Whistler WS1040....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
The User's Guide for the Pro-651 (Pro-106 clone) indicates that cloning is supported between the GRE PSR-500/600, RS Pro-106/197/651/652, and Whistler WS-1040/1065.

It's nice to see that one company acknowledges the existence of GRE and their digital scanners, unlike Scannermaster who want to rewrite history.

mainetrunk

I saw-- New Egg -- has it $404.00 now, wait til Thanksgiving, they'll have a 2fer sale.. Or buy 2 digitals, ( $299.00 ea. ) get 1 analog FREE. Theres gotta be an abundance of them made, they would advertise less than 1,000 available.. So, they probably put out 2,000,000.. Cost to build, $150.00, -guessing--, shipping to place of sale, now $200.00 each.. So, if xxxxxx get's it for $199.99, turn and flash it to see who is anxious enough to PAY the former price--600.00? Besides, who could ever take it serious--just a pro 106 remake... $$$--lower, or wait til XMAS, too bad they dont have a trial basis, I'd TEST that copycat

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I still don't understand why Whistler is still trying to re-invent the "wheel"?

I do say hands down they do have a great digital decode but at least add some features instead of painting over GRE's name and adding Whistler's name. And then on-top ask consumers to pay huge prices for older technology that has already been surpassed.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber

I do say hands down they do have a great digital decode but at least add some features instead of painting over GRE's name and adding Whistler's name. And then on-top ask consumers to pay huge prices for older technology that has already been surpassed.

On that same note one could ask why the previous generation of Uniden scanners hasn't seen a significant across the board price drop? We see some RadioShack clearance prices here and there, but for the most part it's still hovering around $400 for an NIB unit, so why should Whistler/RadioShack have a significant reduction in price for the same era radio?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Whistler purchased the IP rights to the GRE designed scanners because it's overall cheaper to build something that's already designed rather than putting in research & design time, money, and effort that will usually take several years. In this aspect, I would actually say Whistler is not at all trying to "reinvent the wheel" since they have basically stuck to the proven design of the current wheel. Reinventing the wheel would actually require effort to invent a product that exists (which can be seen as not being the case).

That being said, it's already been stated that the RadioShack tends to markup external products to ridiculous prices. The $400 dollar that 3rd party retailers are starting to put out there looks close to par with Uniden's BCD396/996XT P25 Phase I offerings. Keep in mind that a lot of these prices haven't even had a chance to be marked down due to retail competition since they haven't shipped yet.

SCPD

QRT
Whistler

They bought the whole GRE package meaning there was radios sitting without covers,so I would imagine,they had to get rid of those first.So they have new cases.They are a radar dectector company,so this is a new venture for them,cut em some slack.Probably prices will go down.
I myself am glad they are around,not my favorite radar detector,but GRE made a pretty dam good radio and Whistler will continue this ,as long as sales go good.From what i heard there are some GRE techs there,so the scanners after these will be even better.(meaning after the PSR800 and 900 look-alikes).I myself want a 900 or Whistlers equivalent.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well they must be selling these radios because Amazon is completely sold out on those models of radios. I would not mind buying one if the price was to drop. Those radios should be selling anywhere between 350.00 to 375.00 maybe. They are pretty much comparable to the Uniden BCD996XT and you can get good deals on those for about 325.00 to 375.00 depending on the selling for a new unit.

oracavon

Status
Not open for further replies.