Whistler scanners now on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
It's good to know that Amazon will be selling Whistler scanners. Sometimes you can get a good deal with their price fluctuations.

Last edited:
Im really curious what the performance will be like,If they will follow the 106/500 specs..

Also wondering whats up with the 1 to 3 month shipping time is about..

time will tell I suppose.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
I wonder why the shipping is so delayed. Is Whistler selling these officially yet? That Amazon screenshot shows 1-3 month wait.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
They've basically "reserved" the listing so that other distribution outlets don't create product pages, first. This helps them ensure that the first and most prominent information on Amazon is accurate and reflects the story they want to tell about their product. I suspect 1-3 months is because the product won't be in production for another couple of months, at best (that is just my guess based on my experience, not based on anything specific I've heard about their business).

I noticed the same situation when I looked up the UNIDEN GPSK,Amazon had a 2-4 week ship time,which would go with your post regarding that uniden was getting more GPSK kits in the next couple weeks..

In Unidens case I can see it making sense..But for a product that has not been released yet.Seems almost like a hype building move by Whistler..Coming Soon to a Theater Near You!...A radio you Might want...Just the marketing game I guess.

B

bearcat7039

Whistler1040

That radio whenever it becomes available is nothing more than a restamped PSR500. Who wants a five-year-old radio with no new technology. Plus when I look at my 500 it's all buttons with a tiny screen that gives minimal information. Just a retooled old model.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
That radio whenever it becomes available is nothing more than a restamped PSR500. Who wants a five-year-old radio with no new technology. Plus when I look at my 500 it's all buttons with a tiny screen that gives minimal information. Just a retooled old model.

Why is it, on any thread discussing these scanners, that some clueless person has to post this? You're not revealing some big secret that no one knows, it's been known for quite a while.

And there are plenty of people who can use one, I have no need for phase II, the Whistlers cover everything I'm in range of. What you think people not is not what many actually need.

VicradioZone

Premium Subscriber
Why is it, on any thread discussing these scanners, that some clueless person has to post this? You're not revealing some big secret that no one knows, it's been known for quite a while.

And there are plenty of people who can use one, I have no need for phase II, the Whistlers cover everything I'm in range of. What you think people not is not what many actually need.

Because its the best ammunition they have in a rather limited armoury.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
That radio whenever it becomes available is nothing more than a restamped PSR500. Who wants a five-year-old radio with no new technology? Plus when I look at my 500 it's all buttons with a tiny screen that gives minimal information. Just a retooled old model.

It may be five year (or older) old technology, but at least it's technology that works. What with the problems Uniden is having with getting all advertised services for their new scanners to market, so to speak, perhaps people just want a scanner that does what it's advertised to do. The new-old Whistlers is proven technology.

:)

VicradioZone

Premium Subscriber
It gives us options should we be displeased with one brand or the other also. A very important aspect in all of this.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Uniden branded gear and have done so for a long time, over 25 years, however I'll be seriously considering Whistler gear when more is factually known regarding their releases simply to say 'Up yours' to Uniden Australia given how they've treated our local (Australia & NZ) market for the last 10 years now.

If the gear doesn't perform then at least I will know and I'll weigh up my options again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 5+ year old tech still works in a large market area.Whistler who has acquired GRE's product line will not sink large amounts of money into R&D for new toys unless they see they can make money and indeed to claim a part of the market share.

Its common sense from the business aspect.Besides many are looking forward to the 800's base model,with the detachable face,or the re-release of the 800 itself.less you forget that GRE was the first to introduce a phase2 radio,and the put the beta 1 and 2 out shortly before the shutdown.

personally,I had a 106 & a 500,,the 106 I sold,the 500 was stolen by TSA.Wish I still had both.They were solid radios,who cares if the display was not crammed with alphanumeric information.It trunked very well.It was easy to use.Easy to punch a freq into on the fly.

Old dose not equal bad.And New dose not equal good.there are plenty of HAMs that have 10,20 hell even 30 year old rigs that still rock hard and burn the airwaves up.

darrylcn

The GRE/Radio Shack digital radios still work great. I love mine.
I agree. I love my pro-106 and have no interest in getting rid of it.

I'm glad to see the price is more reasonable, though. Not that there isn't a potential for it to go up between now and when it's actually released.

I'm also in this camp. Love my PSR-500, and it will work on our upcoming (this fall) 700MHz system too.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber

Haha..your signature gives you away, you Radio Shack/GRE fan boy. :)

But lettuce be real. That price is way too high for an old scanner like that..Whistler needs to be realistic.

radiomanNJ1

Apparently you have an issue with Whistler. This model is the replacement for the PSR 800 not 5 year old technology. It is 2 years old.
It has been written that at the Dayton Hamvention Whistler announced that the new model would not be available until the fall.

Yes it's hype to announce it and tell you it's coming. Just like television networks hype new shows and upcoming new seasons; etc.

There are always buyers who want the first and I bet Amazon has some on preorder. No one is forcing you to buy any scanner. Please feel free to not order one.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

kruser

Premium Subscriber
without Whistler you have NO parts for repair for GR//rs scanners .

Yep, assuming Whistler made no changes to the internal design, they should contain the same parts as the GRE/RS models for the re-badged models. I'd be fairly certain they only made cosmetic changes and would be allowed to use the existing FCC certification that the GRE/RS models already had.
I'd imagine some minimal testing/certification was needed but I bet it was minimal if it was needed. As long as they declare the internal design has not changed in any way, they should be good to go and likely the reason for the release of the re-badged models.
Any new models would need full certification and approval which can take a long time so those will come later.
I really do hope they redesign the front ends in any new models so they are not so susceptible to desense from other nearby high RF levels both in and out of band.
The front end design was a killer for me in my high RF area otherwise I like the GRE's. And the problem with the eeprom chip in the PSR500/600 models.
I hope they use a chip in new designs that can handle many more writes before the memory cells start failing.
They used an automotive version for the EEPROM. It can handle a very high temperature range so it can be left in a hot car with the windows shut on a hot and sunny day without damage. But... that chip has a fairly low number of write cycles before the memory cells start failing.
After mine would no longer hold my programming, I replaced the eeproms with a lower temp version but it has way more write cycles before cell failure. I figured I'd be fine with that as I never use mine or leave it in a hot car baking in the sun all day.
For those that do leave them in a hot environment, it may be wise to find the automotive version of the eeprom if yours is failing.
The eeprom chip itself is only like a dollar or two and is only 8 pins so can be easily swapped out but the challenge is getting at it as the soldered shield cover must be removed first.
Not sure if Whistler could have improved upon the eeprom used without causing a full re-certification of the ex GRE models.

An average user of a 500 or 600 should get about 5 years before seeing eeprom problems. Those that change programming a lot more than average will see a shorter life. Those that program by hand will see a longer life as you are not writing all cells like happens when you make a single change in software and dump that into the scanner. When using software, it writes all cells regardless if a change was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.