Whistler scanners now on RadioShack Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpv

Insider Tip

Only if Radio Shack actually carries them in their stores. I'm hope its not going to be another Radio Shack item that can only be purchased online.

I hate when I run into that. They get you into the store hoping you can see, touch, feel, and purchase on the spot only to be told "That item-number can only be purchased on line" That is a major reason I have stopped shopping at Best Buy and Radio Shack. If I'm going to buy online I'll buy from the lowest price website, in most cases Radio Shack and Best Buy loose.

A little insider tip from my time a decade+ ago.

#550 series sku's indicate that the item is a catalog/warehouse only item. This item is not stocked in stores. You should be able to place an order via the store if you prefer to do that rather than buy online. It will be shipped like an online order would.

#20 series, is the sku series that typically applies to scanners. If the item bears this it should be an item that is normally available in store. #19 series was two-way radios.

I was searching for a reference that is publicly available that had some of these items covered (that were common knowledge amongst experienced employees)

Hope that helps in the future, and like others stated, SHOP AROUND FIRST.

Ensnared

Factory Authorized Dealer

I've never heard of BLT. I don't know if it will listed as a "factory authorized" dealer.

When I bought my PSR 500, it was from a company that also sold Fender guitars & Harley Davidson parts. I found this online by searching for the lowest price. The company was called SBH corporation. Later, I found this warning:Ripoff Report | SBH Corp Complaint Review Brooklyn, New York: 419714

I discovered a problem with the radio I purchased when I had to send it in for repair. After the BNC module was replaced by GRE, they called me stating that it was finished. When I started asking question about what was done, the representative said, "we can't fix this radio." I asked them why. They stated, "this has a C beside the serial number & that indicates that this is a Canadian model." They stated that they were going to reverse the repair & send it back to me. GRE suggested that I contact SBH for a replacement.

When I called them, I immediately complained that they sold me an illegal radio since it was a Canadian model without any FCC approval. I also told them that I had digital photographs of the serial number with the "C" beside it. I was surprised when the representative told me to send it back for an American model replacement. I might add, this was at 11 months post purchase. They kept their word. I am still using this radio today.

I just wanted to share this with those who might consider buying from an obscure company. Again, I don't know much about BLT, but I am going to stick with Scanner Master, Universal Radio, etc. when and if I buy a Whistler. When I opened up BLT, I saw where they also sold apparel and jewelry. Seeing this site brought back memories. LOL.

Last edited:

sjgostovich

Anyone have any word on when these units are going to ship? I see alot of the online retailers have them listed but nothing in stock.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
RadioShack will have 30% off prices etc etc

But yes if they want to be a player they will need to lower the regular prices

petrol88

I don't understand how Whistler product can be advertised on any web site. None of them have FCC approvals...and offering a product for sale (FCC defines as showing product and price, even if the product is not going to be available until a future date) garners you a $10,000 fine per violation (which they can define as per product per day). So far, RadioShack has racked up a potential $100,000+ fine.

microx

The fact that they ARE listed on the RS site (with no new additional FCC approval) merely confirms for me these will be IDENTICAL electronically to the previous GRE versions. (Probably why the Whistler version of the PSR-900 isn't listed yet, as I'm not sure it made it through the FCC process previously) If this is the case, would it be possible the existing FCC ID number might still apply?

oracavon

I don't understand how Whistler product can be advertised on any web site. None of them have FCC approvals...and offering a product for sale (FCC defines as showing product and price, even if the product is not going to be available until a future date) garners you a $10,000 fine per violation (which they can define as per product per day). So far, RadioShack has racked up a potential $100,000+ fine.

I checked the FCC rules (Part 2, Subpart I). They do allow advertising, including price, if the ad also includes the exact FCC-specified notice which states, among other things, that it cannot be sold or offered for sale until it receives FCC approval. However, the RS website does not contain that notice, so it would still appear to be in violation. Unless the previous GRE approvals really are valid for the Whistler-branded models somehow.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I checked the FCC rules (Part 2, Subpart I). They do allow advertising, including price, if the ad also includes the exact FCC-specified notice which states, among other things, that it cannot be sold or offered for sale until it receives FCC approval. However, the RS website does not contain that notice, so it would still appear to be in violation. Unless the previous GRE approvals really are valid for the Whistler-branded models somehow.

I suppose it's possible that they could somehow use the same FCC type acceptance, but I doubt it since the IP was sold to Whistler and most likely would have to be re-certified to be compliant with regulation.

I find it interesting that Universal Radio is not listing them.

I'll be waiting with popcorn to see what happens next. :twisted:

yaesu_dave

That may be. But nowhere in the description does it say that. Also says they are out of stock. I hope people did not buy them thinking they are digital scanners.

Apparently at least one person did just that. Read the review of the WS1010 model on Radio Shack's site. The scanner is clearly described as an "Analog Handheld Radio Scanner," but some dork bought it thinking it would receive APCO 25 digital. To quote Ron White, "you can't fix stupid." :)

Bearcatman911

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Whistler scanners are still basically GRE scanners.

I don't think Whistler is going to be a serious player. Sad that GRE is gone.

Some of the same GRE engineers and designers are working for whistler in the scanner development and deign no reason to believe they will be ant different.

Nasby

Some of the same GRE engineers and designers are working for whistler in the scanner development and deign no reason to believe they will be ant different.

And that is a VERY good thing!!

They clearly know what they are doing!!!

Bearcatman911

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
And that is a VERY good thing!!

They clearly know what they are doing!!!

Yes it is a very good thing....never had a major issues with a GRE scanner other than that face plate issue with the PSR 800 but they would have fixed that id it hadn't happened at the same time they lost their lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.