Whistler to Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeCeee

I purchased a SDS100 a month ago. Today, it is dead. Paid more for it on Amazon just for this eventuality of an early death. The 536HP that I have had to be sent in for repair also. The SDS is really good on P25 Simulcast but it has/had poorer reception on all other bands than any scanner I have ever owned and I have had a bunch since 1978. I want to like the SDS but given the buggy hardware and it's energy requirements I just can't. The last two Uniden Scanners I have purchased have had to be returned. You can say what you want but my money requires a more reliable product.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If your unit was defective, its performance probably wasn't representative of what a good unit can do.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
I have a SDS100. I have had to sent in for repair twice. The second time was within 10 days of recieving it back from repair. I am not the only person that has either. There been far to many people having to send it in twice for repair.
Far too many? Really? I count around 10 units out of thousands. Omg. The sky is falling too

Blunt630

I bought one of the first SDS100's when it first made it to market. I recently bought a WS1080 practically brand new, the whistler software was super confusing compared to using Uniden's or ProScan's tools. I said to hell with this, I bought a second SDS100.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
We have shown Serial numbers for units made each year and we see the number of complaints by people. Each person counts as 1 complaint not the same person complaining 50 times about the same thing. We know the numbering setup so we can know the number of units made per year.

radio3353

We have shown Serial numbers for units made each year and we see the number of complaints by people. Each person counts as 1 complaint not the same person complaining 50 times about the same thing. We know the numbering setup so we can know the number of units made per year.

Thanks, but I believe your data is incomplete. Yes, you may be able to figure out how many radios are sold, however you only see the number of complaints from a limited set of RR forum users. Is that sample size large enough to infer that the SDS radios do or do not have a quality problem? Nobody knows the whole population of SDS buyers with problems to be able to develop a proper sample size to plug into the formula to develop a valid statistic. Not every user with a complaint airs it here or is even a RR forum member. I am really hoping MisterLongwire is the one who responds with his statistically valid data to prove me wrong and we can put this guesswork to rest as it just goes on and on. I had an early display failure (two weeks old!) with my SDS200 so I am not so quick to believe all is well in the SDS quality world. That is my statistic: 1 for 1 bad; 100% failure rate. Fortunately I bought it from Amazon and got all of my money back and no shipping cost loss or restocking fee.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thanks, but I believe your data is incomplete. Yes, you may be able to figure out how many radios are sold, however you only see the number of complaints from a limited set of RR forum users. Is that sample size large enough to infer that the SDS radios do or do not have a quality problem? Nobody knows the whole population of SDS buyers with problems to be able to develop a proper sample size to plug into the formula to develop a valid statistic. Not every user with a complaint airs it here or is even a RR forum member. I am really hoping MisterLongwire is the one who responds with his statistically valid data to prove me wrong and we can put this guesswork to rest as it just goes on and on. I had an early display failure (two weeks old!) with my SDS200 so I am not so quick to believe all is well in the SDS quality world. That is my statistic: 1 for 1 bad; 100% failure rate. Fortunately I bought it from Amazon and got all of my money back and no shipping cost loss or restocking fee.
So you're arguing your sample of one constitutes a more valid statistical universe?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What ever you can believe what you want and what you will but facts are facts thousands of scanners bought very select few with problems reported through here. I have 1 question have you started walking yet? Every major car makers has had recalls on every car made. BTW my 2 SDS100's and 1 SDS200 all first runs are working great.

Blunt630

What ever you can believe what you want and what you will but facts are facts thousands of scanners bought very select few with problems reported through here. I have 1 question have you started walking yet? Every major car makers has had recalls on every car made. BTW my 2 SDS100's and 1 SDS200 all first runs are working great.

Both my SDS100s works great! Even my first one that arrived with a small battery. Still wished they kept making the small battery as an option.

Just using Whistlers' software was enough to make me buy another SDS.

Even with my older BCD396xt, FreeScan software was easier then Whistlers' software.

Thank you to ProScan! Your software makes it super easy to program for both my SDS100s.

radio3353

So you're arguing your sample of one constitutes a more valid statistical universe?

Wasn't my intent, but since you asked, actually yes. It is verifiable data. That's all I have been asking for, yet never seem to receive it.

Ubbe

Compare the number of complaints in RR with the number of people in RR that has a SDS scanner in his signature or have posted that they have bought a SDS. Comparing to how many scanners that where produced in Vietnam will probably not show the true figures. Not even Uniden will have those as an unsatisfied user will either sell his scanner or shelf it waiting for a future firmware upgrade or thinking that it it's probably user error and needs to figure out this complicated scanner at a later date. They don't bother sending it in for investigation or fiddling with 5 different filter settings for each site, or set it to auto and have it scan irretatingly slow.

/Ubbe

radio3353

"What ever"? That is a teenager's response. You can do better than that.
"with problems reported through here." You clearly did not comprehend my post. Read it again, please.
Not sure what you car maker analogy means. Did Uniden recall any SDS radios? Maybe I missed that. And, "every" car made has been recalled? Really? I must have missed that, too.
I have no idea what your "started walking" question means so I can't offer a response.
Thanks anyway.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Ubbe I agree there are numbers we do not know but when I have 3 SDS's with 0 problems I can not agree that the SDS line has 100% failures as others have posted. My scanners have not been mistreated dropped or any other way been mistreated and they preform just fine. Not saying that every failure is the users fault but some may be. I think we as a country need to take back our manufacturing jobs and build a better radio yes it may cost a little more but if you are old enough to remember TV's built in the US were better a radio tech with a soldering iron is way better than a robot.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
"What ever"? That is a teenager's response. You can do better than that.
"with problems reported through here." You clearly did not comprehend my post. Read it again, please.
Not sure what you car maker analogy means. Did Uniden recall any SDS radios? Maybe I missed that. And, "every" car made has been recalled? Really? I must have missed that, too.
I have no idea what your "started walking" question means so I can't offer a response.
Thanks anyway.
My reply is you can not and will not listen to reason and this is my last reply to this.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
I have 7 SDS200's here with me in my radio room. Different vendors except for the last 4. No problems. No hum. People were also saying that the HP2 and the 436 are terrible for simulcast. Not in my radio room. Had several fellow enthusiasts over to verify and were quite amused. All you haters of Uniden make me laugh. Compare your radios to your wives-you complain so much obviously they don't perform. Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.