Whistler TRX-1 VHF antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

daggit

I finally pulled the plug and bought the TRX-1 after being out of scanning for years. I relocated to Ventura County, Ca and I think most freqs are VHF and looking for recommendations on an antenna to replace the stock one that comes with the unit. Also open to suggestions for a wide range antenna. I won't receive the unit for another couple of days. Just a side note. Whistler offers a Vet discount which helped me decide.

JustLou

The Diamond RH77CA works on great on VHF and UHF, and is fair to good on 800MHz. It's also fairly inexpensive at $25 or less. The only downside is its size.

daggit

Yes I see this antenna coming up all the time but your right, the size.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Just a little observation... I just bought a TRX-1 as well, and the Diamond antenna mentioned. I notice almost no improvement. I am picking up all the same transmission with both. In fact, I tuned to a noaa constant weather broadcast that was coming in but static with stock antenna. Put the diamond on and there was really no change.

Maybe it’s my location, I don’t know, but the extra size and form factor of the diamond negate any very small increase in reception. For me it’s not worth it.

I say give the stock antenna a shot. For me it’s worked beautifully.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
kenmax
Just a little observation... I just bought a TRX-1 as well, and the Diamond antenna mentioned. I notice almost no improvement. I am picking up all the same transmission with both. In fact, I tuned to a noaa constant weather broadcast that was coming in but static with stock antenna. Put the diamond on and there was really no change.

Maybe it’s my location, I don’t know, but the extra size and form factor of the diamond negate any very small increase in reception. For me it’s not worth it.

I say give the stock antenna a shot. For me it’s worked beautifully.
Antennas are ALWAYS YMMV for many reasons and variables.

K9JDN

Feed Provider
Madison County, Illinois (STL Metro-area)
I just bought my first Whistler scanner (TRX-1) and have only been listening with it for a few days. But, I would agree, "give the stock antenna a shot first" and see if it works for you. I'm listening to VHF/UHF PS and 800 Mhz PS and business frequency systems that range from analog to DMR, NXDN and P25-Phase 1. All these systems have antennas/repeaters within a 10-12 mile range of my house and I hear them indoors just fine with the stock antenna. Actually, I am impressed with how well it is doing on all the different systems!

I consider this acceptable performance for a HH scanner. Of course, if your target(s) are further away (15+ miles or more) or terrain is an issue, then perhaps an alternative antenna will provide a workable solution for you. YMMV. Either way, enjoy your new TRX-1!

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I also just purchased the TRX-1 and found that the short antenna that came with the scanner works very well.
jimg

daggit

Thanks for all the input I will stay with the stock antenna then. I was surprised to learn that the only software for the Tax-1 is Ez Scan I had the 1065 before and there were three different third party software programs for it. I guess it is what it is.

DJ11DLN

Thanks for all the input I will stay with the stock antenna then. I was surprised to learn that the only software for the Tax-1 is Ez Scan I had the 1065 before and there were three different third party software programs for it. I guess it is what it is.
E-Z Scan is proprietary, it probably has to do with access to the RRDB being included, no Premium Subscription needed. It isn't bad once you get used to it.

As others have mentioned, antenna performance is going to vary widely, what works for one location will fail in another. If the stock duck is doing the job for you, run with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.