Whistler to Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcraft203

Hi all,
So I have had a whistler 1040 now for about a year and a half. It was my first digital scanner. Around my area Niagara county New York there is P25 phase 1 simulcast. I am on the outer edge of this county and I have to say the whistler picks it up pretty decent. Once in a while some transmissions are choppy or garbled or may miss a transmission. I would say 90% of the time everything is pretty clear so I am assuming I may live in a good spot. I do wish to upgrade though to a Uniden bcd 996p2 or bcd325p2 as some experienced folks say the Unidens decode digital better than the whistlers. I can only assume that if the whistler picks up the simulcast pretty decent then the Unidens should be the same or maybe a bit better even though these are not made for simulcast. Don’t have the cash for an sds model. Anyone have experience with both these bcd models. The base seems nice with a big display but the handheld seems fairly tiny even compared to the whistler. I’m assuming they are exactly the same one is just handheld. Thx

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you regularly monitor a simulcast system, one of the SDS scanners might be a better, though more costly, option. They are far and away best on simulcast decode. The 10% trouble you have may be when you want to listen the most.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi all,
So I have had a whistler 1040 now for about a year and a half. It was my first digital scanner. Around my area Niagara county New York there is P25 phase 1 simulcast. I am on the outer edge of this county and I have to say the whistler picks it up pretty decent. Once in a while some transmissions are choppy or garbled or may miss a transmission. I would say 90% of the time everything is pretty clear so I am assuming I may live in a good spot. I do wish to upgrade though to a Uniden bcd 996p2 or bcd325p2 as some experienced folks say the Unidens decode digital better than the whistlers. I can only assume that if the whistler picks up the simulcast pretty decent then the Unidens should be the same or maybe a bit better even though these are not made for simulcast. Don’t have the cash for an sds model. Anyone have experience with both these bcd models. The base seems nice with a big display but the handheld seems fairly tiny even compared to the whistler. I’m assuming they are exactly the same one is just handheld. Thx
I don't have a 996P2, but do have the 325P2.While the 325P2 is much smaller than your WS1040, it does have a good, solid, feel in your hands. However, as it only uses two batteries, the run time before needing to charge or swap out batteries would be less than the 1040.

The 325P2 might be slightly better at simulcast than your 1040, but might not be enough difference to be worth upgrade from your Whistler scanner. In general, the Uniden scanners are better at dealing with nearby transmitters, such as cell towers, than the Whistler/GRE scanners. But if that is not a problem for you, the advantage is meaningless.

If you are getting, roughly, 90% of the traffic you'd expect on your simulcast system, then I would not expect the 325P2 to move that to 95% or better. It should be better than the WS1040, but not as big an improvement that you'd see with the SDS series scanners.

If you are reasonably happy with your current reception and do not, as ofd8001 noted, seem to be missing 'important' conversations, then it might be better to start setting aside what you can in case a switch to the SDS series becomes more imperative. The exception to that would be if your county's system, or another system of interest to you, is planning a switch to P25 Phase II. If that occurs, then you would definitely need the upgrade.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
I started out with a 996P2 and I still have it. However, I recently purchased an SDS200 and the 996P2 just isn’t in the same league. P25 Phase I and II systems aren’t going away. In fact, it’s moving forward with or without the blessings of those locals who want to remain in what is quickly becoming YESTERYEAR! They can kick, scream and squeal like pigs stuck in a fence all they want and they aren’t going to get their way. I’ve been a ham operator for a little over four decades and have seen and experienced a lot of changes in technology during that time. Some worthwhile, other’s less so that could easily fall under the category of “fads“ or “gimmicks“ designed to increase the bottom line of manufacturers while providing absolutely nothing constructive for the end user. Do I like operating an old Drake C Line with tubes that make a nice reflection against the wall when it’s dark? You bet! It’s a piece of amateur radio “Americana“ that’s fun to experience and the memories will always be with me. Would I like to have one now? Absolutely not! The gimmicks aside, the overall design of today’s ham equipment (even the more reasonably priced radios) is far and away better than what was available back then. Was I thrilled about the price tag of the SDS200? Ahhh.....NO! However, it addresses the issue that LSM can and quite often will inflict on the front end of many scanners that are currently in use today. Like just about any technology out there, it’ll get cheaper but unfortunately it isn’t going to happen overnight. Instead of buying a fancy flatscreen television or high end stereo, set aside the scratch necessary to acquire something like the SDS series scanners or something like it. Before anyone starts in with the usual “sure, that’s easy for him to say. He must have a bottomless bank account” NO, I DON‘T! The reason I know is because I’ve gotten burned to many times in the past by not waiting and setting aside more for something demonstrably better, even if I had to wait a bit longer to actually obtain it. I’m just trying to save many of you from making the same stupid mistakes I made when acquiring decent but not all together great equipment for the job at hand.

marksmith

If you are listening to simulcast on a TRS or a non-SDS Uniden, you don't really know how much you are missing.

The 325 and 996 radios (I have them both) are very good digital receivers, but nothing compared to an SDS radio when it comes to simulcast.

If you mainly listed to simulcast, get an SDS.

Xray

Just be prepared to send it in for repair 2 or 3 times

50% of your forum posts seem to be some rehash of the same exact line, so let me ask you

* Do you actually own a SDS that has been sent back multiple times ?
* Do you have actual stats how many SDS models have been sold vs how many have been sent back for repair ?

Without answers to those questions, your constant stream of "send them back !" quips only makes you look like a Whistler employee.

I BTW own a SDS100 and have no problems with it, obviously I am aware of the cold solder joint issue. If I listened to every negative review of a product and refused to buy it I wouldn't have a cell phone, ISP, computer or truck so lets try to keep things in perspective instead of combing the new owners section to repaste your coy advice.

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
If I listened to every negative review of a product and refused to buy it I wouldn't have a cell phone, ISP, computer or truck so lets try to keep things in perspective instead of combin
I have a SDS100. I have had to sent in for repair twice. The second time was within 10 days of recieving it back from repair. I am not the only person that has either. There been far to many people having to send it in twice for repair.

Xray

I have a SDS100. I have had to sent in for repair twice. The second time was within 10 days of recieving it back from repair. I am not the only person that has either. There been far to many people having to send it in twice for repair.

I don't recall saying that only 1 person has sent a SDS to repair. This chronic guy, if you check his posting history, is chronic about trying to steer people away from buying this unit. Am sorry for your problems and, who knows, I may have a problem with mine somewhere down the line - Or my phone, ISP, computer, impact wrench or truck. You might expect an abundance of woes at an item specific forum, just as if you check an iphoneX forum or Amazon Prime. You'' always see a litany of problems and complaints because thats where people go to seek help with problems and complain.
People tend to complain and publicize problems seeking help, whereas the vast majority of folks who have no problems you don't hear from - Leading to the impression, from guys like chronic, that your odds are better with Russian roulette than buying a SDS.

We do have resources like Amazon reviews, which offer a much broader, accurate view than some guy babbling sour eggs on a forum. The SDS100 has 124 reviews, 82% positive and around 14% negative [I combine 5 and 4 stars as pos, 1 and 2 as neg. The 200 has 52 reviews, 92% pos and 8% neg. If you read through and heeded only the negative reviews then, obviously, you would not purchase this unit.
If you read only the + then you would - If you read them both, which you should, then you can make an informed decision what to do.

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
Well he not only recommend people not by the sds100 based on my experience they appears to be either inablity for uniden tech to repair or a design flaw which cause units to fail.
have a probelm is one thing. Have a unit fail for the same reason they were fix a second time or third time is totally different matter.
only 82% positive reviews are rather low.

Xray

Well he not only recommend people not by the sds100 based on my experience they appears to be either inablity for uniden tech to repair or a design flaw which cause units to fail.
have a probelm is one thing. Have a unit fail for the same reason they were fix a second time or third time is totally different matter.
only 82% positive reviews are rather low.

We aren't talking about an ebay sellers ratings, 82% on Amazon is pretty darn good. Obviously that would be little to no consolation to someone with a unit that needs repair, I realize that. Unless and until there is competition for units that can do simulcast reasonably well, Uniden remains the only viable choice - And when/if that other unit comes along, I predict a flood of complaints and shortcomings about that.

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
It seems that only a few 25 or so complain out of thousands of owners.

Please link your facts that only 25 scanners have had problems. Also where your fact of Thousands of owners?
Nobody has posted here saying the same problem fixed 3 times PLEASE LINK TO YOUR FACTS.
I would have find the thread where some mention sending it three times. I recall seeing on person mention back when my scanner had issues. That might been one of the first case of people with a cold solder joint and may have only been one person. But frankly that one to many.

I also notice you never said anything negative about Uniden. In fact you seem to go out of your away to attack people that say anything negative. Got to wonder if your either an uniden employee or paid shrill. Then again maybe you just a fan boy.

Mine is #541 from the first lot of 1000, zero hardware issues.

There are a few people with problems, but most people get good units.
It maybe only a few but in my opinion it a few to many.

Here an example of two products that had to go in to repair.

Product 1 = Costs $849.99 before tax. It stops working. Will not power on. Owner goes to site. gets info for repair. See they need to do a ticket. Opens a ticket. Jan 6, 2020

Is offered two possibility once it detriment there an issue.
1. Ship unit to company vi paid shipping label. They will then ship out a replacement.
2. Give a credit card, company with cross ship replacement and send shipping label. If unit is not received in time the credit card would be charged.

Owner chose option 1. has a working product Jan 24, 2019.

Product 2 = Costs $649.99

August 19, 2019 Product stop working. owner goes to site. Finds warranty and repair info. Follow warranty and repair info on site. Paying to send product in for repair. Unit received back Sept 30, 2019.

Which repair experience is better for the user? If both product where same type. Which one would you want to deal with.

Product 3 = Costs $48.99. Product breaks 2/19. Product replaced 2/21.

Second question lets say both break again 10 days latter. which experience is going to be better for consumer?

Bouns fact both product 1 and 3 where bought in 2016. Product two was bought feb 2019. Only product 2 had to be sent back for repair a second time 10 days after the first one.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
SPOILER ALERT the SDS SERIES SCANNER WAS NOT FOR SALE IN 2016.
Sorry you typed and did link to proof so you are as of now just spreading FALSE RUMORS I own 26 Uniden Scanners now 2 Whistlers 5 GRE Built Radio Shack Scanners so I speak of facts I gave away 3 other GRE built Radioshack scanners when I say I have tested scanners against each other.
I had MONEY in hand for the NEW WHISTLERS that could not be built but only designed on paper. Tell us what scanner has Whistler built from the ground up? Answer NONE they are all copies of GRE DESIGNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.