Whistler TRX-1 vs Unication G4 video mini review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

My Whistler does the same thing!
My Uniden receives audio but the Whistler either starts late or just keep attempting to receive it.

I want a g4 now, but I bet those are expensive.

Sent using Tapatalk.

manspcr

Premium Subscriber
I was a little skeptical about how well this little radio would work, even after watching the video, so I ordered one anyway. Let me tell you, it's frigging awesome. For all you guys with simulcast problems, this radio has no problem with that. I got the G4 & signal comes in great. I have a PSR 500 that is no comparison to the G4. I'd advise anyone to buy one, especially if you have simulcast problems. Don't know why scanner manufacturers can't make a scanner to get the job done. Great radio in a small package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfd461

Premium Subscriber
Do these G4s work like a scanner? Are they difficult to program? They sound like a solution to these so scaled scanners there trying to sell us.

cpro48609

Premium Subscriber
Do these G4s work like a scanner? Are they difficult to program? They sound like a solution to these so scaled scanners there trying to sell us.

Similar but a little different. They have no delay or lock out feature but depending how you programmed them they do scan different type groups. The way I have mine set up it pretty much functions as I would have a regular scanner set up for my area.

I think the biggest benefit and reason to have one is it seems to get simulcast reception very, very good. It's also very well-made and very small.

Difficult to program would be relative I suppose. They aren't that bad but you do have to enter everything manually. Meaning there are no radioreference built in programming like the latest scanners have so you can't just search by ZIP Code etc.

The software is actually pretty nice it pretty much step by steps you through the set up.
For the most part you just enter a few details about your system, then enter the primary and alternate control channels, then you enter your talk groups in whatever arrangement you want them on the knob positions.

Some advanced planning makes it a lot easier. I set up a quick spreadsheet with what I wanted in each channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radio3353

Biggest advantage:
handles simulcast systems very well

Biggest disadvantages:
can only scan one system at a time
cannot scan a trunk system and conventional frequencies at the same time
cannot scan P25 Phase 2 (only Phase 1) Unication promises Phase 2, but we have been waiting a very long time

Status
Not open for further replies.