fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Better pic showing cable:

dbsmZ.jpg

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
In the above picture, the cable is terminated with RJ45 connectors and is about 1.0 meters long.

No indication if that is true CAT5/CAT6 cable (i.e. wired the same way). If it is, there's a possibility you could replace it with a CAT5/6 cable of your desired length (so long as the radio doesn't have a hard time driving its control panel with a longer cable).

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Looks like it should be long enough. Thank you.

On a side note, I see it's labeled as the GRE PSR 900. What's that about? Pre-whistler I assume...? ;)

Jay911

Feed Provider
I appear to be on somebody's ignore list, but for the benefit of others, I'll post -

Nobody knows how the radio mounts. It hasn't been released yet. For all we know, only the one shown at CES (in the pictures above) is the only physical copy in existence.

One would expect the radio body mounts similarly to other base/mobile radios, with a C-shaped bracket and thumbscrews. Holes for the thumbscrews are visible in the photo.

No mounting bracket holes are visible on the control head in that photo, so it's anyone's guess how it is to be mounted. Perhaps there's a slide-on adapter like on some ham radios (such as the Kenwood TM-D710/RC710).

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Thsnks for all of these great photos. I didn't know that the new unit was actually going to have a bona fide operational detachable head - I was under the impression that it was merely a removable face. And I like the cable choice too. Looks robust!

BTW Jay911 - I don't think you're being ignored, you simply didn't provide answers to the questions - at least not clear ones anyway.

whisper16

Ws1095

If you search for the GRE PSR-900 pre release thread here on radio reference there are some pictures of the unit starting at post 178. If Whistler produces the WS1095 the same way as shown in the pictures then the remote head has two magnets on the rear.

There is also a video on you tube. Just search GRE PSR-900.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you LI

BTW Jay911 - I don't think you're being ignored, you simply didn't provide answers to the questions - at least not clear ones anyway.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing and trying to figure out if or what I should say about it. ;)

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
That sounds rather neat

If you search for the GRE PSR-900 pre release thread here on radio reference there are some pictures of the unit starting at post 178. If Whistler produces the WS1095 the same way as shown in the pictures then the remote head has two magnets on the rear.

There is also a video on you tube. Just search GRE PSR-900.

I sure hope this supposed model is going to be what you guys are saying it is.

It's shaping up to be exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Jay911

Feed Provider
BTW Jay911 - I don't think you're being ignored, you simply didn't provide answers to the questions - at least not clear ones anyway.

I was thinking the same thing and trying to figure out if or what I should say about it. ;)

Hmm. I provided crystal clear answers.

"The wires are included?" "It's connected to the rest of the radio by a cable." (meaning, yes, of course they're included - you can't use the radio without them)

"How long is the cable?" "1.0 meter." (meaning, 100 centimeters, or 3.28 feet, or 39 3/8 inches)

I guess you can't please everyone. Whatever, carry on.

LIScanner101

"The wires are included?" "It's connected to the rest of the radio by a cable." (meaning, yes, of course they're included - you can't use the radio without them)

"How long is the cable?" "1.0 meter." (meaning, 100 centimeters, or 3.28 feet, or 39 3/8 inches)

You get an A for effort :)

LIScanner101

I noticed they used a regular SD card, unlike the microSD the new Unidens use. Is this a spring-loaded socket? I sure hope so.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Your answers were clear, Jay. Some people have comprehension problems, that's all.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Anyone take notices as to what's missing on the detachable face? I see no speaker for audio:(

There's no real estate for a decent speaker. You're much better off to add an aftermarket speaker which can be placed wherever you want it. No doubt the main body of the radio has a speaker output. It probably has a speaker too, for those who want to use the radio in one piece.

I'd bet that more people will like that arrangement rather than a tiny, tinny, speaker taking up space on the remote head.

SCPD

QRT
PSR-900 clone

I'm selling my Uniden 536HP in favor of the PSR-900,I think it will sound better,I love my PSR-800!
The speaker is on the bigger half of the radio,this is a detachable face like a ham radio.
My GRE gets more hits and doesnt scan right past anything ,although nothing is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.