Whistler WS-1040 External Power Options. Max tested design voltage for the external dc input circuits in the Whistler WS-1040?

kevinspage

Hi!
What is the max tested design voltage for the external dc input circuits in the Whistler WS-1040?
The used WS-1040 I purchased came with a 12v ac adapter.
Specifications call for 9vdc regulated 400ma.
I see many ads for compatible ac adapters listed for the WS-1040 that are 12vdc output.
I want to run in vehicle off 12vdc, I'd rather not have to run conversion circuits 12v-9v in the mix.
Is 12v to 9v conversion necessary. Or will scanner run fine on 12vdc?
I'm running NIMH batteries in the yellow carrier.
Currently working fine with a 12vdc 1.25A ac wall adapter.
Thanks!
~Kevin.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Currently working fine with a 12vdc 1.25A ac wall adapter.
Unplug the 12v adapter now before you damage the scanner. Connecting the scanner to the 12v in your vehicle is even worse. The voltage normally runs close to 14v to charge the battery when the vehicle is running. Get the proper 9v adapter. Pay close attention that the polarity of the plug is correct. Use a 9v adapter in your vehicle also.

kevinspage

Unplug the 12v adapter now before you damage the scanner. Connecting the scanner to the 12v in your vehicle is even worse. The voltage normally runs close to 14v to charge the battery when the vehicle is running. Get the proper 9v adapter. Pay close attention that the polarity of the plug is correct. Use a 9v adapter in your vehicle also.
I understand 9v is what the specifications calls for and vehicles run at 13.8v. Is the radio not reverse polarity protected with a diode? Have you reviewed the radios circuity for external power? What are you basing your information on? Thanks!

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am sure the radio has an internal voltage regulator circuit. If you run the scanner on high voltage, the components in the regulator circuit most likely will overheat and fail in time. Does your power supply have a fuse? If it doesn't and the wrong polarity is applied it will probably burn open foils on the circuit board.

kevinspage

I am sure the radio has an internal voltage regulator circuit. If you run the scanner on high voltage, the components in the regulator circuit most likely will overheat and fail in time. Does your power supply have a fuse? If it doesn't and the wrong polarity is applied it will probably burn open foils on the circuit board.
Most devices have a diode protecting polarity. Reverse polarity produces NO CURRENT.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Running anything at maximum voltage is not a desirable situation. Protection against reverse voltage is not related to over voltage. I have both AC and DC (car) powered supplies for my radios and both have a switch that lets me choose the output voltage. What is your hesitation to use a device that drops the voltage and what do you gain with a higher voltage?

wtp

Operating Voltage ...................................................... 6 VDC (4 AA alkaline, Ni-Cd, or Ni-MH)
External Power and Charge Voltage ............ 9 VDC 400 mA regulated power supply

and that is from their manual.
hook up a voltmeter and then send them the max voltage that you find and send them a voltage for "smoke detected" at XX.X volts.
they can then add it to the manual.

kevinspage

I'm simply looking for someone who has studied the circuit diagrams for the WS-1040 and can tell me what the design min and max input voltage parameters are. It seems there are lots of opinions and assumptions but little fact in the reply's I'm given. Why would a radio manufacturer put a diode across the input to blow the fuse of an external power source when other circuitry exists to simply not allow reverse current. I'm sure some devices use a shunt diode to blow fuses but I'm 99% positive there is not this arraignment in a WS-1040. Designing external power circuits for devices involves understanding human nature. Humans will apply reverse and over voltage. Good engineering designs for it.

kevinspage

Operating Voltage ...................................................... 6 VDC (4 AA alkaline, Ni-Cd, or Ni-MH)
External Power and Charge Voltage ............ 9 VDC 400 mA regulated power supply

and that is from their manual.
hook up a voltmeter and then send them the max voltage that you find and send them a voltage for "smoke detected" at XX.X volts.
they can then add it to the manual.
Thanks that's very helpful!!

Last edited:

kevinspage

If anyone is buying AC power adapters off Amazon for a WS-1040 be aware that many of them are 12v not 9v. Some have the voltage blurred or covered by cable in the photos. I purchased a genuine Whistler branded AC adapter and a 9v car adapter. Thanks! ~Kevin.

Last edited:

wtp

about a short to a power supply, you might contact them.
i have an old (over 10 years) car charger that if you short the wires together.
OK i went to the garage and found the box.
schumacher sc-12000a
it has a date of 2006
so it has been around a bit.
it does not spark when i plug it in and then connect the terminals.
it does not short out if i hit the connectors together and powered on.
and i don't know if the power supplies that are around today if they have something like that.

kevinspage

Running anything at maximum voltage is not a desirable situation. Protection against reverse voltage is not related to over voltage. I have both AC and DC (car) powered supplies for my radios and both have a switch that lets me choose the output voltage. What is your hesitation to use a device that drops the voltage and what do you gain with a higher voltage?
The advantage would be simplicity and reliability. If the scanners is designed to work with up to 20vdc for example an extra converter is not needed between the car dc and the radio. In my experience the fewer links in the chain the fewer things to fail. I've has quite a few voltage adapters fail. Higher dc voltage can also mean less current and cooler running. But the circuitry in the radio must be designed to handle it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
A simple USB car charger provides 5 volts and would be safe with the 106. I wouldn't use a dollar store brand, but a better quality (higher cost) should work. Most newer cars have USB ports that also can be used.

tvengr

Well Known Member
A simple USB car charger provides 5 volts and would be safe with the 106. I wouldn't use a dollar store brand, but a better quality (higher cost) should work. Most newer cars have USB ports that also can be used.
The manual specifies 9 volts for external power. From the manual:

External Power

To power the scanner and recharge batteries, you must use a 9VDC adapter of at least 400 mA with the inner tip set to positive. Connect the plug into the scanner’s PWR DC 9V jack. Then connect the AC adapter to a standard AC outlet. Always connect the AC adapter to the scanner before you connect it to AC power.

You can power the scanner from a vehicle’s 12V power source using a 9VDC at least 400mA adapter with 4.75mm outer/1.7mm inner plug (not included). Its center tip must be set to positive and its plug must fit the scanner’s PWR DC 9V jack.

Reactions: wtp