙏

No my only issues r the smudges, fingerprint and square mark. I wish I could fix this myself so I didn't have to even send it to them. The SD card is on the way with a label for return if needed.

Thanks again!!

frazpo

:( Sent my 668 in to get it upgraded a couple years back, it came back with the screen scratched (I sent it pristine). They offered a $10.00 discount towards anything on the site, I should have told them to replace the screen (case) but I wanted the updated radio, I regret taking their offer... Good luck with your issue! :(

$10 Discount! LOL. That's practically rubbing it in. Thats very poor customer service.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Signal bars are relative unless calibrated with a lab quality instrument. A line that changes length is almost as useful even without number values. Changes to the firmware or electronics probably reset the radio, so I would not expect the settings to be the same as before.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I had mu GRE PSR-800 upgraded. Whistler service department did an excellent job. That’s EXCELLENT JOB.

I just wish they would make new scanners.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Both my GRE and Radio Shack radios had the upgrade and came back in good condition. The Radio Shack version showed the most improvement, and both work well in my simulcast environment.

Right now anything sent in for repairs or adjustment seems to be a problem. Uniden has had their share of unhappy customers too.

I_Am_Infinite

I had mu GRE PSR-800 upgraded. Whistler service department did an excellent job. That’s EXCELLENT JOB.

I just wish they would make new scanners.
Ya they are for the most part imo to, got it back pretty quick, and since I figured out the signal bars being there when there no antenna, that's a non issue, but to have a part if a finger print, some smudges on that same side and the square mark whatever that is, sucks for sure and to me could of been done or handled better then it was. To forget the SD Card to stunk also but it is what is is, no one is perfect.

So nonetheless they are Great to for the most part but could have definitely done better.

a417

Ya they are for the most part imo to, got it back pretty quick, and since I figured out the signal bars being there when there no antenna, that's a non issue, but to have a part if a finger print, some smudges on that same side and the square mark whatever that is, sucks for sure and to me could of been done or handled better then it was. To forget the SD Card to stunk also but it is what is is, no one is perfect.

So nonetheless they are Great to for the most part but could have definitely done better.
Great enough for you to change the subject of this thread?:unsure:

I_Am_Infinite

Great enough for you to change the subject of this thread?:unsure:
I wish I would of worded the Post Title differently, but I was real angry in that moment and put what I felt. If you look I said it was all good with the turnaround, the only issue that made me most angry is not having the SD Card to use my scanner and having to go buy one (which I eventually did) to use it.

The partial fingerprint, smudge, and square I was mad about to, I can't say I wasn't but not as mad as not being able to use the scanner, was very annoying. The Signal Bar thing has been figured out so its a non issue.

If I can relabel the Title if that is what ur talking about tell me how and ill relabel it.

a417

If I can relabel the Title if that is what ur talking about tell me how and ill relabel it.
Click "Report" at the bottom of the post, and request the mods change your subject line. Happens all the time to keep threads & subjects easily identifiable.