Whistler Scanners, a user's experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmiladim

So original poster I'm trying to figure you out here. As far as the radios go it's all been said and I own them all including about a hundred more that are not listed on my signature bought in the last 50 plus years. Even have my tunable monitors all in a museum in the garage, maybe a better word would be boneyard.

All the reviews are accurate and have been discussed ad nauseam so maybe you are a real newbie. You also said I'll be looking at the other brands plural of scanners, there are no other brands oh, there is one other brand and then you have a professional pager and you have professional dedicated radios.

This is a tdma Phase 2 world now, not for everybody but that's coming, that's why Whistler is still in business. Uniden made a simulcast capable radio and Whistler did not and their long in the tooth offerings inherited from GRE don't work for most on P2, If they did work on P2 then the whistlers would be my favorite go-to radio just because of its size, once I remove the rubber spare tire case and I like the keyboard on the TRX and I always liked the displays, the GOOD quality control I give the designer Don Starr and his company GRE the credit for that, not Whistler, because Whistler hasn't changed anything except for cosmetic changes like keyboards and upgrading some of the older models. Don does not come on the Forum anymore. If this was still a type II smartzone system world, I go with the whistlers, always crisp and clear compared to the Uniden counterparts.

The Uniden SDR radios are pretty incredible. Fantastic display, good simulcast performance and I think good audio. There are some quality control issues. They have also not been updated and certain bugs not attended to because unfortunately and regrettably the one of a kind designer passed on a few months shy of a year ago.

So poster, I'm trying to figure you out, either you really are a newbie or you've been around the block. Your etiquette on RR is lacking but you did know about hating which is something that was more prevalent on RR years back. I think reality has set in for everybody now and there is less hate to be seen and less inflammatory post like yours, especially made on the Whistler forum. LOL.

Just my $0.02... Bob.

Very Nicely Written.

usmiladim

I live in Cleveland Ohio and i own 2 Whistler 1065 plus a bcd396xt...and others...i am not having any issues receiving the GCRCN that is simulcast.
maybe im lucky but these radios perform for me....
mjschwartz
Would it be possible to contact you on Messenger? I’m in Macedonia and have a few questions that I’d like to ask if possible. Thank you

riverradio68

Feed Provider
Every single UNIDEN of mine has been sent in for service and all of them for the same thing. Rear speaker jack blown. My TRX-1 was sent in for a bad squelch gate. Both companies fix the issue. I blame cheap chicom parts!

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
The OP may be a premium subscriber, but has not replied to anything in this thread AND the initial post is their ONLY post on the board......seems a little trollish to me.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Even a professional radio isn't perfect. I occasionally have distortion or a lost signal on my Motorola while my Pro-18 is clear with a solid S meter reading. Even though Whistler didn't design the radios, their upgrade program for the Pro 18 and related models was a noticeable improvement. I am lucky enough to be in a location where the local simulcast system reception is good even on my Pro 106.

Status
Not open for further replies.