whistler ws1065

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The WS1065 is not a zip code programmable scanner. Ceres police use a Motorola Type II Smartnet system, along with the Stanislaus Regional 911 Project 25 Phase I according to the database. Ceres fire appears to be using VHF frequencies. Through your programming software you should be able to import from Radio Reference database since you are a premium member.

DJ11DLN

ty for your fast reply im total new to this scanning experience.
Some unsolicited advice: Get the software for it, you can choose from Win500, ARC500, or PSREdit. They all have free trial periods before you have to buy. You're already a premium subscriber so you can download directly from the DB to the program. You can program it without software...but your life will be a whole lot easier if you get it.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Some unsolicited advice: Get the software for it, you can choose from Win500, ARC500, or PSREdit. They all have free trial periods before you have to buy. You're already a premium subscriber so you can download directly from the DB to the program. You can program it without software...but your life will be a whole lot easier if you get it.

Totally agree with you @DJ11DLN except for the Win500 suggestion, if he likes it he may not be able to get a key for it as many people have reported issues with purchasing it.

DJ11DLN

Totally agree with you @DJ11DLN except for the Win500 suggestion, if he likes it he may not be able to get a key for it as many people have reported issues with purchasing it.
Very true and thanks for bringing that up. I use Win500 myself and like it a lot, I've been pretty dismayed with the problems people are having with getting their keys after purchase lately.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
i purchased win500 and no issue with keys

Did you use the PayPal system at all, or credit card transaction without PayPal? From past posts, seems most of the problems have been with using PayPal.

DJ11DLN

Did you use the PayPal system at all, or credit card transaction without PayPal? From past posts, seems most of the problems have been with using PayPal.

I used PayPal but it's been some years back now. The problems seem to be over the last 18 (?) months or so.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I used PayPal but it's been some years back now. The problems seem to be over the last 18 (?) months or so.
Don's ( DonS - WIN500 ) last post on the forums was about 2 years ago (dated 7/31/2018). In that post he had addressed the problems folks were having with receiving their registration keys for WIN500 prior to that date.

That post indicates the problems at that time were only experienced by those using the PayPal system. Apparently there was a situation where his web hosting service was not auto-generating and sending out the keys when payments came in through Paypal. He stated that credit card transactions (that did not go through the PayPal system at all) were not affected and those people were getting their keys with no problems. His bottom line in that post was that the problems had been corrected at that time, and he seemed apologetic for the situation.

As I remember, all was well for a brief period, but shortly thereafter reports started coming in on the forums that folks were again having to file disputes with PayPay to get their payments refunded because keys were never issued. That issue seems to continue to the present time. DonS has logged in to the RR site as recently as 6 months ago, but has not posted since 7/31/2018, and was never heard from again to address the new registration problems, or any further communication at all.

It seemed, at least at one point, he was working with/for Whistler in this post here.

It appears that he has totally abandoned his products, emails, forum posts, customer support of any kind, and payment disputes. PayPay is again refunding those payments after a dispute is filed with their payment system... possibly indicating that he wasn't responding to them either.

His website is down again at the time of this post in real time, but can still be viewed on archival sites.

http://www.starrsoft.com

It has been very intermittent as of late. Best possible advice is to look elsewhere for software for the scanners that were supported by that program. Too bad really, the software was quite well liked and worked well.

That last post by DonS is here.

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

Don's ( DonS - WIN500 ) last post on the forums was about 2 years ago (dated 7/31/2018). In that post he had addressed the problems folks were having with receiving their registration keys for WIN500 prior to that date.

That post indicates the problems at that time were only experienced by those using the PayPal system. Apparently there was a situation where his web hosting service was not auto-generating and sending out the keys when payments came in through Paypal. He stated that credit card transactions (that did not go through the PayPal system at all) were not affected and those people were getting their keys with no problems. His bottom line in that post was that the problems had been corrected at that time, and he seemed apologetic for the situation.

As I remember, all was well for a brief period, but shortly thereafter reports started coming in on the forums that folks were again having to file disputes with PayPay to get their payments refunded because keys were never issued. That issue seems to continue to the present time. DonS has logged in to the RR site as recently as 6 months ago, but has not posted since 7/31/2018, and was never heard from again to address the new registration problems, or any further communication at all.

It seemed, at least at one point, he was working with/for Whistler in this post here.

It appears that he has totally abandoned his products, emails, forum posts, customer support of any kind, and payment disputes. PayPay is again refunding those payments after a dispute is filed with their payment system... possibly indicating that he wasn't responding to them either.

His website is down again at the time of this post in real time, but can still be viewed on archival sites.

http://www.starrsoft.com

It has been very intermittent as of late. Best possible advice is to look elsewhere for software for the scanners that were supported by that program. Too bad really, the software was quite well liked and worked well.

That last post by DonS is here.

Can't argue with your statements. As I said before, I am very dismayed with the current situation in re Starrrsoft and Win500. The fact that I got my keys in ca. 2014 in no way makes me any less sensitive to the frustration of those who have had problems getting keys in the last couple of years. Win500 is IMHO a good product...but any product is only as good as its support. And when the latter is lacking or nonexistent...well.

devildog1969

The WS1065 is not a zip code programmable scanner. Ceres police use a Motorola Type II Smartnet system, along with the Stanislaus Regional 911 Project 25 Phase I according to the database. Ceres fire appears to be using VHF frequencies. Through your programming software you should be able to import from Radio Reference database since you are a premium member.

ty for the lists. im not sure how to use them. as im new to scanning. i need a step by step quide on how to program.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ty for the lists. im not sure how to use them. as im new to scanning. i need a step by step quide on how to program.
Step by step instructions are in the Easier to Read Manual that doc linked in post 3
You use the RadioReference Database to look up the systems you're interested in programming.

Here is the "Easier to Read" manual for your scanner.

Other helpful links are in the Wiki page Mike linked in post 7

Since you're brand new to this, this article in our wiki (links are always in blue) has links to everything you need to get started. Take your time; there are a lot of new concepts. You may also find that a well structured YouTube search will also help...

Mike
One of the links on the Getting Started page is this one with programming tips.

(The title mentions other models, but your WS-1065 programs exactly the same way as the older models referenced on that page's title.)

wowologist

Certifiable
I dont find any difference in the Win500 from the EZ-Scan that comes with the whistlers...I use Ez-scan and it works just fine.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I dont find any difference in the Win500 from the EZ-Scan that comes with the whistlers...I use Ez-scan and it works just fine.
Various versions of EZ-Scan are only used on the Whistler database scanners, as well as the preceding GRE & RadioShack models that also used the database. It will not work on the WS1065.

Win500 (as well as PSREdit500 & ARC500) work only on the non-database versions of object oriented digital scanners, and will not work on any of the database scanners at all.

wowologist

Certifiable
Various versions of EZ-Scan are only used on the Whistler database scanners, as well as the preceding GRE & RadioShack models that also used the database. It will not work on the WS1065.

Win500 (as well as PSREdit500 & ARC500) work only on the non-database versions of object oriented digital scanners, and will not work on any of the database scanners at all.

Ahh that's why, that series (6 series) I dont have any of. Thanks for the info!

DJ11DLN

IIRC, Mr. Starr wrote the original versions of E-Z Scan/RS iScan. So they are sort of "cousins," I guess you could say.

Status
Not open for further replies.