Whistler WS1040 Digital Handheld Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSDeputy

I am interested in a new portable scanner. The county I worked for just started using their new $ 19 million dollar Motorola digital system. It has all county agencies on it, plus all rural fire districts, and two small town police departments. Though capable of encryption, Sheriff Jones said no dispatch channels will be encrypted. I am anxious to buy a portable capable of receiving this and adjacent county systems. I bought the Uniden scanner but sent it back after reading reviews here. Now I am waiting on a Whistler scanner to be available, then wait more while it is evaluated here. I want the best scanner. Wish they would hurry up.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Now I am waiting on a Whistler scanner to be available, then wait more while it is evaluated here. I want the best scanner. Wish they would hurry up.

You could probably get a head start by reading through the reviews of the RadioShack Pro-106 and GRE PSR-500 if you haven't done so already. So far it would appear that the Whistler WS1040 very closely related (if not a direct clone) of those two scanners, and they do have a fair amount of review. If the initial reviews for the WS1040 say they are the same, then you'll already know what to expect.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Hi. You said you sent your Uniden scanner back AFTER reading the reviews here. Did you ever really give the Uniden a chance to work for you? Just curious, but what Uniden scanner was it ?

If the new Whistler is like the Radio Shack 106, it will be a good scanner. The Pro 106 is somewhat difficult to program manually, but with some Butel Software it is a breeze.

Like Spitfire said, consider reading the info available for the Pro 106.

Greg

IowaGuy1603

I am interested in a new portable scanner. The county I worked for just started using their new $ 19 million dollar Motorola digital system. It has all county agencies on it, plus all rural fire districts, and two small town police departments. Though capable of encryption, Sheriff Jones said no dispatch channels will be encrypted. I am anxious to buy a portable capable of receiving this and adjacent county systems. I bought the Uniden scanner but sent it back after reading reviews here. Now I am waiting on a Whistler scanner to be available, then wait more while it is evaluated here. I want the best scanner. Wish they would hurry up.

I have 2 PSR 800's that I use both at home and at work. I bought the 800's specifically for their portability between vehicles and home

In vehicles I use an antenna extender or a simple outside scanner antenna and a USB jack plugged into 12v power.

Whistler is going to have a 800 clone, but you can still buy 800's used especially since a lot of people have problems with them and/or the systems they monitor are hard to monitor.

I use my scanners when traveling statewide (and to adjacent states) as a prisoner transport officer for a Sheriff's Office. I simply download the counties/cities/areas that I want to travel to in a scan list and way I go. Right now I have about 50% of the state loaded on the chip (I also carry a back up chip in my go bag in case the scanner burps and looses programing.)

dgmaley

PSR-800

Universal Radio does still show a PSR-800 available:
UL04 GRE PSR800 DIGITAL TRUNKING SCANNER USB CABLE & WALLCHRG 199.95 FAIR S/N 001688

Just in case it hasn't been noticed. The case may not look the best, but the price is right.

You may end up waiting to the end of the year, the rate whistler is moving. The PSR-800 may be a better option.

BTW.....
Considering that your passengers are most likely not riding in the front passenger seat, have you found a way to mount a PSR-800 in a vehicle such that the screen and keyboard are easily used?
Dave..

IowaGuy1603

BTW.....
Considering that your passengers are most likely not riding in the front passenger seat, have you found a way to mount a PSR-800 in a vehicle such that the screen and keyboard are easily used?
Dave..

I have it in a phone case.....jerry rigged hanging off my Toughbook handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.