Whistler scanner in San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkEnder47

Hi! I am going on vacation to the San Antonio / Bexar County area next month, I was just curious if the WS1088 would work with their radio system. Thank you!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi! I am going on vacation to the San Antonio / Bexar County area next month, I was just curious if the WS1088 would work with their radio system. Thank you!
The WS1088 will only get some of the activity.
Most of the San Antonio and Bexar County public safety agencies are on the old EDACS/ProVoice system.

While some of the 'lesser' agencies, like public works, use analog on that system, the public safety agencies, such as San Antonio PD & FD, and Bexar County Sheriff, among others, are using ProVoice talkgroups. The 1088 cannot decode ProVoice. Only certain Uniden scanners, with a paid upgrade, can do ProVoice.

However, apparently some of the ProVoice talkgroups are patched to the new P25 system that will replace the ProVoice.

I would suggest doing a library import of the second system (the P25), and also running a wildcard on it.

I don't have any idea as to how many of the conventional public safety channels listed on the Bexar County page are active. Maybe one of the San Antonio area members can shed more light on what's used the most.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
He’s correct about ProVoice for SAFD/PD and BCSO and BC VFDs and EMS. The P25 system does carry some traffic, but only when a user with a P25 radio affiliates to the talkgroup that needs to be patched, or if the comm center initiates a patch. You definitely won’t hear everything you could unless you have a Uniden with PRV upgrade. The beauty of San Antonio for the time being is that practically nothing is encrypted on the local law enforcement side.

Aside from that, there will be a phase 2 system coming on the air in the near future that will eventually replace the EDACS and the Phase 1 SAUA overlay.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Also, the surrounding counties do use a lot of VHF analog and P25. Some Bexar Co VFDs do use their VHF channels at times, and dispatching is always put out on 154.250 along with the EDACS side. Many ISD PDs also use conventional, but probably aren’t very exciting enough to bother with.

DarkEnder47

Okay! Thank you both for the information, When I get there I'm just going to explore and see what I get that isn't ProVoice, and I'll try some conventional channels. Hopefully the new Phase 2 system will not be encrypted, but who knows these days. Again, Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.