Whistler WS1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancrook62

I have a Whistler WS1040 and uploaded the frequencies for my area and cannot get the trunked system to work. I get all the conventional channels. The local police are on P25 and they do not work. I have tried everything. Maybe time to buy a different scanner? HELP PLEASE

bob550

Premium Subscriber
We can help, but we'll need more information. Exactly what system are you trying to upload? A link to the RR database would be helpful. What software are you using to upload the system with?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I use the RS version of the 1040 on a simulcast system that is considered difficult and the results are very satisfactory. I would look for a connection or programming issue. If you are using a cable that came with the short extension, do not use the extension. Make sure you have the correct driver for your version of Windows. Windows 10 should automatically install the correct driver

budevans

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=232#cid-954
There has to be some sort of setting I am missing
Based on your link, I see that there are two P25 systems in Stanislaus County. Stanislaus P25 and Turlock P25.
1. Which one are you trying to monitor?
2. How are you programming your scanner? Are you using a software program or are you programming by hand directly on the scanner?
If you are using a software program, what's it's name?
One quick note, for most P25 systems (Motorola) you only need to program the Control Channel, the Talk Groups and Wild Cards. But for some Harris P25 systems you need to program all of the frequencies.

Please respond to each of the questions above.

dancrook62

Based on your link, I see that there are two P25 systems in Stanislaus County. Stanislaus P25 and Turlock P25.
1. Which one are you trying to monitor?
2. How are you programming your scanner? Are you using a software program or are you programming by hand directly on the scanner?
If you are using a software program, what's it's name?
One quick note, for most P25 systems (Motorola) you only need to program the Control Channel, the Talk Groups and Wild Cards. But for some Harris P25 systems you need to program all of the frequencies.

Please respond to each of the questions above.
Thank you

Stanislaus P25
I am using the PSREdit500 software directly loading from Radio Reference

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I cleaned up all the of-topic posts so hopefully this can get back on track. :geek:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I use PSREdit500 for my RadioShack PRO-651, which is basically identical to the WS1040. When downloading from RR into PSREdit500, make sure to select the "talkgroup selection" tab on the import screen and check all talkgroups you're interested in. If you miss this step, you won't download any talkgroups and will hear nothing as a result.

dancrook62

I use PSREdit500 for my RadioShack PRO-651, which is basically identical to the WS1040. When downloading from RR into PSREdit500, make sure to select the "talkgroup selection" tab on the import screen and check all talkgroups you're interested in. If you miss this step, you won't download any talkgroups and will hear nothing as a result.
Hi Bob, so when you program a talk group do you have to program the talk group ID and the 800 mhz frequencies?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Provided you have made all the necessary selections on the PSREdit import screen, everything you need will be downloaded from RR including talkgroup IDs and the control channel frequencies. You won't need to program the voice frequencies, only the primary and alternate control channels. PSREdit selects that option for you by default. Your system only has one site and so that's automatically selected. Using the "import details" screen, open the "talkgroup configuration" tab to confirm all desired talkgroups are present.

dancrook62

Provided you have made all the necessary selections on the PSREdit import screen, everything you need will be downloaded from RR including talkgroup IDs and the control channel frequencies. You won't need to program the voice frequencies, only the primary and alternate control channels. PSREdit selects that option for you by default. Your system only has one site and so that's automatically selected. Using the "import details" screen, open the "talkgroup configuration" tab to confirm all desired talkgroups are present.
I have done just that. I am not sure what selections I have to make in order to make this work. I wished there were step by step instructions on how to do this exactly. I feel like I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. Should my Whistler WS1040 be able to pick up these P25 signals without issue? I do really appreciate your support. This is frustrating to me. I have tried to find more information on this issue but to no avail.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Judging by your monitoring location and the coverage of the Stanislaus Regional system, you should be well within their reception range. So unless you live in an underground bunker, you should be able to receive this system without trouble even with the original antenna.

Try starting with a clean PSREdit file before importing from RR. Anyway, here's your step-by-step instructions:
  1. Open PSREdit500 and select Import, Import Data from RadioReference.com, and Trunked Data.
  2. Enter your RR User Name, Password, and click on Query RR Web Service.
  3. Select United States, California, and Stanislaus County (check remember these).
  4. Drop down Trunked Radio System list to find Stanislaus Regional 911.
  5. Click on Transmitter Site Selection tab to confirm the one site listed is checked.
  6. Click on Talkgroup Selection tab and click on Select All to select all talkgroups (ensure All Agencies is displayed next to Agency Grp).
  7. Click Import System
  8. Check the desired Scan Lists you want to populate with this system (01 is checked by default).
  9. Open the Talkgroup Configuration tab to ensure that all desired talkgroups are present. Leave all else alone.
  10. Click on Complete the Import Using these Settings button.
  11. You should see a popup saying Imported 1 TSYS and 13 TGRP objects. Click OK.
  12. Open the Trunking Object tab and you will see all imported talkgroups.
  13. Click on the Edit button and you will be able to view the system settings as well as the one primary control channel. Leave everything alone here for now. Click Cancel to exit without making any changes.
  14. Connect your scanner and computer.
  15. Click on Radio, Upload to Radio, and Yes.
  16. You’re done.
  17. Or should be.
  18. Good Luck!
When beginning the process with a new file, uploading this system to the radio ensures all other programming will be erased. Remember to save your PSREdit file. Test this P25 system to verify reception. If all is good, now you can import and upload any conventional frequencies. Just remember that when doing so, start from the file you just created or you will erase the P25 system you just uploaded.

dancrook62

Judging by your monitoring location and the coverage of the Stanislaus Regional system, you should be well within their reception range. So unless you live in an underground bunker, you should be able to receive this system without trouble even with the original antenna.

Try starting with a clean PSREdit file before importing from RR. Anyway, here's your step-by-step instructions:
  1. Open PSREdit500 and select Import, Import Data from RadioReference.com, and Trunked Data.
  2. Enter your RR User Name, Password, and click on Query RR Web Service.
  3. Select United States, California, and Stanislaus County (check remember these).
  4. Drop down Trunked Radio System list to find Stanislaus Regional 911.
  5. Click on Transmitter Site Selection tab to confirm the one site listed is checked.
  6. Click on Talkgroup Selection tab and click on Select All to select all talkgroups (ensure All Agencies is displayed next to Agency Grp).
  7. Click Import System
  8. Check the desired Scan Lists you want to populate with this system (01 is checked by default).
  9. Open the Talkgroup Configuration tab to ensure that all desired talkgroups are present. Leave all else alone.
  10. Click on Complete the Import Using these Settings button.
  11. You should see a popup saying Imported 1 TSYS and 13 TGRP objects. Click OK.
  12. Open the Trunking Object tab and you will see all imported talkgroups.
  13. Click on the Edit button and you will be able to view the system settings as well as the one primary control channel. Leave everything alone here for now. Click Cancel to exit without making any changes.
  14. Connect your scanner and computer.
  15. Click on Radio, Upload to Radio, and Yes.
  16. You’re done.
  17. Or should be.
  18. Good Luck!
When beginning the process with a new file, uploading this system to the radio ensures all other programming will be erased. Remember to save your PSREdit file. Test this P25 system to verify reception. If all is good, now you can import and upload any conventional frequencies. Just remember that when doing so, start from the file you just created or you will erase the P25 system you just uploaded.

Hi there and thank you for your help. I have followed the steps exactly as you layed out. I started with a clean file. I now get a strong signal on the signal meter. I still the "T" for Trunked on the screen and cannot hear anything. Does the attenuation need to be set on anything special? The default for the download from RR comes up as Global.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
In this case, the Global flag being set has no immediate effect. If the attenuation was on, you'd see a uppercase "A" to the right of the "G". You could try setting global attenuation to see if this has any effect. If your Whistler is overloaded with strong signals it may actually desensitize the radio. Do you know how far you are from the transmitter? Other than this, make sure the squelch is adjusted as low as possible. It should be set no higher than the 9 o'clock position or a bit less than one quarter turn from off.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Dancrook62 I think your just fighting an unwinnable uphill battle with simulcast issues. Yes you can try the attenuator, in my helping a number of people locally, it really doesnt help hardly at all. Its really where you are in relation to the all the towers. A good test is to take your radio outside of the county, but still remain in range with a good signal say 2-3+ bars. Im sure you will find it will start working since you will be farther away from the influence of all the towers and only pulling in say 1-2 of them.
Thats what happens here, the whistlers work good on the two adjoining 4 tower simulcast counties since they are in another county, once they take them back to inside the county is when they will get strong signals from 3 and 4 towers, the radio stops working as the scanners cant handle it.

Not saying Im a fanboy of the Unidens, but they do work better in simulcast counties, the SDS radios work the best but you may not need to go that pricey.
Also besides that stanislaus link I provided above, https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/quick-question-ws1065.386765/ may want to reply there to ask how it is working for him since he purchased a 996P2. SInce you have a portable, the equivalent scanner to 996P2 is the 325P2. No reply since he said that, so no news is good news?

Also look at https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/ws1040-ws1065-vs-simulcast-800.381540/

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
To add to what @Ronaldski has said, the performance of my RS PRO-651 on my local P25 simulcast system is horrible, at least inside my metal-sided house. While it was passable connected to an outdoor antenna, or even one attached to my window, it was unlistenable using the supplied rubber duck, or even the vaunted RS 800 MHz antenna. My Uniden 536 outperformed the PRO-651 using the same antennas. My Unication G5, on the other hand, works perfectly right out of the box anywhere in my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.