Whistler TRX-1 & TRX-2 software change suggestion - I sent to Whistler

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
Somehow Whistler needs to figure out how the software can be changed to allow the user to set ADC, DAC and DSP for each specific system.

Currently the carte blanche way of doing things doesn't work well in a multi system environment.

I have had both scanners for over 5 years and it's a constant struggle to find what works best.

When I make changes this also effects non-trunked system also. What I could pickup before is now gone.

Also, a setup for the TRX-1 doesn't always work the same on the TRX-2.

When you set up for one system this reduces the overall ability of the scanners to work well with other systems.

The change should work something like this.
When a user is adding in a new system the user could use the default setting or modify the ADC, DAC and DSP settings.
Once the user is using the scanner in field the user could adjust as needed.
To make adjustments in field, the software would have to be setup so that only one system could be changed at a time. The user would need to scan only the system they want to adjust. No other banks could be set to scan. Any adjustments would then only apply to that system.

So I'm listening to OHIO MARCS Site 002-002, Motorola radios and I make adjustments and I find the perfect setting - ADC-1, DAC-4 and DSP-64. I go to the Cleveland GCRCN, Harris radios and I find the best setting for them - ADC+1, DAC-+2 and DSP-56. (Example)

Thanks!
John

Ubbe

And also those settings should be able to be tuned live while monitoring so it would be possible to tweak the value back and forth until you find the best one, not only program a new value, then test, program another value then test again.

And DAC sets the listening volume so that should really have had a individual value for each system right from the start when they designed the firmware.

Also when switching between FM and NFM filter there's no level adjustment to increase the audio level of the NFM signal, you have to use the boost function for that.

/Ubbe

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I'd be happy if Phase I and Phase II talkgroups had the same output volume.

One system I listen to has a mix of Phase I and Phase II radios, with several users using P1 and P2 on the the same talkgroup.

If I crank up the volume loud enough to hear P1 transmissions, P2 transmissions are too loud. If I lower the volume so that P2 transmissions don't make my eardrums bleed, I can't hear P1.

I've turned off audio boost on any talkgroup that has P2 radios, but they are still much louder than P1 talkgroups.

The only other thing I'd like is the ability to copy talkgroups between systems in EZScan with the push of a button and a selection from a drop down menu (like PSREdit used to do.)

Ubbe

The only other thing I'd like is the ability to copy talkgroups between systems in EZScan with the push of a button and a selection from a drop down menu (like PSREdit used to do.)
But they have a very smart system when you program a TG with all the settings you can just add another system number to that TG, you don't have to copy or program that TG again to be used in other systems. I have one wildcard TG programmed and that single TG are being used in all systems. Which scanlists it should be used in are at the far right for each TG and equals to a drop down list.

If you want the exact same scanlists to be used with several TG's you mark the first TG and hold down Shift and mark the last one and then edit one row and all selected TG's will get the same scanlists as that first row. Individual TG's can be selected and deselected while holding down Ctrl.
But if you do not want to change a TG's current scanlists and only want to add one extra scanlist, you will have to do that edit line for line.

/Ubbe

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Considering the condition of electronics (especially components) in today's society, we should be happy they keep things going