Whistler scanners now on RadioShack Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well the good thing is that these radios are coming real soon since they are showing up on RS site and pricing to follow. I think that's why overstock.com was blowing out RS older handheld models for 80 bucks yesterday to fit room for the new models.

Good to see some new models to compete with Uniden. Put some competition into the mix.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
WS1010 Digital Handheld?

After viewing this post, I was curious. So, I checked. RS has the WS1010 listed as a handheld Digital scanner. When I looked the model up on other sites, it was shown to be analog. I thought that was a mighty low price for digital. At least these radios are starting to show up.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Hope Whistler introduces the PSR-800 at a competitive price point. It's always good to have competition. It's almost never good to have a sole player.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
If Whistler prices themselves out of the scanner market then they're finished. Nobody wants to pay $500+ for a P25 Phase I scanner. Even $450.00 is too much.

Uniden on the other hand have gotten lazy and complacent with the whole x36HP line. Mr UPMan is working overtime with spin.

racin06

They already are. Whistler has the WS 1080 which happens to be GRE's PSR- 800. To this day it still out performs the Uniden *36HP scanners. The WS 1095 is the base version of the PSR-800. Look at what Uniden put into their new 436HP and the GRE PSR-800 had it for 2 years. Entire database on microSD, Audio Recording ( PER Channel ) , Programmable LED (four color per channel) , TDMA x2 - and of course the best P25 decoding hands down.
So yes Whistler is a serious player.

These scanners are nothing but warmed over GRE products. Regarding comparing the PSR-800 to the Uniden 436, the 436 is heads above the 800. Yes, I own the 436 and did own the 800. I sold the 800 because it couldn't even come close to monitoring my local P25 simulcast system...25% of the time, just a bunch of digital garble and 75% of the time, no audio at all. However, the 436 monitors this simulcast system without a hitch and with the RS 800Mhz rubber antenna. Perhaps you should buy a 436 before you bash?

https://vimeo.com/85494169

Last edited:

E-Man

Banned
I noticed alot of transmission crackling? in your video? Thanks for posting.

lindsay34654

I love it when people do not read everything they can about a product they are coming out with 4 products 2 hand held at a every low price and the Whistler match Equal to the 436 and the 536 at $595 each. SO where are you saving any money with whistler for an unproven radio and the one that mentioned about the PSR 800, they are making Whistler GRE not PSR. And of all places RS they are closing them faster then you can spell the name doesn't anyone on here watch the news or read a paper or even look at the other sites on here. Next I will be waiting to hear all you people complaining about whistler a company that never made a scanner.

racin06

LOL...over 200 views of that video and you are the first to claim crackling. Don't let brand loyalty cloud your objectivity. I will certainly buy a Whistler scanner in the future when they release their own new models. However, the PSR800 simply isn't capable of monitoring my local simulcast system.

E-Man

Banned
You are familiar with your system, and have made comparisons with both Scanners. I have no reason to doubt you. I posted my observations, could just be my old crackly ears. If you are happy then that is all that matters.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
What he need is a side-by-side (same antenna via power divider same loss) and same data base loaded across the bands and also test the infamos P25 / Simlucast.

I suspect without that kind of minimal test the subjectivity and blind brand loyality (not to mention technical specs) will always and forever be a endless debate as apples and coconuts comparsions in RR are mostly it appears...few facts -only experts...

All the 'mine is better' or if you used a $5,000 commercial radio you would not have that issue....I think competition is great for all sides as otherwise we get locked upgrade's not innovation...

Otherwise is is most QRM...

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
There is no way I would pay 599.99 for a P25 phase 1 scanner, when I bought mine for 329.99, a Pro-197.

I feel the same way, Ronnie. I can't imagine why anyone would, especially for an unproven radio/new company. Once Whistler starts spitting out their own designs with features to compete with Uniden, then "we'll talk"

N8IAA

That wasn't crackling. It was the scanner not hearing the transmissions completely. If you watch the video again, and look in the upper right corner of the scanner display, you will see that it is not receiving the signal at full strength. It is flickering between 2 and 3-4 bars. The audio sounded good though. But a side by side video with a 106 or 396XT would be interesting on the same system.
Larry

lindsay34654

Whistler

That's a little easier to handle. Thank you. hahaha

If you look at their site it does not give a price you have to call and like it says they do not stock it they order from the manufacture so I have no idea where the person got the price and the ad also says that once they receive an order it takes at least 15 business days to get it that could mean a month. and since Whistler set the price how can this person set his own price?

Status
Not open for further replies.