Whistler WS1095

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Marcotor
Which P2 system. RICS or CWIRS? I would like to program it in my WS-1080 and try it out. I receive both well here in Cerritos Thank you.

Steve,

RICS, but upon review I believe it has more to do with with my location and the sensitivity of the 668 (CWIRS booms here). I'm at the top of OC (Yorba Linda), my 436 seems to do just fine when I am north of the 605 on business.

SOFA_KING

Improved EZscan Software

I hope Whistler can give EZscan a couple of improvements.

1 - NAC/CTCSS/DCS column in the audio recording index section.

2 - RSSI peak reading column in the audio recording index section.

3 - The ability to either copy and paste index page into Excel, or export it.

I use my WS 1080 to collect data as I travel, but even though the display shows NAC and signal, EZscan doesn't on the Audio Section screen. That would help a huge amount in capturing complete data for later review. Of course, I would also like to see these features on the WS 1095. That will be my home data recorder.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Just pre-ordered from HamStation for the low price of 499. Plus shipping! Seems very reasonable. Can't wait to see this scanner, I think this is going to be very popular!

trido

Premium Subscriber
confirmed
thanks
I keep you and all up to date later on shipping.

Just pre-ordered from HamStation for the low price of 499. Plus shipping! Seems very reasonable. Can't wait to see this scanner, I think this is going to be very popular!

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Unit WILL NOT have IF OUTPUT capability like the PSR-800.
Confirmed with Whistler via e-mail today.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Control Head size

So now that these scanners are close to coming out, it's time to start anticipating and planning mounting locations. I have downloaded the specs and dimensions on the scanner but I do not see anything showing the dimensions of the control head portion of the scanner. Does anybody have those dimensions?

DonS

The head is approximately 158W x 45H x 31D. All dimensions in millimeters.

The depth measurement (31mm) includes approx. 1mm for the magnets on the rear, but does not include 12mm for the knob.

Keep in mind that the head does not have any mounting holes, bosses, etc. Just the magnets.

EDIT: also, if the head is mounted remotely, you'll have a cable sticking out from the right-hand side, in roughly the middle of that face.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply DonS. I figured if anyone had that information you would. It's much appreciated.

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
EZScan for WS1095?

Is there--or will there be soon--an update for EZScan to support the WS1095? Since the WS1080 and WS1095 are so similar, will it be the same software (current 2.03 update only shows 1080), or will there be a separate version for the 1095? If so, will it be able to share the current 1080 files?

DonS

There will be a separate version of the app for the WS1095. There are some minor differences (e.g. no batteries) between the scanners in the radio-wide settings. However, the data files, with the exception of the one that contains these radio-wide settings, can be shared between all of the scanners in the "family": PSR-800, PRO-18, WS1080, PRO-668, WS1095.

marksmith

There will be a separate version of the app for the WS1095. There are some minor differences (e.g. no batteries) between the scanners in the radio-wide settings. However, the data files, with the exception of the one that contains these radio-wide settings, can be shared between all of the scanners in the "family": PSR-800, PRO-18, WS1080, PRO-668, WS1095.
Interesting. If you try to load the 1095 with a 1080 or PSR 800 set of files, will it just ignore the battery info, or will you need to do something to delete a file before you can do this?

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

DonS

Interesting. If you try to load the 1095 with a 1080 or PSR 800 set of files, will it just ignore the battery info, or will you need to do something to delete a file before you can do this?

The "battery" fields in the file are used in the WS1095 for other purposes, so you might get unexpected (though harmless) behavior. Also, some other fields (not user-configurable) in the file have different values depending on whether the scanner was built by GRE or Whistler (e.g. RSSI bar thresholds, due to a replaced component).

If you want to copy existing files between the scanners in the family and you're already running the PC apps for the various scanners, you can do this:
1. Close any of the "EZScan" apps that might be open
2. Find the directories where the scanners' data files are stored. The path will be of the form:
My Documents\<scanner>\CDAT
where <scanner> is:
PSR-800: "EZ Scan Digital"
PRO-18:"iSCAN Digital"
WS1080: "WS1080 Digital"
PRO-668: "PRO668 Digital"
WS1095: "WS1095 Digital"
3. Copy everything but the "ISCAN___.GLB" file from the source scanner CDAT directory to the target scanner CDAT directory.
4. Using the target scanner's PC app, copy the configuration to the scanner's SD card.

For example, if I wanted to copy PSR-800 data files to the WS1095, I'd copy everything in:
My Documents\EZ Scan Digital\CDAT
to:
My Documents\WS1095 Digital\CDAT
with the exception of ISCAN___.GLB
Then I'd use the WS1095 PC app to copy the configuration to the WS1095's SD card.

marksmith

The "battery" fields in the file are used in the WS1095 for other purposes, so you might get unexpected (though harmless) behavior. Also, some other fields (not user-configurable) in the file have different values depending on whether the scanner was built by GRE or Whistler (e.g. RSSI bar thresholds, due to a replaced component).

If you want to copy existing files between the scanners in the family and you're already running the PC apps for the various scanners, you can do this:
1. Close any of the "EZScan" apps that might be open
2. Find the directories where the scanners' data files are stored. The path will be of the form:
My Documents\<scanner>\CDAT
where <scanner> is:
PSR-800: "EZ Scan Digital"
PRO-18:"iSCAN Digital"
WS1080: "WS1080 Digital"
PRO-668: "PRO668 Digital"
WS1095: "WS1095 Digital"
3. Copy everything but the "ISCAN___.GLB" file from the source scanner CDAT directory to the target scanner CDAT directory.
4. Using the target scanner's PC app, copy the configuration to the scanner's SD card.

For example, if I wanted to copy PSR-800 data files to the WS1095, I'd copy everything in:
My Documents\EZ Scan Digital\CDAT
to:
My Documents\WS1095 Digital\CDAT
with the exception of ISCAN___.GLB
Then I'd use the WS1095 PC app to copy the configuration to the WS1095's SD card.
Perfect. Exactly what I needed to know. Just the "from" scanners global settings file should be excluded, as with other swapping among the family.

I guess I will learn what the unexpected harmless behavior is eventually.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

DonS

I guess I will learn what the unexpected harmless behavior is eventually.

Some examples of what can/will happen if you copy the .GLB file between different scanner models:
  • RSSI bars would be messed up if copying between GRE and Whistler builds. The only way for the user to "fix" this is by deleting the file or restoring all settings to factory defaults in the affected scanner's PC app (same effect as deleting the file).
  • Between WS1095 and all other scanners, the "backlight mode on batteries" setting in the handhelds conflicts with the "Clock Display" function in the WS1095.
  • Between WS1095 and all other scanners, the function of the "backlight mode" (not on batteries) setting is different.
  • Between WS1095 and all other scanners, the battery alert time and battery charge time settings in the handhelds conflict with some knob mode settings in the WS1095.
I have a "master" configuration that I use on 9 scanners (a mix of alpha, beta, and release hardware for various members of the "family"). I never copy the .GLB file, though I could copy between the WS1080 and PRO-668 with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.