Whistler scanners now on RadioShack Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
That may be. But nowhere in the description does it say that. Also says they are out of stock. I hope people did not buy them thinking they are digital scanners.

lotsofradios

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Maybe Whistler will save Radio Shack

Only if Radio Shack actually carries them in their stores. I'm hope its not going to be another Radio Shack item that can only be purchased online.

I hate when I run into that. They get you into the store hoping you can see, touch, feel, and purchase on the spot only to be told "That item-number can only be purchased on line" That is a major reason I have stopped shopping at Best Buy and Radio Shack. If I'm going to buy online I'll buy from the lowest price website, in most cases Radio Shack and Best Buy loose.

r_eugene1

That may be. But nowhere in the description does it say that. Also says they are out of stock. I hope people did not buy them thinking they are digital scanners.
I myself also checked the specs. on the scanners and it said 'non-trunking' so they are just analog scanners.
Don't you just love how they misinform the public?

awattam

I hate when I run into that. They get you into the store hoping you can see, touch, feel, and purchase on the spot only to be told "That item-number can only be purchased on line" That is a major reason I have stopped shopping at Best Buy and Radio Shack. If I'm going to buy online I'll buy from the lowest price website, in most cases Radio Shack and Best Buy loose.

I find the same problems at Home Depot and Walmart also. You find the product you want on their web sites and then find its an online item from a different retailer.

whsbuss

I don't think Whistler is going to be a serious player. Sad that GRE is gone.

Wally46

Feed Provider
I find the same problems at Home Depot and Walmart also. You find the product you want on their web sites and then find its an online item from a different retailer.

I hear ya. Seen a flashlight I wanted on the Home Depot website and it said it was in the store so I drove across town and flashlights everywhere, but not the one I wanted. Ended up ordering one online from Amazon.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I don't think Whistler is going to be a serious player. Sad that GRE is gone.

They already are. Whistler has the WS 1080 which happens to be GRE's PSR- 800. To this day it still out performs the Uniden *36HP scanners. The WS 1095 is the base version of the PSR-800. Look at what Uniden put into their new 436HP and the GRE PSR-800 had it for 2 years. Entire database on microSD, Audio Recording ( PER Channel ) , Programmable LED (four color per channel) , TDMA x2 - and of course the best P25 decoding hands down.
So yes Whistler is a serious player.

scosgt

If they are selling a PRO-106 clone for $599 they won't be in the scanner business for very long.

whsbuss

They already are. Whistler has the WS 1080 which happens to be GRE's PSR- 800. To this day it still out performs the Uniden *36HP scanners. The WS 1095 is the base version of the PSR-800. Look at what Uniden put into their new 436HP and the GRE PSR-800 had it for 2 years. Entire database on microSD, Audio Recording ( PER Channel ) , Programmable LED (four color per channel) , TDMA x2 - and of course the best P25 decoding hands down.
So yes Whistler is a serious player.

But I'm not sure customers are going to pay the prices based on what we see at Radio Shack.

whsbuss

if they fixed the few flaws that GRE scanners were known for, and left everything else alone, id think long and hard about it.. lol

(but i doubt they'll fix those)

And that's my point. Look at the x36 from Uniden. They added some great features but the basic function of good, quality decoding of digital systems has not changed much...... good for some but bad for others.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
And that's my point. Look at the x36 from Uniden. They added some great features but the basic function of good, quality decoding of digital systems has not changed much...... good for some but bad for others.

Which is why I won't spend that much for a 500/106 clone. For $599 I'd expect more features than what GRE had before they closed shop. They won't be able to compete with that price, bugs worked out or not. I have a 106, but I'm not really brand loyal when it comes to scanners. I want the most bang for my buck and pricing the new ones so high and no additional features? Yeah. That's not happening. I don't "need" a 2nd radio, but I'd like to have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.