Whistler vs Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

np4r

Hi , I have a Whistler trx-1 with outside antenna (disconne) im not to happy with reception and Iam thinking about changing to a base Scanner Uniden BCD536HP . This would be a positive change ? Please let me know what you think , Thanks !

DJ11DLN

Need more info. What bands are of interest to you? How distant are the transmitters? Could the TRX-1 just be getting overloaded? They will do this if you have a lot of strong RF coming down the feedline. Another question is do you have LSM Simulcast? The SDS series and the Unication pagers are going to be a better choice if you have LSM.

np4r

i usually monitor a P25 800mhz police system that is located about 3 miles from here , same location as other system and i can not received it with the trx1 , also i like to listen the air band and some uhf/vhf.

Need more info. What bands are of interest to you? How distant are the transmitters? Could

DJ11DLN

How does the P25 system come in on just a rubber duck antenna? If it's that close, I'm guessing that you are overloading the scanner's front end by feeding it from the discone up in the air. With a system that close, and considering your other interests, it may not be as simple as switching scanners; you may end up with another scanner for the air band and UHF/VHF, and need to use a band-stop filter to keep the 800 MHz out of it. Do you have any FM broadcast stations fairly close? if so, an FM trap may also be helpful.

Bob1955

Hi , I have a Whistler trx-1 with outside antenna (disconne) im not to happy with reception and Iam thinking about changing to a base Scanner Uniden BCD536HP . This would be a positive change ? Please let me know what you think , Thanks !
np4r- Uniden Bearcat is the #1 GLOBAL leader in scanner technology. Nobody else can touch them. I've heard rumors that Whistler MAY be exiting the scanner industry as "whistler Wendy" has disappeared on here. I also know many outfits have stopped carrying them. Personally, I don't feel that the 536HP is worth its current price tag. It had REPORTED display problems in the past, it does have zip code programing but that SD card that "can" be a problem. If I were you, I would purchase a Uniden Bearcat BCD-996P2 from Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland. They ship ALL digital scanners free and no sales tax. You can look at their video's on YouTube made by Paul there. (Not the late Paul Opitz from Uniden)
and their number is877-568-7226 and Melissa is also good too. Tell her/him if you are using digital/simulcasting or whatever. If your police/fire are simulacasted/ trunking, then the SDS-200 may be your only choice.
Hope this helps you out.

marksmith

If the P25 site is 3 miles away and you are having trouble with that radio, you would likely have the same trouble with the 536.
Its likely it is a simulcast system. No scanner other than the SDS100 and SDS200 are built to receive simulcast. They are both expensive scanners, but they are worlds better than the 536 for not a lot more money. If you are considering the 536, I would go to the SDS200 for the difference in the radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.