Whistler WS1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiomanNJ1

Despite the many messages letting people know it is the exact same radio some people don't want to believe it is exactly the same just a different label and from what has been said a different color display.

The software is the same also.

Ummmm, I highly doubt that the SD card from Uniden would work in a different manufacturers product... LOL

WA3RTH

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Whistler is no better than the PSR-800, and in fact during a side-by-side comparison in Prince George's County, Md., the PSR-800 outperformed the Whistler 1080, despite them both being basically the same radio. BOTH radios suffer from simulcast distortion and the entire missing of calls, but the PSR-800 worked much, much better.

Additionally, the PSR-800 works much better than the new Uniden BCD536HP in P.G. County, at least where we conducted the side-by-side test in the Hyattsville area. (On a related note, the Uniden BCD436HP did much better than the 536 (not sure why), and seemed to have less trouble with simulcast transmissions.)

But at the end of the day, NONE of them work well in the TDMA simulcast environment.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Only if you format the SD card and re-write the card using the new scanners software. In which case whats the point just keep the same card in the same scanner.

You wouldnt be able to just switch the card back and forth.

Question: Will the SD card from the WS-1080 work in the PSR-800 and visa-versa? Will the SD card in the BCD436,536HP work in the WS-1080, PSR-800? Let me know. Thanks. Dave Richman-aka "Plato"

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Whistler is no better than the PSR-800, and in fact during a side-by-side comparison in Prince George's County, Md., the PSR-800 outperformed the Whistler 1080, despite them both being basically the same radio. BOTH radios suffer from simulcast distortion and the entire missing of calls, but the PSR-800 worked much, much better.

Additionally, the PSR-800 works much better than the new Uniden BCD536HP in P.G. County, at least where we conducted the side-by-side test in the Hyattsville area. (On a related note, the Uniden BCD436HP did much better than the 536 (not sure why), and seemed to have less trouble with simulcast transmissions.)

But at the end of the day, NONE of them work well in the TDMA simulcast environment.

Also, the Whistler WS-1065 is the same as the GRE-PSR 600 too. Just packaged different.

Sorry for the bad news too. But still a great radio for trunking and the digital decode of the radio. Just don't expect too much. I use it as a 3rd radio

namouw

GRE PSR500 available on Amazon

There are now some new GRE PSR500 available from Abetterwaytobuy. They are listed on Amazon as well as Abetterwaytobuy.net @$259.95.

mark40

Premium Subscriber
Jumped on that deal a few weeks ago. So far very pleased.
Needed an upgrade from my analog 125AT, to monitor a phase I system and an 800 Mhz frequency. Didn't actually need phase II (yet) but for that price it was worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.