Whistler TRX

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
So I'm debating getting one of the TRX radios. I already have a Uniden 436HP and I like it but I'm wondering if the TRX performs any better on our CT systems. Is anyone using one and if so what's your experience been like with the radio? I went out and got the 996P2 because of CSERN but considering it's mostly used by the buses, that was a big let down. I just don't want to dump the money out again and get nothing for it. Know what I mean? My DV! picks up all kinds of stuff but obviously it's not portable.

So anyone using one of these please let me know so I know whether to make the jump or not

Thanks

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
i thought the whole reason they went to 700 was to go Phase 2 - go figure. No wonder I still hear everything fine

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
gotcha, I automatically thought since the new system was phase 2 I was hearing phase 2. When/If Phase 2 goes active will there be any indication on the radio that it's a Phase 2 system instead of P25 or will we still see the same on the display?

On another note, With the Whistler TRX portable does anyone know if the SD card design is better than what I have on the 436? This is another reason I am looking at the radio. Every once in awhile when I change the batteries in the 436, the SD card will slide and then when I turn the radio on I see SD card error and have to open the radio up push the door down and slide it closed again. It's not just that it's irritating it's moreso that I'm afraid that one of these days I'm going to lose the SD card.

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
gotcha, I automatically thought since the new system was phase 2 I was hearing phase 2. When/If Phase 2 goes active will there be any indication on the radio that it's a Phase 2 system instead of P25 or will we still see the same on the display?
/QUOTE]

The top line of the display should show "D2" when receiving a phase II talkgroup. BTW Phase II is P25 FYI.
A little texting lingo LOL.

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
/QUOTE]

The top line of the display should show "D2" when receiving a phase II talkgroup. BTW Phase II is P25 FYI.
A little texting lingo LOL.

Correction: That answer applies to the Whistler phase II scanners not Uniden.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Whistler TRX?

To answer one of your questions... The Whistler's have better MicroSD card set-ups. It's a big reason why I chose the WS1080 over the Unidens. I saw some guy fiddling with trying to change it on Youtube for the Unidens. I decided I'm not going to piss with some little metal door and I also didn't like their display. I knew I'd end up breaking such a fragile looking thing. I think the TRX series has the same type of slot as the prior scanners. It pushes into a slot and clicks into place on the side of the scanner on the hand-helds. They won't fall out

Last edited by a moderator:

APX7500X2

The new system will be Phase II eventually but I think you will have a good 18-24 months before the entire thing goes, You will start seeing Phase II talk groups pop up as more of the system becomes capable.....Their have been Phase II talk groups on the UASI system in Fairfield county once or twice for testing.
Once all the new 800 sites are running on line next to the old stuff things will start to change

Status
Not open for further replies.