Whistler WS1040 Programming Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffer8090

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I have my account set up with RadioReference. I have Key Code. I have my WS1040 connected to my computer. I can see the WS1040 on screen and can change key settings from the computer key board. I can download the RR Essex County frequency information. How to I transfer particular frequencies to my WS1040? Located in Gloucester.

puffer8090

Premium Subscriber
I am in Massachusetts. I'm not sure what software I'm using.
At this point I'm just going to return this to Amazon.
Simply not worth the frustration.
There should be a warning fixed to the box: "CAUTION! Difficult, if not impossible, to program."

tvengr

Well Known Member
The 1040 does not come with programming software. You have to purchase that separately. The software makes the programming much easier. You have a choice of ARC500, WIN500, or PSREdit500 for that scanner. Each has a free trial period if you download and install it. I have both ARC500 and WIN500. I see that you are a premium subscriber. If you are able to download from the Radio Reference database, you must already have programming software. If you look at the name on the icon on the desktop or the screen on your computer, you should be able to tell me what software you are using.

sopranosno1

Go to youtube.com type in ws1040 programming step by step, look for k4dps. He has step by step conventional, trunk system , talk group etc...

puffer8090

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the helpful replies. I did return the WS1040 and purchased a Uniden BCD436HP.
I'll let you know how it's working out. Again, thanks for the replies.

TAbirdman

Just FYI - the 1040 came with a "Start Here" guide that tells you on Step 3 what you need to program the unit. Whistler also has Step by step guides on their website for manually programming as well as guides for Win500 and PSREdit500. Easy :cool:

budevans

Thanks for the helpful replies. I did return the WS1040 and purchased a Uniden BCD436HP.
I'll let you know how it's working out. Again, thanks for the replies.

Hopefully you haven't jumped the gun. Using software like WIN500 or PSREdit makes programming the WS1040 very simple and straight forward.

The BCD436HP is a good scanner. But, if you haven't programmed a Uniden scanner before, you may find the various options a bit of a challenge at first.

Last edited:

Nasby

If you had trouble with the WS1040 you may be in for an ever bigger challenge with the 436.

Its a great scanner but to get it programmed and working to it's full potential takes a great deal of effort and time.

There's lots of good tutorials and info about the Uniden software. Its called Sentinel and its free to download. You could even start playing around with the software before the scanner arrives.

At any rate, good luck, don't give up. Stay safe!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
There are scanners you can "program" by just entering your zip code, but they are more expensive and you may end up monitoring more (or less) than you want to. I see the WS-1040 is presently out of stock at ScannerMaster, but they offer to do the programming for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.