Whistler WS1040 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRFD121

Newbie here and I have a lot of questions, the first one I bought a Whistler 1040 now what.
Is there any easy way to program fire department talk groups, and how do I find the info?

I live in Anoka County Minnesota.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Short answer: Yes.

The Minnesota ARMER system is pretty complicated to program. It consists of several sites all working together to provide a good communications network.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Whistler line of scanners, however I'm sure if you looked at Youtube, you might find some videos to help you.

Generally speaking refer to this page for the data applicable to the ARMER system:Allied Radio Matrix for Emergency Response (ARMER) Trunking System, Various, Minnesota - Scanner Frequencies

For the site, you'll want to program the Anoke Co Simulcast. For talkgroups you want to scroll down to the Anoka County Talkgroups and program those of interest to you. I also recommend programming all the Zone 1 Interoperability talkgroups, particularly METCOM (lots of good stuff there) as well as the Statewide Interoperability talkgroups.

That would be the basic stuff for your area. As time goes along, you might want to spread your wings and try Hennepin County stuff and perhaps even Minneapolis, though you might be a little far out from Minneapolis. Should you do so, since principles apply choose the county site(s) and county talkgroups.

From experience: programming a new scanner on a complex system (and ARMER is as complex as they get), is challenging for anyone, especially a newbie. So be prepared for things not going prefectly at first - give yourself permission to make mistakes. Be patient and you'll get there.

(FWIW, I have some good friends up that-away and always get confused by 107th Lane and 107th Avenue. I suspect you are on the FD there and got that area figured out. So you should be able to work through the scanner OK:p)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Another thought. Most folks use computer software to program their scanners, which makes like easier. Going one step farther, they becomen RR premium subscribers. With these two things together, your software can access the RR database and download everything you need to program your scanner. Significantly reduces the chances of input error.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
CRFD this article from our wiki (anything that's blue is a link) contains links to just about everything you'll need to get started. Of particular notice, there's an Easier to Read manual for this radio (the WS1040 is really a GRE PSR-500 in another case) as well as user guides for 2 of the 3 popular programming packages for this radio...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.