Whistler WS-1095 Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping the detachable faceplate starts a new trend for both companies. Ham radios have been so much easier to install than scanners.

Uniden has the remote head with multiple scanners models using the RH-96. They have had this for many years.

Uniden Bearcat BC-RH96 Remote Head | ScannerMaster.com

They are abandoning this idea and are working towards controlling the scanner using a Smartphone, iPod, iPad, etc. This all depends on them ever releasing the software for the smart devices, and firmware for the BCD536HP and WiFi adapter. I personally would rather mount an iPod or iPad in the car to control the scanner, and then I could also use the smart device for other things like GPS/maps, music, note taking, recording, etc.

Boatanchor

Uniden has the remote head with multiple scanners models using the RH-96. They have had this for many years.

Uniden Bearcat BC-RH96 Remote Head | ScannerMaster.com

They are abandoning this idea and are working towards controlling the scanner using a Smartphone, iPod, iPad, etc. This all depends on them ever releasing the software for the smart devices, and firmware for the BCD536HP and WiFi adapter. I personally would rather mount an iPod or iPad in the car to control the scanner, and then I could also use the smart device for other things like GPS/maps, music, note taking, recording, etc.

Good luck with that :)

To me, that concept doesn't even sound good in theory, let alone in practice.

I agree, we desperately need a remote head/controller version of a mobile scanner, but give me the KISS principle every time over unreliable networking/wifi/bluetooth crap that requires apps, swipes and taps to operate.

If you are going to run a scanner in the vehicle, you need to be able to operate it safely without looking at the display, be able to turn the volume up or down with a simple rotary control or even dedicated push buttons and activate or deactivate groups with the push of a button.

Can you imagine trying to share an IPod between a scanner, GPS & media etc at the same time?
It would be a recipe for disaster - literally!

I'm quite happy to run an RJ45 style cable between the scanner and the control head as long as it works reliably. One problem is that scanner manufactures seem to be stuck in this ideology that mobile/base scanners have to be DIN sized. In reality, few people ever go to the trouble of mounting their scanner into the dash of their car and cars increasingly do not have a spare DIN slot anyway. DIN sized scanners are becoming increasingly irrelevant.

The BC-RH96 was a flop from the start because you couldn't turn the radio on or off from the control head and the unit was the same DIN size as the scanner. In other words, if you had room to mount the RH96, you most likely had room to mount the x96 (depth being the only consideration)..

scottyhetzel

The remote head is mounted in most emergency vehicles, keeping the main unit in the trunk. Most of the public buys portables while govt, entities purchase desk top per upman on another post.

I agree about not having knobs on i-devices. However having a mini iPad as a display would be nice and inexpensive. Ram makes some awesome mounts. Having the main unit in the trunk is also a theft deferent too. Having the android in my office while my vehicle is 20 feet away would be cool concept for listening. Programming remotely is another possibility too.

N8IAA

Wow! What an idea. Make the scanner the size of a Samsung S4/5, use a USB cable/Blue tooth to a control head that can turn the scanner on/off and control what Scanlist/QK, etc. Li-ion battery for long life. And add an extra SD card for recording, etc..
Wait, I just woke up from a dream:(
Larry

DJ11DLN

I have one of those. As Boatanchor says, it's not really a fully integrated solution.

Not to mention it being a cost-added secondary purchase, instead of included in the basic package, as I understand will be the case with the 1095.;)

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Which is why

it's going to be an $800 radio!

And if that's the case, it sure better include all the accessories needed and have the ability to do everything the consumer would want.

DJ11DLN

it's going to be an $800 radio!

Maybe. Remember how wildly pre-delivery prices for the Pro-651/652/WS-1040/1065 bounced around, and how high they were variously advertised? And now they're lined up fairly competitively with the X96xt series, which is where IMHO they need to be. I'd expect much the same for the 1080/1095, i.e. we won't know the actual price until they start to filter out into the market...and they're not even confirmed as type-accepted yet.

I personally am not gonna get my panties in a bunch until I know the price, and not just conjecture. I think a lot of the overpriced advertising is just retailers trying to make a quick buck on people anxious to pre-order; caveat emptor, always and everywhere. And Whistler isn't dumb, they know that if they're going to be competitive, they need to do it either with innovation/features or pricing. So it is still just a waiting game. A guess: If the 536hp wireless problems persist, the 1095 gets to sell for a bit more; if they're fixed, the 1095 gets a cut in price to slide in under the 536 tag, making it a more attractive option...but at this point it's still anybody's guess. Speculation here is fun but in the end all we can really do is sit back and wait for the reality check.:lol:

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I don't know how much those prices jumped around.

I knew I wouldn't be getting one until it was time-tested so I only saw prices on occasion.

I don't recall where I saw the $800 price for this 1095 but I'm certainly hoping it's incorrect.

As I've said before, I'd like to get the new 1095 and the 536 but unless I see some good reviews it's going to be hard to justify it. Of course if the price is right I'll get it anyway! ;)

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Actually, I don't know how much those prices jumped around.

I knew I wouldn't be getting one until it was time-tested so I only saw prices on occasion.

I don't recall where I saw the $800 price for this 1095 but I'm certainly hoping it's incorrect.

As I've said before, I'd like to get the new 1095 and the 536 but unless I see some good reviews it's going to be hard to justify it. Of course if the price is right I'll get it anyway! ;)

I think between the 600 to 700 dollar price range seems reasonable. I guarantee that Uniden is watching to see what happens. This month will be a chess game and both companies will be sword fighting to have the upper edge. Having the detachable face is going to be a great selling feature

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
No more watching than whistler is doing.

Am I to assume that "detachable face plate" is different than "remote head"?

A detachable face plate certainly isn't worth another couple hundred bucks!

garys

Premium Subscriber
I agree about not having knobs on i-devices. However having a mini iPad as a display would be nice and inexpensive. Ram makes some awesome mounts. Having the main unit in the trunk is also a theft deferent too. Having the android in my office while my vehicle is 20 feet away would be cool concept for listening. Programming remotely is another possibility too.

I agree with this. Not to cross brands, but when the Siren App comes out for the 536HP, I plan to find a cheap tablet and use that for the display. For my aging eyes the display on the 536HP is to small. If Whistler sticks with the same display that is used for the PSR800 replacement for this scanner, it will be even worse.

I'll continue to use the physical controls on the scanner itself, since I can reach down and find them with minimal distraction from driving.

Keep in mind that remote heads for public safety radios got their start back when the T/R units weighed 20 or more pounds and were huge. Now, it's a convenience more than anything else. For Ham radios, it the advantage is that it takes up less real estate on or near the dash. Either way, scanners should have the same capabilities as far as remoting the head goes.

The RH96 was a just OK attempt at this. I've had two and they are better than nothing, especially for portable scanners, but they are far less than optimal.

DJ11DLN

Keep in mind that remote heads for public safety radios got their start back when the T/R units weighed 20 or more pounds and were huge. Now, it's a convenience more than anything else. For Ham radios, it the advantage is that it takes up less real estate on or near the dash. Either way, scanners should have the same capabilities as far as remoting the head goes.

True in part...with today's vehicles being such a cramped expanse of flimsy plastic panels inside, mounting even a small radio can get difficult. Some kind of remote head or wireless a la the 536 hp, when they get it working, is a huge selling point. I'm sure you miss the days when every car/pickup had that sturdy steel rail along the bottom of the dash as much as I do!;)

RadioDaze

Am I to assume that "detachable face plate" is different than "remote head"?

A detachable face plate certainly isn't worth another couple hundred bucks!

That's a reasonable statement, when thinking about the stereos that have a removable face plate to deter theft. Maybe we should call it a "detachable remote head".

Status
Not open for further replies.