Whistler TRX2 - using abroad?

pearlrivers

Premium Subscriber
Hey there, I am based in London (UK). I purchased my TRX2 from Moonraker and have been using it successfully in the UK for some time now. I am soon going to be moving to Berlin (Germany). I noticed the TRX2 is only compatible in UK and USA.....is this true?
Is there a way to make it compatible in Germany?
Many thanks!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick search of GOOGLE turned up this.

Is it legal to listen to police radio in Germany?

Eavesdropping on police radio is illegal in most countries, including Germany. Police radio uses encrypted digital transmission standards such as TETRA to ensure the security of communication. Unauthorized access to this communication constitutes a violation of legal regulations and may result in penalties.

G7HID

Hey there, I am based in London (UK). I purchased my TRX2 from Moonraker and have been using it successfully in the UK for some time now. I am soon going to be moving to Berlin (Germany). I noticed the TRX2 is only compatible in UK and USA.....is this true?
Is there a way to make it compatible in Germany?
Many thanks!
It should be compatible in most countries, it is only their bandplans that differ..

pearlrivers

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick search of GOOGLE turned up this.

Is it legal to listen to police radio in Germany?

Eavesdropping on police radio is illegal in most countries, including Germany. Police radio uses encrypted digital transmission standards such as TETRA to ensure the security of communication. Unauthorized access to this communication constitutes a violation of legal regulations and may result in penalties.

I'm not interested in listening in on Police radio - I was aware that would be encrypted...

Kiniutech

Past login as: questnz
Premium Subscriber
Can you upload Whistler TRX-2E firmware to your scanner, then select Germany as your Band Plan?
TRX-1E and TRX-2E EZ Scan and FW update available

Main differences between North American and Non-North American Versions:
Note: This version of software will install TRX-1e firmware into any TRX-1 scanner. This firmware changes
many aspects of the scanner's operation to be more in line with the supported countries.
Switching between the North American version of firmware and the Non-North American version of
firmware will change the following items:
 Due to file format changes to support the various search functions outside the United States and
Canada, many global configuration options will be reset to their default values.
 The United States and Canada bandplans will be removed from the scanner and PC App.
 Bandplans for the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, France, and South Africa will be
available in the scanner and the PC App. Note that these bandplans will not include frequencies
prohibited by U.S. Law.
 All library and Location set options will be removed from the scanner and PC App.
 Weather radio functions will be removed from the scanner and PC App. The WX button will act as
a quick access button for a preset search function defined by the user.
 Search services available in the scanner and PC App will change based on the country bandplan
selected.
Side Note: Any TRX-1E or TRX-2E can be changed back to a TRX-1 or TRX-2 respectively by using the Non E
version PC apps and running the CPU update or by manually applying the appropriate CPUUpdater file
independent of updating the PC app. Once the unit is reverted to the Non E version, the original PC apps
must be used with the product. Due to file format changes to support the various search functions within
the United States and Canada, many global configuration options will be reset to their default values.

https://www.sharman-multicom.co.uk/eu/amfile/file/download/file/216/product/3543/

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If you would have read both links you would seen this.
The police in Germany are 100% digital encrypted using Tetra. It is also illegal in Germany to listen to anything except aircraft frequencies and ham radio.

Kiniutech

Past login as: questnz
Premium Subscriber
Yes of course I read whole thread. But is you read the details he also said

"I'm not interested in listening in on Police radio - I was aware that would be encrypted..."

There are plenty other services he can legally listen in Europe