TRX-2: Whistler TRX-2 Audio Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepper33

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a TRX-2 from Scanner Master about at month ago. P25, NXDN, DMR, Analog all working just fine, all of a sudden no digital formats will receive properly, it shows all information on display but all I get is a hammering noise. I have not had any settings changed that i am aware of, analog audio works just fine

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
I would try and return it for a replacement to Scanner Master. Maybe defective unit. I would also suggest try updating the firmware to the latest version if there is a newer one available. Sometimes this fixes issues but this almost sounds like the unit could possibly be defective if you haven’t messed with the settings. You could also try restoring the settings. Make sure it also has a full charge on it. If it makes you feel better I have had my TRX-1 for many years without any defect issues. It’s built like a tank!

TAbirdman

Sounds more like programming or a corrupt file on the SD card. Reformatting and reloading your programming might fix it.

hhall2260

Premium Subscriber
I have a local sheriffs office that deep sixed its PM 1500 Motos & UHF Crossband HTs Extender to Kenwood Mobiles & In-band HTs Extenders on a high 173 VHF frequency on NXDN. The audio from the TRX-2 sucks and it often fails to record more than a second or two on play back, I hate listening to all the traffic on the analog linked frequencies by the time I get up in the morning to review recordings I have got 1000+ to review to see if anything bad went down. Most of it is BS traffic stops with verbal warnings, area checks, and stray dogs. So I figured if they get out near my home on a 5 watt HT I could see if the drugged up thief neighbors go arrested or taken to the hospital again. They are using a single channel but the audio again from the TRX-2 sucks. Have it on NXDN on a wild card setting with a RAN of any, any advice would be welcomed!

Ubbe

any advice would be welcomed!
Do a test and set the VHF channel to only receive analog and record it. Then listen to what you are receiving. If the signal fades and you do not hear the datasignal or the SQ close then it's nothing to be done as the transmission occur too far away and you will need a better antenna. But if you only want to receive transmissions in your own block it should be a good enough signal.

How are their extenders configured? It's the same VHF frequency used both for receive and transmit to the HT? If it's only the HT heard you will have to set the scanner stationary to that VHF frequency. If dispatch are retransmitted out on the VHF channel then it can be scanned as normal but try a longer delay time for the wildcard TG as it will drop the carrier immediately to let the HT answer on that simplex frequency.

/Ubbe

hhall2260

Premium Subscriber
Well yes I had the scan delay on 5 seconds but moved to to 3 seconds today, and yes the dispatch is on the same channel in the simplex mode and I have the mode set to RAN:* tg:* as I have heard DMR on ham radio sound better than this NXDN

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Well yes I had the scan delay on 5 seconds but moved to to 3 seconds today, and yes the dispatch is on the same channel in the simplex mode and I have the mode set to RAN:* tg:* as I have heard DMR on ham radio sound better than this NXDN
Just my personal settings of course, but I did extensive experimentation with my NXDN receive audio. These are my settings. Jot down or take a screen shot of your settings first, then try these-

Attachments

• 777.jpg
    777.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 63

Ubbe

All digital systems sound pretty much the same using the same audio source. What matters are how the system admins have set up the systems audio in the whole chain. The mic gain, compression, agc, noise reduction, in both dispatch and mobile/handheld. It's too often that it's misconfigured for one reason or the other. They might be using the wrong mic type or speak too close to the mic than what are recommended or the audio goes thru several patches between different system types, or are feed to an extender, in clean analog audio and not in digital mode.

/Ubbe

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
I'm attaching a guide published some time ago that has helped me a lot.
My settings were :
DSP 54
ADC -2
DAC -4

Attachments

• ADC DAC.jpg
    ADC DAC.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 67
  • DSP Settings.jpg
    DSP Settings.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 55

hhall2260

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again the regular audio on analog got better but the nxdn is still not good a little better my next issue is the scan speed on this sucker often set the delay to 5 seconds on the busy channels but often miss conversations any recommendation on PRI or any adjustment on scan speed on this thing. My HT Uniden 175xt kicks it ass on not missing traffic???

Status
Not open for further replies.