whistler ws1065

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPATEK

I am trying to program a WS1065 scanner. To my knowledge, the program was successful from this site to the scanner, but now the scanner is not receiving any radio transmissions. I used the PSREdit500 program to program the scanner. Lavaca County is the county I am trying to program.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to program a WS1065 scanner. To my knowledge, the program was successful from this site to the scanner, but now the scanner is not receiving any radio transmissions. I used the PSREdit500 program to program the scanner. Lavaca County is the county I am trying to program.
Check to make sure that the channels you downloaded were successfully sent to the scanner. Also make sure that they are assigned to a scan list, and that list is enabled for scanning.

If possible, post your programming file. You'll need to either rename the file extension to *.txt or, using Windows Explorer, right click on the file and choose "Sent to Compressed (Zipped) Folder". Then, attach the resulting file to a post. (The default file extention for PSREdit500 files is *.BIN. BIN is not an acceptable file to be attached to a post here in the forums.)

DPATEK

Check to make sure that the channels you downloaded were successfully sent to the scanner. Also make sure that they are assigned to a scan list, and that list is enabled for scanning.

If possible, post your programming file. You'll need to either rename the file extension to *.txt or, using Windows Explorer, right click on the file and choose "Sent to Compressed (Zipped) Folder". Then, attach the resulting file to a post. (The default file extention for PSREdit500 files is *.BIN. BIN is not an acceptable file to be attached to a post here in the forums.)

Attachments

• SCANNER SETUP.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 20

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Pretty simple fix.

Here's a partial screenshot of your Conventional frequencies:
1602703131329.png
Notice that while many of your channels are assigned to Scanlist 1, when you look at the General Configuration tab (the one that's farthest left), only Scanlist 1 is enabled.
1602703290251.png

The attached file, "Lavaca", is your original file, but with the other scanlists enabled (only the lists where you have something entered).

I also named the Scanlists for clarity. That name will scroll across the screen when scanning the list it's assigned to.

I modified the Welcome text, to suggest that you can customize this as well. On my scanners, I include my name, email & phone # with a "reward if found" line. (Just in case someone honest runs across the scanner and would return it.) Change that to whatever you want, if anything.

1602704230452.png

I should note that, when you are using web import, unless you choose otherwise, everything downloaded is assigned to Scanlist 1.

Attachments

• Lavaca.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 7

DPATEK

Ok, that didn't help; someone told me it might have something to do with the mode or something like that. Below is a snippet of what radioreference database shows...

Lavaca County

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
158.79750 WQAW527 RM465 NACLavaca SO 1Sheriff Dispatch P25 Law Dispatch
154.22750 WQAW527 RM465 NACLavaca SOSheriff P25 Law Dispatch
154.86000 KXE596 RM107.2 PLLavaca SO 2Sheriff Secondary FM Law Tac
155.13750 WQKD544 RM107.2 PLLavacaFDFire Dispatch FMN Fire Dispatch
158.77500 WPRJ380 RMLavacaCoFireFire FM Fire Dispatch

DPATEK

Did it at least scan the scanlists? I loaded hiegtx's file and it worked. Of course I couldn't hear anything as I'm not in Lavaca County.
Yes it did scan the lists, but no transmissions came through.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes it did scan the lists, but no transmissions came through.
Check your squelch settings. On that scanner, the squelch is a separate ring under the volume knob. Sometimes, when turning on & setting the volume, the squelch can be inadvertently set too high because it is being moved along with the volume. That was a common glitch with my PSR-500, which is the GRE version of what now is the WS1040, but the knob configuration (squelch & volume stacked together) is the same as your WS1065.

Are you using the original telescoping antenna? Or a different one? If using an external antenna, like a roof mount), your coax might be bad. If you are not using the original telescoping antenna, try changing to it. If you have a totally different antenna that is not currently being used, try it as well.

I double checked the file, and it matches what the database shows. I do see one frequency licensed to the county that is not shown in the database:
156.0225 on WREW650
However, that is not licensed as a repeater, only as a base with mobiles on the same frequency.

I don't see any new licenses for the county or Yoakum, so it does not appear that they changed frequencies. That's why I suggested that you check the squelch as well as the antenna, and see if you then start hearing your local agencies. As your city (Yoakum) straddles the Lavaca/Dewitt county line, I took a look at that county, to see if there was a difference for the city. On the Dewitt page, the PD frequency, 155.2500, is labeled as "encryption being used", and only shows the digital frequency on that page; the analog version of 155.2500, which is on the Lavaca page, is not listed on Dewitt.

DPATEK

Check your squelch settings. On that scanner, the squelch is a separate ring under the volume knob. Sometimes, when turning on & setting the volume, the squelch can be inadvertently set too high because it is being moved along with the volume. That was a common glitch with my PSR-500, which is the GRE version of what now is the WS1040, but the knob configuration (squelch & volume stacked together) is the same as your WS1065.

Are you using the original telescoping antenna? Or a different one? If using an external antenna, like a roof mount), your coax might be bad. If you are not using the original telescoping antenna, try changing to it. If you have a totally different antenna that is not currently being used, try it as well.

I double-checked the file, and it matches what the database shows. I do see one frequency licensed to the county that is not shown in the database:
156.0225 on WREW650
However, that is not licensed as a repeater, only as a base with mobiles on the same frequency.

I don't see any new licenses for the county or Yoakum, so it does not appear that they changed frequencies. That's why I suggested that you check the squelch as well as the antenna and see if you then start hearing your local agencies. As your city (Yoakum) straddles the Lavaca/Dewitt county line, I took a look at that county to see if there was a difference for the city. On the Dewitt page, the PD frequency, 155.2500, is labeled as "encryption being used" and only shows the digital frequency on that page; the analog version of 155.2500, which is on the Lavaca page, is not listed on Dewitt.

Ok, I tried the squelch. It is as low as I can put it before it has static. I am using the original telescoping antenna. Is there any way to find out if they are digital phase I or Phase II? Does the ws1065 cover Phase II? Could that be the issue?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The digital channels for your county, as well as Dewitt and Gonzales County, are conventional channels, not trunked. A conventional digital (P25) channel can only be P25 Phase I. The only system type that can use P25 Phase II is a trunked system.

Your WS1065 will not handle P25 Phase II, but in your specific case, that does not matter since none of your systems are trunked.

Are there any other transmitters near you? Like a TV or FM broadcast tower? Or anything else?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Also, in some cases, PCs, monitors, routers, & broadband modems generate interference. Try turning one or more of thse off for a short time to see if you note any improvement.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Try pressing the "WX" button and see if you can receive your local NOAA weather broadcast. If not, then perhaps you have a bad/broken antenna connection.

Hope that helps.

DPATEK

Try pressing the "WX" button and see if you can receive your local NOAA weather broadcast. If not, then perhaps you have a bad/broken antenna connection.

Hope that helps.

I did that; I can hear it, but it's very staticky

DPATEK

I think the antenna connector is broke, because it is loose and wobbles when I attach the antenna.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I have worked with a lot of people and their scanners. you say its loose. I have had a couple people have issues, yours sound like this.

Connector is BNC, means you push the antenna on with the antenna slot to fit the the tab thats on the scanner side connector then once pushed in you turn it till you see and feel the antenna slides into the slot of scanner antenna tab connector.
I found a video showing this a few times.

Another to look at is my FAQ’s look at tips 4, 7, 11 and of course 13

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I think the antenna connector is broke, because it is loose and wobbles when I attach the antenna.

Try listening to a weather broadcast and move the loose/wobbly antenna around, see if it improves at some point. If so, then there's your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.