Whistler scanner external speaker audio jack mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwolf1313

Does anyone know of a mod to allow full audio output to the external speaker/earphone jack like some of the Unidens have? The audio level is pretty low when using an external speaker.

theTastyCat

I'm having the same trouble - I have excellent hearing and a relatively quiet vehicle, and the radio is just plain not loud enough.

So I bought a Uniden BC23A. And it's made maybe a 10% improvement, if that. Now it gets louder, but when it reaches about the level that the radio by itself was maxxing out on, it starts to distort. It will get louder after that, but it's a useless, distorted louder. I've turned the level on the speaker down a bit and that might have given me a slightly larger useful window, but all in all it's really disappointing. Makes a lot of traffic hard if not impossible to understand. The only traffic that's loud/easy to copy is P25 phase 2 - it's VERY loud.

I've got a Kenwood V71a dual band ham rig in the truck as well with a small CB-type speaker, and the difference is incredible. It's extremely easy to understand and it can crank REALLY loud.

If anybody has any ideas/solutions I would be very grateful.

DJ11DLN

I'm having the same trouble - I have excellent hearing and a relatively quiet vehicle, and the radio is just plain not loud enough.

So I bought a Uniden BC23A. And it's made maybe a 10% improvement, if that. Now it gets louder, but when it reaches about the level that the radio by itself was maxxing out on, it starts to distort. It will get louder after that, but it's a useless, distorted louder. I've turned the level on the speaker down a bit and that might have given me a slightly larger useful window, but all in all it's really disappointing. Makes a lot of traffic hard if not impossible to understand. The only traffic that's loud/easy to copy is P25 phase 2 - it's VERY loud.

I've got a Kenwood V71a dual band ham rig in the truck as well with a small CB-type speaker, and the difference is incredible. It's extremely easy to understand and it can crank REALLY loud.

If anybody has any ideas/solutions I would be very grateful.
I don't have the BC23A, though I've thought about getting one...but every set of computer speakers I ever connected to the headphone jack of an HH scanner would literally blast. That is with the scanner volume set to about half. Many are designed to tap 12VDC from the computer to operate...these can easily be used in a mobile install, either both or just the "master" speaker that contains the amp & inputs. Just FYI I have some hearing loss and tinnitus due to exposure to loud equipment in years past and I have little to no trouble hearing/understanding traffic via amplified computer speakers.

cmdrwill

The scanner manufactures make the Earphone Jack meet the sound limits, Federal I think, for ear buds and other ear phones. So there is probably a resistor to limit the output. Not having the road map for the scanner, hard to say what the audio amp stage looks like.

HOLEBILLY

I tried many amplified speakers and none worked. What I found to work was the aux jack on the radio in my truck. This works great by hooking your TRX1 to the AUX jack of your truck-car radio.

cpo86

Premium Subscriber
I bought my WS-1088 a few weeks ago and was surprised at how low the audio output was, even though I read the reviews. So for inside the house monitoring I plugged the audio out of my WS-1088 into the aux jack of my Sangean PR-D19 AM/FM radio (which is approx 6Lx4hx1d). The audio output of the Sangean increased the db level of the conventional signals significantly to what you'd expect in a handheld. The digital audio is booming. Using AA rechargeables in both radios.

N4OGL

Premium Subscriber
I use a Motorola Speaker (like HSN4031B) on all my radios. That thing's deafening when cranked up. You can find 'em at most any hamfest.

Status
Not open for further replies.