Whistler to Launch New LSM Capable Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Mpt1327 is hardly used in the US and thank god it’s dying a slow painful death in the uk too. Most inefficient trunking system known to man.

Except when someone in the neighborhood uses it. We have a regional power utility that has a statewide system. As long you have have salesmen that can sell refrigerators to Eskimos you will have different modes of trunking that some people use.

AOD999

lolbannalol2 - TETRA wont be in American Scanner Radios, we don' use TETRA. but, Whistler dose sell International models of their Scanners, possibly those will include TETRA.
Might want to double check about TETRA not being used in the USA. It’s favourable upgrade point coming from MPT1327 and even DMR Tier 3

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Mpt1327 is hardly used in the US and thank god it’s dying a slow painful death in the uk too. Most inefficient trunking system known to man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not dying here, Rocky Mountain Power Uses it, unitrunker and Trunkview track it, but nothing else as far as scanners do. Very Sad, I wished one did

Ubbe

There are programs like trunqito and trunksnort and some others that works really well with an old Unidenscanner like BC780, and it decodes the control channel and sends the scanner to the voice channels while displaying TGs and IDs with name tags in windows.

I also have Ian Wraiths mpt1327 box that uses the discriminator signal from one scanner to decode and controls another scanner that are tuned to the voice channels and between calls it can do its normal scanning routines.

/Ubbe

Ensnared

But, do these new models track DMR/NXDN conversations like Uniden? If this has been corrected, I might return to my former favorite radio, GRE-influenced design.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
For the folks that own a TRX-1/2, could an upgrade be possibly done with the scanner, as in you send it away and pay a fee to upgrade it to mirror the TRX 100/200 or is that not feasible?

Why would Whistler even consider doing that? it makes no sense to offer new scanners if existing scanners could just be upgraded. That makes zero business sense at all.

If you want the features of a 100/200 then you need to purchase one of those 2 new models.

Marshall KE4ZNR

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's likely not feasible anyway, as the new model will have a different receiver and probably a different display as well. There's not much point in an "upgrade" that replaces everything except the outer case shell. A new unit would probably be cheaper anyway, when you factor in the cost of gutting the case and installing new everything by hand, vs running new units off an automated assembly line.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Why would Whistler even consider doing that? it makes no sense to offer new scanners if existing scanners could just be upgraded. That makes zero business sense at all.

If you want the features of a 100/200 then you need to purchase one of those 2 new models.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Somebody always asks...always...

BrianG61UK

It's likely not feasible anyway, as the new model will have a different receiver and probably a different display as well. There's not much point in an "upgrade" that replaces everything except the outer case shell. A new unit would probably be cheaper anyway, when you factor in the cost of gutting the case and installing new everything by hand, vs running new units off an automated assembly line.

Given the minimal changes to the hardware in the TRX-1 since the PSR-800 I see no reason to suppose there will be any more than the bare minimum of hardware changes. Why would they need to change the display?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A SDR receiver design is significantly different than a standard receiver. SDR also offers the possibility of waterfall and/or band scope displays, which wouldn't work with the current display screen. Also, if there was only a bare minimum of design changes, why buy the new model?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
And because we're hoping there's a new design because, aside from the built in remote head capabilities which are amazing, the current design leaves plenty to be desired. Just my opinion.

BrianG61UK

And because we're hoping there's a new design because, aside from the built in remote head capabilities which are amazing, the current design leaves plenty to be desired. Just my opinion.
I'm saying it's unlikely, not that it wouldn't be great if they did.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

BrianG61UK

A SDR receiver design is significantly different than a standard receiver. SDR also offers the possibility of waterfall and/or band scope displays, which wouldn't work with the current display screen. Also, if there was only a bare minimum of design changes, why buy the new model?
There's been no suggestion that I've seen that anything SDR like is being added other than that presumably they'll add a CQPSK demodulator for LSM to the DSP functions (and possibly/probably change the existing AM and FM demodulators to DSP versions as well).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You have to have SDR to do I/Q demodulation. I/Q denotes a particular type of digitized RF data.

BrianG61UK

You have to have SDR to do I/Q demodulation. I/Q denotes a particular type of digitized RF data.
But you DO NOT have to digitize any more than the signal you want to receive, as is available at the output of the existing narrow IF filters.

fredva

Feed Provider
Keep in mind that the PSR-800, the PRO-668, WS-1080, etc. aren't being sent in to do NXDN like the TRX radios do. They are upgradeable to DMR but not NXDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.