Whistler TRX2 Setup help

Fireemerge911

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to program a Whistler TRX2 scanner using a download database from radio reference on a Motorola P25 Phase 2 system. I get small amounts of traffic and then sometimes don't hear things for hours. Is there anyone that could maybe help or point me in the right direction?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Will you please share the system and department you are trying to listen to? Also I assume you are programming it using EZ Scan database which you have updated, since RR doesn't directly import into the scanner.

Fireemerge911

Premium Subscriber
Sure. It's the Memphis and Shelby County Public Safety (P25) system. I did an update on the database last night. But using the software I don't know if I have all the settings correct or if the download sets those items correctly.

TAbirdman

Lets figure out if the OP has it programmed correctly first. Yes Simulcast can cause issues but if the OP is on the out skirts of the towers he may get it fine. As others have noted "Location, Location, location"

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@Fireemerge911 Follow the steps in this guide, they will show you how to properly program the scanner. If the steps in the guide attached below do not work then we can look at other issues that may be causing the problems.

Attachments

• Programming TRX-1.pdf
    533.7 KB · Views: 35

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am trying to program a Whistler TRX2 scanner using a download database from radio reference on a Motorola P25 Phase 2 system. I get small amounts of traffic and then sometimes don't hear things for hours. Is there anyone that could maybe help or point me in the right direction?
If you attach your configuration (archive) file, we can take a look at it to check for problems. Click on Attach files and open the file.

Fireemerge911

Premium Subscriber
If you attach your configuration (archive) file, we can take a look at it to check for problems. Click on Attach files and open the file.
Haven't had much time to play with this. But this is my config file. Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Attachments

• CDAT_2023-04-21_01-21.zip
    252.2 KB · Views: 11

tvengr

Well Known Member
Sure. It's the Memphis and Shelby County Public Safety (P25) system.
The only trunked system in your file is for Denton Co TX. The Memphis/Shelby County system does not exist. Click on the Trunked Radio Systems tab in TRX-2 EZ-Scan software to take a look.

Last edited:

Swipesy

The only trunked system in your file is for Denton Co TX. The Memphis/Shelby County system does not exist. Click on the Trunked Radio Systems tab in TRX-2 EZ-Scan software to take a look.
TVengr I think you are confused as to who you are helping. The attached shows you what is in Fireemerge911 TRx Config!

Attachments

• memphis.jpg
    memphis.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 13

TAbirdman

Took a look at the programming and noticed a few things: 1) Updating the programming showed 4 systems and 8 sites were updated, 2) Turn off Scan SET 02 and 03, not needed as Scan set 01 covers ALL scan lists