Whistler TRX-1e Motorola TIII receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_93

First of all, location is in the UK. Been into the world of digital radios for many years and isn't new to me. Recently acquired a TRX1 and switched to the latest "e" firmware for the UK. I have it programmed just fine for receiving Cap+. DMR standard and NXDN systems. However, one thing is causing me some bother. There is a local Motorola tier3 system that has popped up that replaced an old MPT1327 system. It has four "sites" (all on the same actual location), on DSD+ it pops up as "TIII (MOT) Site: L1-4 DCC:0 RAS". When I use my TRX-1e in search mode on a frequency in use for a voice call, the scanner will decode the transmission and display the colour code, but will not display any talkgroup information. I have programmed in the frequencies as a DMR system in their correct sites into the scanner with a TG wildcard, put when it scans the system and a call takes place on DSD+, the scanner merely switches from S to T on the screen to show it is seeing trunking data and carries on, not finding or decoding the voice calls. I suspect this maybe due to RAS being on the system, which the scanner can't decode the TG's for some reason, which isn't normally an issues on other DMR (such as CAP+) systems. Anyone have any pointers where I may be going wrong or is this a known bug with the Whistlers?

Ubbe

It's a known bug that the RAS function where left out in the E version. You have to program the scanner with the USA firmware to get that back.

But, the RAS function only works for conventional channels and not in trunked systems. The RAS function are called "Skip DMR TGID" and are only available in the squelch column for conventional DMR channels.

Whistler said that they are gonna fix it in the next E firmware release, but now it is uncertain when and if that will ever be released.

/Ubbe

Scott_93

It's a known bug that the RAS function where left out in the E version. You have to program the scanner with the USA firmware to get that back.

But, the RAS function only works for conventional channels and not in trunked systems. The RAS function are called "Skip DMR TGID" and are only available in the squelch column for conventional DMR channels.

Whistler said that they are gonna fix it in the next E firmware release, but now it is uncertain when and if that will ever be released.

/Ubbe
Thanks, I thought the scanner wasn't performing as good as some have claimed on local RAS CAP+ systems, that now explains why! Guess I'll have to also copy over the huge amount of programming I've done as well! Why the uncertainty towards when and if there will be a updated release to the E firmware?

Ubbe

Why the uncertainty towards when and if there will be a updated release to the E firmware?
I worked with Whistler a year ago to create a swedish bandplan and Whistler was also retreiving info from other countries as well to make more country specific bandplan choises and service search ranges to boost sales in regions that do not have simulcast systems.

The release was delayed at christmas time and then nothing happened and Whistler Wendy finally quit her position at Whistler.

To me it looks as if Whistler do not want to pump in any more investments into their scanner divsion. Probably both Uniden and Whistler are at a standstill right now when it comes to their planning for the future of their scanners. Uniden will of course continue to support their scanners and do bug fixes but new functions are uncertain and that SDS500 we are waiting for might not be released.

/Ubbe

CycleSycho

:( Hope I am way off base, BUT... With the onset of encryption there is a lot of angst whether or not the scanner hobby will continue to have a retail outlook. Just my opinion. :(

mmc-dsm

If you have TIII with RAS, get a Uniden. I have sent several raw samples and information to Whistler so they could make a firmware that can handle TIII with RAS but no one over there was able to get something working. They basically threw the towel.

Scott_93

If you have TIII with RAS, get a Uniden. I have sent several raw samples and information to Whistler so they could make a firmware that can handle TIII with RAS but no one over there was able to get something working. They basically threw the towel.
Hmmm, not great! Being in the UK the only alternative I have really is the 3600 and I don't really like the whole "going through a european distributor" idea for updates as and when they decide. May have to look at bringing in a 436 from stateside at some point. It's rather frustrating, the whole reason I got a whistler is they are better supported in the UK. Even the scanner not being able to handle a cap+ RAS system as well is annoying. In the end I programmed the cap+ as three conventional DMR repeaters with "TGID skip" to monitor. The TIII I can't as there is too many talkgroups in use on the system as it's so large.

It's not the main system I wanted to monitor, so not really that painful for me, I guess I'll have to add a uniden to my collection at some point if Whistler don't sort out it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.