Whistler WS1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I also appreciate the fine service Jeff gave me when I ordered my 1080 last week. Now getting more used to some of the features, certainly different from the 436HP.
A couple of questions. When I have 3 or 4 scan lists scanning, each with a different trunking system or site, the scanner seems to pop through each system/site, scanning very fast. All well and good. But if I would like to hold on any one scan list, or set a hold time of 5 sec, like I do with the 436HP, is there anyway to do this. Or do I have to enable only that one scan list to do this.
Also, is there any control software for virtual control out for these PSR-800/WS-1080 scanners that anyone knows about. I still have not used the discriminator output feature yet with Unitrunker or DSD Plus, but will get around to that.
Thank you.

Steve AA6IO
Steve

IowaGuy1603

But if I would like to hold on any one scan list, or set a hold time of 5 sec, like I do with the 436HP, is there anyway to do this. Or do I have to enable only that one scan list to do this.

I have an 800 not a 1080

No you can't "hold" on a scan list or set your hold time on a scan

When I do this I just pop the other scan lists off............ You CAN hold on a frequency or a talk group by hitting SEL while the frequency or talk group is active---it will hold on that spot and wait for further traffic until you hit menu and start the scanning again

jackj

According to what I've read, a Whistler 1080 is a PSR800 so it's performance will be the same.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for information above
Just put a video of 1080 on LAPD P25 here in LA.
Link is Whistler 1080 on LAPD P25 - YouTube
Pretty slow LAPD traffic at 5:30 in the morning.
This is my first video on YouTube, so quality not the best.
You will hear some P25 distortion that I do not get on 436HP. Comparison videos to follow in couple of days.
Steve AA6IO

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Hard to say ... I have owned one (or more) of every digital scanner and its really a toss up. All have benefits and negatives.

Right now the 436 is my *current* favorite... but the larger GRE's (500 etc) & the 996XT have such good sound quality.

Kris out of the three listed in your signature which is your favorite? I have two of those and I'm always curious.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
When I listen to LAPD on my Whistler WS-1065 I get absolutely no P25 distortion at all. I am also using a ventenna on-top of a second story roof from about 40-50 miles from Los Angeles. Also, I am using low loss LMR to absolutely no signal loss on a 100 ft run too.

So go figure since I am so far anyways. It all depends on so many factors. If you lived within the City of Los Angeles limits you would probably not get any distortion. Plus with these Whistler radios they have the best digital decode, but still love the bullet proof BCD996XT and the BCT15X.

I wish had the best of both worlds.

mrkelso

$459.95
Tax:
$0.00
Total:
$474.70 With shipping UPS ground.

Is anyone cheaper?

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Usually shipping takes a little bit longer on these items unless you contact them and see if they can ship ASAP. But the price is absolutely a good price and you have EBAY buyers protection in-case something happens to the radio. Good Luck. Hope the software worked for you

ronw

Premium Subscriber
does anyone own a pro 106 and have recently bought a whistler 1080. what iam after here is to find out if there is a noticeable difference in sensitivity, and are their any real noticeble advantages that the 1080has over the pro 106. any information would be appreciated.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The 106 has a better speaker in my opinion... its deeper bassier BUT that has to do with the szie of the radio vs the much smaller/thinner 1080 and hence probably smaller speaker on the 1080.

The 1080 is a phase 2 radio with north america pre-programmed in it... that is the major advantage of it.
If you dont live in an area with Phase 2 and you dont travel around a lot then it may not be worth it for you.

does anyone own a pro 106 and have recently bought a whistler 1080. what iam after here is to find out if there is a noticeable difference in sensitivity, and are their any real noticeble advantages that the 1080has over the pro 106. any information would be appreciated.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
The WS-1080/PSR-800 has a much larger memory capacity for storing multiple systems. The ability to record transmissions on the SD memory card is also quite handy.

plato

WS-1080 & PSR-800

Question: Will the SD card from the WS-1080 work in the PSR-800 and visa-versa? Will the SD card in the BCD436,536HP work in the WS-1080, PSR-800? Let me know. Thanks. Dave Richman-aka "Plato"

Question: Will the SD card from the WS-1080 work in the PSR-800 and visa-versa? Will the SD card in the BCD436,536HP work in the WS-1080, PSR-800? Let me know. Thanks. Dave Richman-aka "Plato"

Ummmm, I highly doubt that the SD card from Uniden would work in a different manufacturers product... LOL

Ed6698

I will be receiving my WS1080 this coming Monday, looking forward to getting it. I like that it uses 4 aa batteries, that way I can keep my cycling of rechargeable batteries in the proper order. That was one of my biggest turnoffs to the 436, only uses 3 aa. With getting the WS1080 I will be ready when the county switches to a 700mhz P25 Phase II system here at the beginning of the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.